IGNORED

what forms of golf etiquette do you ignore and why?

tqcishark
Note: This thread is 3403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The etiquette instance I ignore most of the time during non tournament or match golf is marking my ball, If I feel its not in their line of sight, I just leave it. I don't even ask.  If they ask I'll mark it- they almost never do. the few that do usually miss the putt anyway.

Why? This game is getting so slow that it literally is getting very petty bullshit rules by us recreational golfers ( your name here). it is subtle instances such as these that collectively can make the game a little faster, every second counts.

if my playing partner is farting & fumbling around and wasting time getting to his ball, I'll hit mine even if I'm slightly in front of him if I'm clearly to the ball first & am a few seconds ahead of him (rather than just standing there with my hands in my pocket waiting).   I make sure my hitting the ball doesn't make him wait though ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll recently hit some wedges from around the tee box while waiting for the group ahead to get out of the way.  I was trying to get some distances for 1/2 and 3/4 swings.  Not sure if that is bad etiquette.

If one wants to follow the Rules of Golf, only chipping on the tee is allowed.  Assuming you are okay with bending the Rules a bit, typically small chips and pitches near the tee should be okay as long as you are ready to play, don't damage the course or put anyone in danger (i.e. hit toward another player or group).  A skulled shot can go in the wrong direction very quickly.  1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots seems a bit lengthy to fit all the previous criteria but you are a better judge of that than I.

Brian Kuehn

I play ready golf in most instances.  Generally I observe honors on the tee unless the honoree is dinking around.  Once a hole commences, I have no problem with others hitting out of order as I will also, as long as no one moves too far forward to create a safety hazard.

Brian Kuehn

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Mulligans

I'll recently hit some wedges from around the tee box while waiting for the group ahead to get out of the way.  I was trying to get some distances for 1/2 and 3/4 swings.  Not sure if that is bad etiquette.

If one wants to follow the Rules of Golf, only chipping on the tee is allowed.  Assuming you are okay with bending the Rules a bit, typically small chips and pitches near the tee should be okay as long as you are ready to play, don't damage the course or put anyone in danger (i.e. hit toward another player or group).  A skulled shot can go in the wrong direction very quickly.  1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots seems a bit lengthy to fit all the previous criteria but you are a better judge of that than I.

This was my thought.  Technically, if he's doing more than just chipping, he is in breach of Rule 7-2 (and the rule does not mention pitching, only chipping - half and 3/4 wedges are not chips).

A friend and I used to have a game we played when we had to wait more than a minute or two on the tee.  We would use the club intended for the tee shot (most often that was a driver), and play a chipping game at the tee markers.  Whoever won the fewest "markers" during the round bought a drink.  Sometimes that meant that the "markers" and the round winner canceled out, other times the loser had to buy two drinks.

As far as honor on the tee, I don't always wait for others there  either.  If we are all on the tee and ready, then yes.  But that is often not the case.  Guys are cleaning balls, digging out tees, using the rest room, filling their water bottles, etc., etc.  If I'm ready and the guy who has honors isn't, then I stick a tee in the ground and play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I consider Tournament rounds to be more formal and do my best to observe the rules of etiquette. Unless I feel we are falling behind, I try to observe honors on the tee box.

Everything mentioned hereafter is concerning casual rounds with my buddies.  Unless someone has made a birdie on the previous hole...play ready golf.  I think the reason is obvious on this one.  If we are waiting every hole, we will play chipping games on the tee box until it is time for us to hit (not allowed in the rules but again we are talking casual round...not tournament round). Unless I have to stand in someone's line on the green, I practice continuous putting but I always say "I will finish".  I don't ask, it is just a statement with the purpose being to keep the group moving as quickly as possible.  When we finish on 18, we almost always shake hands.  If I am wearing a hat and sunglasses, I remove both and shake hands.  But, if no hat but wearing sunglasses, I rarely (if every) remove the sunglasses when shaking hands.  No real reason here...just what I do.  I think the one thing that is really hit or miss in my casual groups is marking your ball on the green.  If you are no where near anyone else's line...may or may not mark the ball.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

If we are waiting every hole, we will play chipping games on the tee box until it is time for us to hit (not allowed in the rules but again we are talking casual round...not tournament round).

Read my post above.  This is allowed under the rules unless the committee has made it a condition of the competition to not allow it.  It is allowed in casual or in tournament play as long as it does not cause undue delay.  Since most of only do this when we are waiting anyway, it's perfectly legal under the rules.

Rick

Read my post above.  This is allowed under the rules unless the committee has made it a condition of the competition to not allow it.  It is allowed in casual or in tournament play as long as it does not cause undue delay.  Since most of only do this when we are waiting anyway, it's perfectly legal under the rules.

I should have been a little more clear.  My tournament league does not allow it....condition of competition.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I generally pee when and where necessary.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I don't know if this is etiquette or a peeve, but I don't like people standing (and especially moving) where I can see them during any of my swings. A round last week I had to repeatedly tell a guy not to stand behind me on the tee box. I do it nicely. Another round I had a guy that was moving during my swing and I could see his shadow. I lose focus and usually mishit the shot. Another guy was always standing on the other side of the hole on my line when I was putting. I don't know how many times I had to back off. And he was a good golfer. He should have known better.

@vangator - what do you do when your own shadow is over the ball?  does that distract you?  i find it extremely difficult to concentrate on the ball if my shadow is on it and moving.

do you have a problem with people standing still but still in your range of sight?  is it really possible that you can still see them if they are not moving and you are focused on the ball?  i like to have someone behind me on the DTL view so they can help track my ball, seeing as i can hit it off the planet in any direction.

if my playing partner is farting & fumbling around and wasting time getting to his ball, I'll hit mine even if I'm slightly in front of him if I'm clearly to the ball first & am a few seconds ahead of him (rather than just standing there with my hands in my pocket waiting).   I make sure my hitting the ball doesn't make him wait though ...

@inthehole - i wish more people would do this.  it really doesnt matter who is "away", and i dont view it as a breach of etiquette in the least.  if i am ahead of you and i look back and youre dicking around, not ready to hit, then im hitting and im going to start walking, one eye ahead and one eye behind.

Colin P.

If you didn't, you might get Uromysitisis.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I've starred to remove just my sunglasses on the 18th green. I figure that making my face and eyes visible is common courtesy, but I would agree that taking the hat off can be overboard. That and I've realized that nobody really wants to see your sweaty hair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

If you didn't, you might get Uromysitisis.

Come on, let's at least be reasonable.  I'm 68 years old and I have the usual "old man's disease", yet I can hold it until I find a proper facility, and most courses have either a rest room or port-a-john strategically placed, usually at least once on each side, as well as the clubhouse at the turn.  I rarely have to pee more than once in the 4 to 5 hours that it takes to play a round of golf, so it can always be taken care of appropriately for a public setting.  I will qualify that by saying that I rarely drink beer while playing, but I do drink from 20 to 40 or more ounces of water, depending on weather.

Rick

Come on, let's at least be reasonable.  I'm 68 years old and I have the usual "old man's disease", yet I can hold it until I find a proper facility, and most courses have either a rest room or port-a-john strategically placed, usually at least once on each side, as well as the clubhouse at the turn.  I rarely have to pee more than once in the 4 to 5 hours that it takes to play a round of golf, so it can always be taken care of appropriately for a public setting.  I will qualify that by saying that I rarely drink beer while playing, but I do drink from 20 to 40 or more ounces of water, depending on weather.

On hot tournament days it can be a real issue, especially if there's only one bathroom on each side. I will usually drink about half a gallon of water per side (20 oz water bottles filled at every opportunity, so three or four times per side). Combine that with the constant bladder jostling as you walk and a slow round and you have to find some place to relieve yourself in the bushes occasionally. As long as it's not anyplace that someone might reasonably hit a golf ball and it's shielded from the other's view, it's reasonable enough. I've also heard that quite a few pros use the secluded 13th tee at Augusta National as an opportunity to free their bladders, so it's not like this is just a bush league kind of thing.

I have to admit that I am lousy about replacing/sanding divots.  Most of my years of golf were spent as a flipper where I didn't take divots on good shots so I only associated divots with fat shots.  I haven't yet learned to recognize that I take a divot on most iron shots now and often fail to address them.  I do try to fix at least two ball marks on every green I play so hopefully golf karma will give me a little break on the divots.

I do find it amazing how golf etiquette/protocol changes according to where you are.  The people who invented the game (Scots) are by far the most relaxed about it all while their next door neighbors in England are by far the most uptight about it.  Regionally in America can vary dramatically as well.

Randal

@vangator - what do you do when your own shadow is over the ball?  does that distract you?  i find it extremely difficult to concentrate on the ball if my shadow is on it and moving. do you have a problem with people standing still but still in your range of sight?  is it really possible that you can still see them if they are not moving and you are focused on the ball?  i like to have someone behind me on the DTL view so they can help track my ball, seeing as i can hit it off the planet in any direction.

I see movement. If someone is standing I not only see them, but I am waiting for them to move. Double Whammy. Putting through my own shadow doesn't bother me since I concentrate on the ball once I line up.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I have to admit that I am lousy about replacing/sanding divots.  Most of my years of golf were spent as a flipper where I didn't take divots on good shots so I only associated divots with fat shots.  I haven't yet learned to recognize that I take a divot on most iron shots now and often fail to address them.  I do try to fix at least two ball marks on every green I play so hopefully golf karma will give me a little break on the divots. I do find it amazing how golf etiquette/protocol changes according to where you are.  The people who invented the game (Scots) are by far the most relaxed about it all while their next door neighbors in England are by far the most uptight about it.  Regionally in America can vary dramatically as well.

I fill as many divots as I find on the fairway. I usually empty both sand bins on my cart. When I walk, I have to refill my sand bottle every hole. I figure I'll be landing in that unfilled divot on my next round. I also fix all ball marks I can find on a green.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

With regard topros peeing on the golf course: we went to the only men's international tournament to be played in Germany this year (BMW International Open), where many of the world's top players were playing (Stenson, Kaymer, Garcia, etc.). I was astonished to see that several pros simply walked to te edge of the fairway and stood in front of the bushes with their backs to the crowd to relieve their bladders. I have no qualms about peeing in the bushes on the course, but will try to ensure I'm out of sight of others by going into the bushes, behind a large tree, etc.

If you are playing in hot weather and drinking a lot, you are going to sweat most of it out anyway - it's never going to make it to your bladder!

Note: This thread is 3403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!