IGNORED

Workout BEFORE or AFTER golf?

Crim
Note: This thread is 1960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, kenhockey2 said:

Thanks for sharing the research article on AD vs Passive warm up on golf performance. 

Thanks for sharing your experience

17 hours ago, JCrane said:

I think you answered your own question. It works ! 

Please share your experience using yoga movements as a warm up and cool down for golf. 

Jcrane.....what is your opinion on incorporating Pilates into a golf routine? 

I do not believe in using Yoga to warm up or cool down for golf or anything else unless it is part of a sustained program of dynamic and static movements to move the body to a place where it is better equipped to handle whatever it is we need it to do. If we try to stretch muscles in a short period of time, they are only going to fight back and limit range of motion. I believe that is what the study showed.

If you are interested, try my topic Change-test your core and balance. try  these 3 exercises to see how your core and balance is. Let me know how you did

I also have : Breath with movement and ten minutes to pain free golf.

Thanks for asking

Jim

6 hours ago, kenhockey2 said:

Please share your experience using yoga movements as a warm up and cool down for golf. 

Jcrane.....what is your opinion on incorporating Pilates into a golf routine? 

Pilates is a cousin of Yoga. I have done it along with Yoga for years. It really emphasizes the core muscles, but also adds strength in other muscle groups. 

Like Yoga, it works with your own body strength and limitations. 

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

I agree with you. Older athletes need to warm up and cool down after sports participation to prevent injury and muscle recover.

What is your light workout?

Depends on your athletic state, what kind of workout, how heavy it is and what you want to prioritize. When I did a 5x5 program, I would always lift weights before playing golf. Working out before playing didn't help my golf game, I was definitely more wornout at the end of the round, but the other way around would not have worked out either. Heavy lifting after 18 holes of golf is just not ideal and can more easily lead to injury.

If you do lighter workouts it doesn't matter as much, but again it's about where you want priority to be.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You have a good routine combining golf with fitness activities. You are taking proactive steps to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle.

My favorite warm up activity before playing golf is doing 15-30 mins on tge elliptical machine. I kill two birds with one stone.....warm up the upper and lower body and develop some cardiovascular fitness. Also, you do 30 sec HITT followed by 90 secs of low intensity intervals.  Research suggest HITT workouts burns more calories than steady state elliptical training. 

Thoughts?

Edited by kenhockey2

26 minutes ago, kenhockey2 said:

You have a good routine combining golf with fitness activities. You are taking proactive steps to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle.

My favorite warm up activity before playing golf is doing 15-30 mins on tge elliptical machine. I kill two birds with one stone.....warm up the upper and lower body and develop some cardiovascular fitness. Also, you do 30 sec HITT followed by 90 secs of low intensity intervals.  Research suggest HITT workouts burns more calories than steady state elliptical training. 

Thoughts?

sounds like you have a routine that thoroughly warms up the muscles and you are smart enough to take the extra time to do it.

On days I go to the golf center to hit, chip, and putt practice.....I still to my warm up and cool down routines (Elliptical machine and resistance bands). 

1 hour ago, kenhockey2 said:

On days I go to the golf center to hit, chip, and putt practice.....I still to my warm up and cool down routines (Elliptical machine and resistance bands). 

Brilliant !

12 hours ago, Jstrike said:

This is a great thread...I've been researching a lot of different physical conditioning workouts for golf lately. I fall in the 'workout after golf' category.  

Pre-Round:  Dynamic Stretches.  Then start short wedges working up to driver.  If I'm golfing in the morning, my goal is to feel warm and loose.  If the round of golf is later in the evening, I may do a quick 10 minute medicine ball workout or light kettle-bell along with a lot of dynamic movements at least 2 hours prior to the round.  Isometrics or elastic bands works too.  

Post-Round:  Static Stretches or strength workout.  If you are going to be lifting heavy weights, my research has all pretty much said to take the next day off entirely.  Although I still golf the next day on occasion.  

The most important part of what you are saying is that you are preparing your body for golf like it is a sport like any other sport which it is. Let me know if you do static stretches all the time. I do believe there is some confusion with those type of stretches. I personally believe static stretching works if you do them on a regular basis  because you get past the stretch reflex and move into length.All in all you are going to have less injuries and a longer golf life with what you are doing.

I perform static stretching movements after fitness workouts and sport participation. The purpose is to maintain upper and lower flexibility and muscle stiffness.

26 minutes ago, kenhockey2 said:

I perform static stretching movements after fitness workouts and sport participation. The purpose is to maintain upper and lower flexibility and muscle stiffness.

excellent

I have found that going for a run on the days I play golf helps me (about 20-25 minutes). If I lift weights on days that I play, it tends to make me lose my tempo.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Do you do long slow distance or intervals when you go on a run before playing golf?

I do not lift heavy weights, 90-100% of my 1 RPM, before going to play golf. My muscles will be tight and fatigue. I would lift weights, 70-80 % of 1RRM after playing golf. The round of golf will serve as a warm up before engaging in weight training workout. Finally, recover with a protein shake, shower, and take a 45-60 min nap.

The dumbbell power clean and push press is another warm up exercise I use prior to playing golf. Strength and Conditioning coaches call this "The Athletes exercise." This movement strengthens both upper and lower body. Plus it develops explosiveness. I perform 3x8 with 60-70 % of my 1 RPM. 

Thoughts?

I usually workout after golf because I would not want to be worn out before the round. I do typically do some warming up and stretching before each round though.

42 minutes ago, kenhockey2 said:

The dumbbell power clean and push press is another warm up exercise I use prior to playing golf. Strength and Conditioning coaches call this "The Athletes exercise." This movement strengthens both upper and lower body. Plus it develops explosiveness. I perform 3x8 with 60-70 % of my 1 RPM. 

Thoughts?

Power cleans are more of a workout exercise than a warm up movement especially at those weights and reps.

Note: This thread is 1960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!