IGNORED

True distance vs imaginary distance.

iHack
Note: This thread is 3715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Forced carries are the only way I know to tell how far you carry.

Same here. There's a sign at one of the courses I regularly play that says "240 yards to carry the hazard," and I carry the hazard, so that was one of the ways I learned.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Same here. There's a sign at one of the courses I regularly play that says "240 yards to carry the hazard," and I carry the hazard, so that was one of the ways I learned.

I tried to look for ball marks on the fairway, but unless I am playing on a pristine or really soft fairways there is no way to tell.

The other thing is temperature variations can make almost a 10% difference. I play in the afternoon and the mornings. I typically can depend upon 7% to 10% longer distances in the afternoon (75F to 85F) versus morning (45F to 50F). The ball makes a 4% difference, air density maybe 2% and the rest is probably the way I react to cold?

So, when someone says they average 240, I would assume that includes various play conditions. So, in summer months they might average 252 and winter they might average 228.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I tried to look for ball marks on the fairway, but unless I am playing on a pristine or really soft fairways there is no way to tell.

The other thing is temperature variations can make almost a 10% difference. I play in the afternoon and the mornings. I typically can depend upon 7% to 10% longer distances in the afternoon (75F to 85F) versus morning (45F to 50F). The ball makes a 4% difference, air density maybe 2% and the rest is probably the way I react to cold?

So, when someone says they average 240, I would assume that includes various play conditions. So, in summer months they might average 252 and winter they might average 228.

this is why I love Ohio in early spring. You get a good couple days of rain, plus the soft ground from snow melt, then you get perfect embedded ball situation. INSTANT CARRY DISTANCE!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Is it just me or do people seem more concerned about how far they their drive than how accurate their approach yardage is. When I roll up to my ball I'm not thinking wow I really crushed that. I just want to be sure I grab the right club for the next shot. That's my only yardage concern.

This ^

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Is it just me or do people seem more concerned about how far they their drive than how accurate their approach yardage is. When I roll up to my ball I'm not thinking wow I really crushed that. I just want to be sure I grab the right club for the next shot. That's my only yardage concern.

This ^

I just started using my rangefinder so I am ranging everything in sight. :-D

Seriously, the only reason it comes into play is that my yardages vary so much from morning to afternoon due to a 20 to 30 degree F change in temperature. It's nice to know what to expect based upon the first drive. The other thing is I choose the tees I will play based upon yardages as well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

The 18th hole on my home course has a plaque that says "240 yards to carry left bunker", and it's dead on.  However, the bunker sits in the corner of a sharp dogleg on a mound that's 8 feet above the fairway and the same above the tee.  To me that means that I actually need about a 250 yard equivalent.  I've carried that bunker many times, but not in the last 3 years.  My length has dropped such that I just can't do it any more.  I can still carry the right bunker on the mound with a good strike, and that carry is about 15 yards shorter.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I just started using my rangefinder so I am ranging everything in sight.

Seriously, the only reason it comes into play is that my yardages vary so much from morning to afternoon due to a 20 to 30 degree F change in temperature. It's nice to know what to expect based upon the first drive. The other thing is I choose the tees I will play based upon yardages as well.

First you are likely to have an extra layer on in the AM especially with the temp swings as you describe.  It may not be the temp as much as you would think. 2nd Use a ladies ball in the morning or a srixon soft....plus they are cheap

Quote:

I just started using my rangefinder so I am ranging everything in sight.

Use a ladies ball in the morning or a srixon soft....plus they are cheap

I was just thinking about that, but was not that confident it would really work. Thank you.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I was just thinking about that, but was not that confident it would really work. Thank you.

But you are a "work in progress"......what wouldn't really work?  Its a golf ball and you are playing golf.

your words not mine. :surrender:

Quote:

But you are a "work in progress"......what wouldn't really work?  Its a golf ball and you are playing golf.

your words not mine.

True enough ;-) , I have nothing to lose but a few bucks.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The 18th hole on my home course has a plaque that says "240 yards to carry left bunker", and it's dead on.  However, the bunker sits in the corner of a sharp dogleg on a mound that's 8 feet above the fairway and the same above the tee.  To me that means that I actually need about a 250 yard equivalent.

You're right, the height difference requires a longer carry distance. One of the courses I play has a short par 4 at 285 yards or so. The first time I played there, my friend asks me if I'm gonna go for it. On a perfect drive I might have a chance, if only the green wasn't 12 feet above the tee box. I have a rangefinder, so I've used that as a way to figure out my carry distance, as well. There are times when I've carried it into fairway bunkers and gotten measurements based on the distance to the bunkers. I like the Google Earth and I plan to use it with my rounds to get a better grasp of my actual distance. I have an idea now, but I'll know with certainty by the end of the season. One of the things I've discovered already is how much distance I lose when I slice it as opposed to hitting it relatively straight.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Just something to be aware of when using Google Maps from a cellphone.

GPS accuracy can be up to several meters depending on your GPS signal and connection to local towers.

If you really want to do the job properly you need to use a hand held sat system which with the latest devices using either degrees, minutes and seconds or MGRS should give you close to five meters accuracy. Civilian applications that provide greater accuracy such as this used by Oil and Gas companies which are hugely accurate cost tens of thousands of dollars.. The alternative is to use a laser measuring system which are, depending upon how much you are prepared to spend, 'almost' spot on. Final thought for obtaining distances, take time with a club fitter who uses Trackman or something similar. They are pretty much on the mark as well.

Just my two penny worth.

Just my two penny worth.

Lately (when I get bored) I go to Google Maps and check the carry distance for hazards on courses I used to play. Since I used to never see a shot I thought I couldn't hit I almost always tried anything and everything no matter how ridiculous it looked. Looking back on some of those ridiculous (and unsuccessful) attempts now that I know the distances is funny. It would have saved me a lot of golf balls if I had known.

Just something to be aware of when using Google Maps from a cellphone.

GPS accuracy can be up to several meters depending on your GPS signal and connection to local towers.

If you really want to do the job properly you need to use a hand held sat system which with the latest devices using either degrees, minutes and seconds or MGRS should give you close to five meters accuracy. Civilian applications that provide greater accuracy such as this used by Oil and Gas companies which are hugely accurate cost tens of thousands of dollars.. The alternative is to use a laser measuring system which are, depending upon how much you are prepared to spend, 'almost' spot on. Final thought for obtaining distances, take time with a club fitter who uses Trackman or something similar. They are pretty much on the mark as well.

Just my two penny worth.

And two pennies is about all it's worth.  While it is possible for them to be off 3-5 yards with a dedicated handheld unit, in actual use I've never seen that much error except on a buddy's SkyCaddie when the battery was low (that one was all over the charts, up to 30 yards or more).  Normally when I've verified by using 2 GPS units side by side, or by using a laser to check it (I used to carry both), they have typically been within 2 yards of each other every time.  That also holds true when I compare my GPS reading against Google Maps (on the computer).  My home course has professionally lasered fairway distance markers, and my Garmin is dead on with them.

GPS reliability does go down in some settings.  If you are in a deep canyon, in among tall buildings as downtown in some big cities, in a very dense forest - these can have a varying effect on GPS reception, but I've only experienced any of these issues with the GPS in my car, and then only in some spots in downtown Denver when the signal gets bounced around by the buildings.  It's never been an issue driving up any of the canyons into the mountains.

However, these conditions are rarely found on a golf course, so it would be rare to have such issues when playing.  I've found my Garmin G5 to be both accurate and reliable 100% of the time.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I agree with @Fourputt .  I downloaded the SkyDroid app, which costs $2, when I had to send my rangefinder in for service.  When I got it back, I used both at times and the SkyDroid app was within a yard of the laser read.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Lately (when I get bored) I go to Google Maps and check the carry distance for hazards on courses I used to play.

Since I used to never see a shot I thought I couldn't hit I almost always tried anything and everything no matter how ridiculous it looked. Looking back on some of those ridiculous (and unsuccessful) attempts now that I know the distances is funny. It would have saved me a lot of golf balls if I had known.

My personal favorite of the most stupid shots I ever tried to hit (before I knew any better). Had no idea how far it was but it looked to me like I should be able to do it. :doh:

Only 382 yards. Exactly 0% chance.

GPS reliability does go down in some settings.  If you are in a deep canyon, in among tall buildings as downtown in some big cities, in a very dense forest - these can have a varying effect on GPS reception, but I've only experienced any of these issues with the GPS in my car, and then only in some spots in downtown Denver when the signal gets bounced around by the buildings.  It's never been an issue driving up any of the canyons into the mountains.

However, these conditions are rarely found on a golf course, so it would be rare to have such issues when playing.  I've found my Garmin G5 to be both accurate and reliable 100% of the time.

I've find myself in a very dense forest on the golf course every now and then....GPS doesn't help :-D

Bill

My Swing Thread

[SIZE=12px]Just something to be aware of when using Google Maps from a cellphone.[/SIZE] [SIZE=12px][COLOR=444444]GPS accuracy can be up to several meters depending on your GPS signal and connection to local towers.[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=12px][COLOR=444444]If you really want to do the job properly you need to use a hand held sat system which with the latest devices using either degrees, minutes and seconds or MGRS should give you close to five meters accuracy. Civilian applications that provide greater accuracy such as this used by Oil and Gas companies which are hugely accurate cost tens of thousands of dollars.. The alternative is to use a laser measuring system which are, depending upon how much you are prepared to spend, 'almost' spot on. Final thought for obtaining distances, take time with a club fitter who uses Trackman or something similar. They are pretty much on the mark as well.[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=12px][COLOR=444444]Just my two penny worth.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I covered this in an earlier post, and even included a link to the NAVSTAR specifications. The improvements made by the commercial companies are using time delay of the phases of the first packets received from any satellite. The more satellites, the more accurate the time delay measurement, and the sub Navstar accuracy of the position. I only carried my rangefinder to measure my club distance for a about a month, and my Galaxy 3S is surprisingly accurate. To verify both of them I took many landmark readings along each hole, and verified them with Google Earth. The differential GPS systems are accurate to cm, which we verified many times while testing robots.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!