IGNORED

Homeschooled for golf?

Kelzzy
Note: This thread is 1359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all,

I've been hearing that some kids are homeschooled from highschool so they can play golf all day. Is this true, or just a myth? If true, would you say they have an advantage.. also, would you say that you cannot make it into the PGA without doing that in high school? I'm not homeschooled, so...

I ask this because after school, I go straight to the golf course and practice until dark. However, with daylight savings, I am only getting 3 or 4 hours of practice these days.. my Dad says that unless you have all day to practice, i.e. being homeschooled, you won't make it to the pros. Your thoughts?

On the weekeneds and school breaks, I practice from morning to dark, so whenever I can it's usually 12+ hours on the course, but it's not all the time.

You do not have to practice all day everyday to be a pro imo. You just have to practice wisely and be focused when you are practicing. Your body wou ld wear down if you practiced all day everyday.

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd say that you may be at a disadvantage compared to the kids who are homeschooled, but it doesn't mean you can't make it without being homeschooled.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Being homeschooled shouldn't keep a kid from being on the local high school's golf team - I think it's pretty much mandated that public schools open up their extracurriculars to homeschooled kids.

Having said that, I agree with SloverUT - practicing all day every day will wear a person out physically and mentally.  I would think that the amount of golf you are playing sounds about as much as, if not more than, I'd ever want my kid to play, even if she did have LPGA aspirations.  And speaking of the LPGA tour, Lexi Thompson was homeschooled, although she did have a number of older brothers who were also competitive golfers.

I don't know if the homeschooled people I've encountered are representative, but the ones I've met are all somewhat lacking in social skills, reminding me a bit of how a single child who never went to preschool might react in kindergarten.  They came from ultra-religious type backgrounds and were homeschooled to avoid such "sins" as learning science.  These several guys were fairly driven and successful, but I don't think they had a lot of friends.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Do you expect to make the pros?

A school environment gives you so much more than the "technical" skills that you learn in the classroom. It gives you a chance to interact with other kids and teachers. You learn a lot about being a social human being. I thought about sending my kids to the K12 program, but decided that there is too little interaction with other kids and teachers. If you are not in a bad area, and don't have any special needs I would strongly recommend against this path.

The chances you will make the pros are not that high. I don't say this based upon your current or potential skill level, but based upon the number of slots available.

If you join a high school team, the coach (no matter how bad) will spot your talent. You have a chance to play to the CIF level (I remember you mentioned you are in NorCal), and that would be the best way to propel your potential career.

My kid is currently a freshman with a 10-14 hcp trying out for varsity golf, but he doesn't really think he has a chance nor does he care. There are a quite a few sub-5 hcp freshman in his school, so he will be satisfied with JV.

His friend from grade school is also a freshman with a 3hcp, and doesn't think he can make varsity at his school.

There is a lot of competition even at the high school level, and you need to be prepared to pit yourself against your own high school and all the other ones in your state before considering a career as a pro.

I would recommend the standard path for a more rounded education that will give you a plan B.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

We teach juniors in Florida who take high school via cyber school and spend a lot of their time golfing, practicing, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

my Dad says that unless you have all day to practice, i.e. being homeschooled, you won't make it to the pros. Your thoughts?

Majority of pros playing on the various world tours weren't homeschooled so......

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 year later...

I know I'm late to this party; however, through a google search I located it.  I'm a father of a homeschooled son.  We did not choose homeschooling because of golf, as a matter of fact, my son had not played real golf until 2 years ago, but when he did, he did it with passion and is doing very well in tournaments.  We use golf as a way to motivate him in his studies knowing very well the chances of going pro in golf are very slim for anyone... He should be able to get his college education paid for but outside of that, it's all about his work ethic and natural talent.  Now to your point... I would say homeschooled kids can spend more time on the golf course, in the gym, on the court etc... simply based on the inefficient systems in both private and public education.  Homeschooling really allows best practices to be put into play and while I believe there is a concern for socialization in homeschooling, I believe the concern is greater for the socialization inside of the education systems.  Ask yourself "what am I really learning?"... Don't be afraid to think both on an educational front and a socialization front.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Coach Dan - HSAA Golf said:

This is simple, look at the stats, how many top players were homeschooled?  Jordan was not. DJ, Nope.  Rickie, No....

Welcome to The Sand Trap. This thread is pretty old.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 year later...

My son is being home schooled and stills needs to find him a golf team. Does anyone know how to do that? We live in East Central Florida. His public school that we are zoned for doesn't have a golf team so I am just lost on what the next options are. Any help or advise will be great! He's going into 11th grade this year.

Note: This thread is 1359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!