IGNORED

Favorite playoff system?

Alex B
Note: This thread is 5818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Favorite playoff system (for majors)

• Sudden death (e.g. the Masters)
    • 3-hole aggregate score (e.g. the PGA Championship)
    • 4-hole aggregate score (e.g. the Open Championship)
    • 18 holes (e.g. the US Open)

For majors? 18 Hole Playoff without a doubt.

In The Bag:
905R UST V2 Stiff
906F2 UST V2 Stiff
3DX dc 17* Stiff
2300 IM 4-PW Stiff CG 12 Black Pearl 52*, 56*, 60* C67 Pro V1x

For those saying the sudden death, four-hole playoff, and three-hole playoff aren't fair, who cares?!? If the player won the tournament before the playoff, they wouldn't have to worry about it. I love the U.S. Open, but an 18-hole playoff is too much for my liking. Get the two golfers out there and let them settle it the same day. There is no reason to waste another day when there are so many tournaments and travel arrangements to keep up with.

I can agree a sudden death probably isn't the best choice in a major or big tourney like The Players, but still, it's really not that big a deal because every player has the chance to keep the tourney from going to a playoff.

I hate next-day playoffs in any situation, especially the 18-hole playoff.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From a fan's perspective, I prefer the 3-4 hole playoff over a full 18 hole playoff. Nothing irks me more than investing my weekend in watching the U.S. Open and then having to go to work on Monday and being unable to watch the 18 hole playoff.

I agree... it is a good compromise, still enough space to make up for a bad shot or counter a lucky shot, but not so long it requires an additional day (usually).

I would prefer an 18 hole round. It's the most fair. If the sudden death, three, or four hole playoffs are played on holes that heavily favor one person's playing style but not the other...then it simply isn't fair. Playing the entire course again gives a fair chance for everyone involved.

I disagree... chances are 4 holes will have enough variety. If none of the 4 closing holes are to a players favor, then most likely they were disadvantaged by much of the course.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

It's a major, and for it to come down to a quirky chip-in (sorry Larry Mize) just doesn't feel right.

Luck playing a huge factor (like the Mize chip in) doesn't sit well with me either, but something about the 18-hole playoff doesn't sit well with me either. I feel both the three and four hole aggregate score playoffs are reasonable for finding a deserving winner. That being said when it comes to majors I like that each has a different system, and that the different systems helps to keep each one of the majors unique.

Something that would make the Masters more unique would be if they had playoffs on the par 3 course. (I'm not saying its a good idea, but it might be interesting to see).

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

After what happened yesterday at The PLAYERS, I would have to agree with you.

Dude...I'm glad you said it!!! I was thinking the exact thing today. That playoff should begin on 16. I don't have a problem with 17 other than you should not start a playoff on it.

"You're not good enough to get mad. Enjoy the round." Arnold Palmer to Jim Leyland.

Driver: Taylormade r5 80 10.5
Irons: Taylormade RAC OS 3-PW True temper reg flex
Hybrid: Nike Rescue 18* graphite stiff flexWedge: Taylormade RAC 56* satinWedge: Cleveland Tour Action 60*Putter: Odyssey White...

I voted for the Open's 4 hole playoff. Instant sudden death brings too much luck into the equation and a full 18 hole playoff on Monday drags the event out too much and probably lessens the interest by average fans.

How about a 9 hole putt-off on the practice green like we do at the local muni?

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

i like the 18 hole playoff because the more golf the better.... in my opinion.

In my bag:
r7 Driver 9.5*
3 and 7 wood
3dx Hybrid 17*
3-PW DCI 990 irons 56* Hooter SW CG10 60* Wedge White Hot XG 2 Ball Putter Pro V-1

4 holes. Get it finished on the day, 1 is too short 18 too many.

Driver - RAM FX V
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Hybrid - Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21 degree
Irons - Titleist DCI 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG10, 52, 56, 60 degree
Putter - Rife Antigua

What is with all this "luck" talk? I can't believe another golfer would attribute luck to these athletes skill. Was it luck Adam Scott made a 50' putt to win in sudden death?

I think sudden death proves how important every stroke matters. One extra stroke will cost you the win, no making it up, no second chances, do or die. It's a + for the spectators and is fair in every way.

The way I wish playoffs were played were each player chooses a hole to play and the two-hole playoff begins. If it's tied, each player has to select a different hole that has not been selected, tied again, keep going. If it goes to the entire course, so be it. And since they get to ride on carts for playoffs, it would not be very time consuming riding all around the course.

So I guess my votes for 4-holes, although I have no problem with sudden death. An extra 18 is very bad for golf, no one wants to wait another day for there to be a victor, golf ends sunday

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

18 holes is a regulation round, not 3 or 4, or 1. Play a full round to see who's best.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I have laways felt that mometum should still be a factor in a playoff. If there is an 18 hole playoff the next day, all momentum is diminished. However, a four hole aggregate playoff still determines who is playing the better golf while keeping the momentum that sifted so much throughout the day.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I know its not really plausible but I voted for 18. If you really want to know who is better between two people, pit them against each other for a full 18 holes. People can argue that handling the pressure of one hole will determine it, but I disagree.

the Larry Mize got lucky comment isn't terribly fair to Larry. He just as well could have chipped in on 18 and basically played the same way. Why is it all of a sudden lucky and unfair to Norman that they played 2 extra holes before he beat him by 1?

I favor a 3-4 hole playoff because it can cover up a serious mistake, but it's not long enough to require additional days. You forget that they already played 4 days and couldn't find a clear cut winner, why keep dragging it out?

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I enjoy the 4 hole playoff at the BRITISH Open, but am not opposed to all majors being 18 hole playoffs. Sudden death is fine for regular events.

Driver: R7 425 9.5 degree
3 Wood: 904F 15 degree S300
Hybrids: 585h 21 and 24 degree S300
Irons: 755's 4-PW reg steel
Wedges: 52 and 56 degree wedges with lead tape covering the label (unsure of which design) and a Vokey spin milled 60.08 Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select 33"Bal...

I think a three hole playoff works. How great would The Players have been to have Sergio and Goydos replay 16, 17, and 18? At least it wouldn't have come down to a badly timed gust of wind.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Sudden death for me,It shows whos got the bottle.

Maybe they could do what the society I play with does in the event of a draw.After 2 hours in the 19th we have a putt off on the practice green.Great fun, I can just see Tiger now swaying over his ball with one eye closed

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Note: This thread is 5818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!