IGNORED

How do you beat the winter blues

iHack
Note: This thread is 3748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to play winter golf on the weekends all winter if there wasn't snow on the ground.  I have my own cart cover which makes a big difference.   I preach the benefits of playing early during warm summer months, but it's not possible in the winter. I normally play winter-golf late morning to give frost a chance to thaw,  and the frigid early morning temps a chance to moderate.

My son started bowling about 18 months ago, and this put an end to winter golf.   The little dude and I will bowl from noon-4/5pm!  We usually bowl at least 15 game each...LOL   22 games each is our record.... I put bowling first because it's quality father/son time.  Sooner or later, he'll ditch his old man and I'll have the rest of my life to play golf in the winter.  For now.....I bowl.  LOL

With today being Black Friday, we're going bowling today ;-)

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Well, my girlfriend said that I'm getting a golfing net for Christmas from her parents which I'm somewhat uncomfortable with but I've decided this is going to be an opportunity to put it in the back yard and really practice making consistent contact and using the mirror indoors to practice my swing in slow motion.

I also expect to practice chipping and pitching but that will likely be secondary.

I'll also practice putting indoors on the carpet but that's also on the secondary level.

I also plan on keeping playing until I can't.  Played when it was 26* this morning and didn't really bother me much at all.  I have a friend who is crazy enough to do it with me, so, should be good to go...unless is snows.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, my girlfriend said that I'm getting a golfing net for Christmas from her parents which I'm somewhat uncomfortable with but I've decided this is going to be an opportunity to put it in the back yard and really practice making consistent contact and using the mirror indoors to practice my swing in slow motion.

I also expect to practice chipping and pitching but that will likely be secondary.

I'll also practice putting indoors on the carpet but that's also on the secondary level.

I also plan on keeping playing until I can't.  Played when it was 26* this morning and didn't really bother me much at all.  I have a friend who is crazy enough to do it with me, so, should be good to go...unless is snows.

Wow, was I way off with my previous comment about your getting new irons. Seems like you would have ample opportunity to use them. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I play as far into the golf season as the weather allows.  That may mean some partially frozen turf conditions.  As long as there is not much snow cover and the temperatures are above 32 degrees I will consider playing.  Once the snow cover becomes permanent, I will re-grip my clubs, clean and re-spike my shoes, cleanout the golf bag and generally take inventory in the golf corner of my basement.  Take a long weekend trip to FL or TX and drag along the sticks.  Watch some golf on TV (maybe starting with the Crosby/AT&T;).  Walk the local course in the snow with my wife for exercise.  Workout.  Work on my golf scrap book; this will be a banner year what with all the St. Andrews photos and stuff to catalogue.  Look at my golf scrap book.  Build a snowman and place a golf club in his "hands".  At some point the winter weather begins to break. I will hit the course before all the snow has melted and marvel at the fact that I survived another northern winter.

Brian Kuehn

My home club just shut down the par 3, which would have been much more fitting for the winter. I've determined that 38 degrees is ok if there is minimal wind, so I'm sitting on the 10-day forecast for most of the winter.

Theres plenty to keep me entertained during the off-season.  Watching hockey, playing hockey at the local rink, March Madness, hitting up the local golf dome, golf simulator and putting practice on the living room carpet.

For me, the off-season is a nice time to recharge the batteries and prevent myself from getting burnt-out on golf.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Great opportunity to work on the putting stroke in the living room.

this ... plus i've incorporated chipping into the corner recliner when the wife's in the other room.   Hit a chip, then a putt - so it's more realistic & not just grooving each stroke.

Played in 33°F weather on black friday - cloudy & windy.    Pretty much as raw as it gets.     Not alot of fun, but it was better than sitting home watching golf channel.   Only thing is that I strained / pulled my shoulder - been struggling with that all weekend & Ben Gay'ing it up constantly.     I think it's my body telling me to relax, I've played over 100 rounds this year - need to recover, so the time off will be a good thing (still tough to not go).    Cold weather golf is way more injury prone - so be careful out there ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

Wow, was I way off with my previous comment about your getting new irons. Seems like you would have ample opportunity to use them.

Haha, yup.  This Saturday it's supposed to be in the 30's so it will be a bit better.

I'm ready to go until it snows!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly this year I welcome the break. I still practice daily at home but I'm not jonesing to get out on the course. It's been 50's-60's this week and I haven't felt the need. I'm sure I'll get out soon but it has to be the right day. Course conditions are bad enough already that I can live without it. I plan to take it easy through the holidays and start hitting the gym harder in Jan to prep for spring.

Dave :-)

Hoping to get out this weekend, suppose to be in the high 50's on Saturday and high 60's on Sunday!!! I'm thinking driving range on Saturday and running over to the home course on Sunday for 18. Bonus (for me) is the Eagles don't play until Sunday night so can still get out mid-day and not miss the game, only downside is I will have to put off Christmas shopping for another day but its not like this will be the first year I find myself scrambling at the mall on Christmas Eve.

Just made a tee time for tomorrow morning here in Raleigh. I don't live here but business is concluded today and I'll leave tomorrow afternoon after the golf. Going to be sunny and 70.

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Note: This thread is 3748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!