IGNORED

Good outer layer for very cold weather?

Note: This thread is 3800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play when it's cold during the winter.

My usual dress is an underarmour base layer, followed by a coldgear long sleeve golf shirt. Then a Footjoy performance sweater or heavy fleece. My current outer layer is a pullover lined windbreaker.

I'd like a better outer layer and would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks.

I go with an underarmour long sleeve turtleneck, a polo, and a light jacket.  With that, pants, and a winter hat, I'm fine walking 18 down to 32*.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All about the wind and keeping my feet dry for me. Usually a compression t-shirt, mock neck and mid weight wind shirt is enough. I wore summer weight Nike pants most days last winter. If it was below 32 I wore compression bottoms. Hand warmers and Titleist mittens did more than anything. Amazing what warm hands do for you.

Dave :-)

FJ Performance sweater or Mizuno Windlite work great for me.  I wear UA Cold Gear Infrared as base layer with sweater on top and if it's really cold I'll throw on a UA Cold Gear vest as the top layer.

Joe Paradiso

Underarmor or Nike winter compression shirt and a turtle neck. Nike pullover.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

hand warmers, purchase in costco or BJ's, $13 for a box. start out with a compression shirt, than a FITTED shirt (UA or whatever), than a loose (light) thermal type. years ago the thickness of these 3 items would have equaled 1 heavy shirt. outter layer should be another light jacket. i use a sun mountain rain jacket. you can use long or short sleeve.. this is a non-bulky attire. as for the ball i would think a soft compression would be better.

If I am going to play in really cold weather, I have a Thermasilk base layer set.  I wear the bottoms, then a pair of cotton pants and if need be my rain pants over the top.  I will wear the Thermasilk top, then a turtleneck (not mock) shirt so I can leave the neck unfolded to cover more of my neck, a long sleeve polo shirt over the top.  If need be, I will wear a lined pull over windshirt or my rain jacket over the top to knock off the wind.

I have found with the Thermasilk stuff, you have to make sure the temps are not going to start out cold and warm up quickly.  Your upper body may get a bit too hot if it does and you find yourself pealing off everything to get the Thermasilk top off.

One of the things that bothers me a lot is for my neck to be cold.  So from my hunting days I have several neck gaiters and I will wear them playing golf on really cold days, even if I have a turtleneck on.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Titleist mittens did more than anything. Amazing what warm hands do for you.

yes, no doubt!   I never liked wearing cold weather golf gloves so I carry a pair of Mittens too and wear them between shots when it gets cold.  It makes a HUGE difference and it's all I need.

When it comes to outer wear.....3 layers works for me with temps down in the 30s.  I wear a long sleeve t-shirt on the bottom/long sleeve-Under Armour crew or turtle neck over that, and then a lined wind short on top......and I'm good to go.  I ride and use a cart cover so I am toasty warm even with wind chills in the teens.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!