IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

here are my stats from my round today by the way. my FIR and GIR are pretty close to normal. putting is about 4 strokes off and penalty strokes are way over and just little misses causing blow up holes

Pars - 1

Bogeys - 9

Doubles - 3

Triples - 4

Quads - 1

6/13 FIR

6/18 GIR

37 putts

5 Penalty Strokes

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

Easy to pile on the putts under stress.

QFT. One early tournament, I 3-putted from something like 9 inches. :8)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

QFT.

One early tournament, I 3-putted from something like 9 inches.

that makes me feel a little better :beer: i had a 1 foot putt that went all the way around the cup and came back at me 6 inches haha

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

that makes me feel a little better :beer:  i had a 1 foot putt that went all the way around the cup and came back at me 6 inches haha

Lol, I had one (about 2' ... Did a 180 and came right back towards me) today as well. The holes were cut really sharply.

Lol, I had one (about 2' ... Did a 180 and came right back towards me) today as well. The holes were cut really sharply.

haha maybe it was the same hole lol. mine was hole 8 i think. the green with the crazy valley in the middle of it haha

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

@KyleAnthony ... did you go back over your round and find any other things that stood out?  Specifically, did you do anything stupid?

Here's what I mean:  I go back over my bad tournament rounds, and I can always find a few times where I forgot to "take my medicine."  For example, after a bad drive, I try to hook one around a tree to get to the green, put myself in a worse position, and now, at best I'm looking at double.  Sometimes, I even compound that one by doing something even stupider, and end up with a triple or higher.  Another stupid thing is to get cute and try to make par by getting up and down over a bunker to a tucked pin, dump it in the bunker, and make double or worse.  The smart play is to just get the dang thing on the green and try to 2-putt for bogey, and who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and make a putt.

You'll realize that to win a tournament, you'll likely have to have a really good day.  The winner of my group is frequently shooting the same score (or sometimes even better) as the 4-8 guys, however, its usually a quick dropoff after that.  Same with your flight.  The winner will probably frequently by down in the low 80's, but it rises fast from there.  If you avoid big numbers, just play bogey golf and throw in a couple of pars, you can frequently finish near the top.  Sometimes all you have to do is avoid dumb mistakes.

Also, don't forget that you played a nice course, with some really tricky pins**, that you'd never played before.

**You must have noticed that they put most all of the pins in the trickiest spots, right?  Think of the two par 3's with water (15 and 5); they put both pins down on the low tier by the water.  If you don't try the risky shot by going at the pin, you will HAVE to make, at best, a 12 footer coming back up for par.  There is no way to get the ball close on your first putt from those top tiers.  I 3-putted both of those holes from the top tier, but didn't mind it too much, because the way I was striking the ball, had I tried to go for the pin, I'd have likely stuck a couple into the water.

@KyleAnthony ... did you go back over your round and find any other things that stood out?  Specifically, did you do anything stupid?

Here's what I mean:  I go back over my bad tournament rounds, and I can always find a few times where I forgot to "take my medicine."  For example, after a bad drive, I try to hook one around a tree to get to the green, put myself in a worse position, and now, at best I'm looking at double.  Sometimes, I even compound that one by doing something even stupider, and end up with a triple or higher.  Another stupid thing is to get cute and try to make par by getting up and down over a bunker to a tucked pin, dump it in the bunker, and make double or worse.  The smart play is to just get the dang thing on the green and try to 2-putt for bogey, and who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and make a putt.

You'll realize that to win a tournament, you'll likely have to have a really good day.  The winner of my group is frequently shooting the same score (or sometimes even better) as the 4-8 guys, however, its usually a quick dropoff after that.  Same with your flight.  The winner will probably frequently by down in the low 80's, but it rises fast from there.  If you avoid big numbers, just play bogey golf and throw in a couple of pars, you can frequently finish near the top.  Sometimes all you have to do is avoid dumb mistakes.

Also, don't forget that you played a nice course, with some really tricky pins**, that you'd never played before.

**You must have noticed that they put most all of the pins in the trickiest spots, right?  Think of the two par 3's with water (15 and 5); they put both pins down on the low tier by the water.  If you don't try the risky shot by going at the pin, you will HAVE to make, at best, a 12 footer coming back up for par.  There is no way to get the ball close on your first putt from those top tiers.  I 3-putted both of those holes from the top tier, but didn't mind it too much, because the way I was striking the ball, had I tried to go for the pin, I'd have likely stuck a couple into the water.

well to be honest what messed me up was ball striking, i did have 5 3 putts too which was terrible. all of which i was on the green in regulation. i think I'm so frustrated just because it is ball striking. in fact 4 holes i cuffed my drive maybe 20 yards and bogeyed the hole at worst doubled. so i think i need to slow down and just hit the shot. I'm hoping i can figure it out by the 9th. I'm headed to the driving range tonight to take some video to show you guys stuff i've been working on, flattening swing a little, tempo, and such

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

@Golfingdad also i happened to hit all par 3 greens except the 4th i hit it off the toe and it didn't make it to the green. lol its just putting all the shots together in 1 hole. it seems like every shot is good with the exception of 1 and sometimes that one bad shot hurts a lot, like OB. although i did hit a great drive one the 2nd hole and it kicked hard right and rolled like 20 feet into the water… that sucked

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

posted a swing update on "my swing" thread

http://thesandtrap.com/t/71448/my-swing-kyleanthony/36

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Playing Sierra Lakes today so we will see how that goes. I'm going to try slowing everything down and play smarter golf. as for the rest of the week i'll be trying to work on key #4 and see if i can grasp the concept. post another video on my swing thread thursday probably

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

• Administrator
Playing Sierra Lakes today so we will see how that goes. I'm going to try slowing everything down and play smarter golf. as for the rest of the week i'll be trying to work on key #4 and see if i can grasp the concept. post another video on my swing thread thursday probably

To be clear I don't know if 4 is your priority right now. It's probably 1 or 2 (4 will improve too). Your swing is probably the same as when you started so I'd look at the thoughts others shared with you then.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok [quote name="iacas" url="/t/71817/operation-scratch-2014/240#post_944038"] To be clear I don't know if 4 is your priority right now. It's probably 1 or 2 (4 will improve too). Your swing is probably the same as when you started so I'd look at the thoughts others shared with you then.[/quote] ok thank you. I'll keep in mind the head still. That really helped me my last round before the tournament. Thank you

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Ok

ok thank you. I'll keep in mind the head still. That really helped me my last round before the tournament. Thank you

I think it's more 2 (and 3) than 1.  Your head moves a little (in the downswing it looks like it goes a little away from the ball and a little away from the target), but nothing drastic.

I think it's more 2 (and 3) than 1.  Your head moves a little (in the downswing it looks like it goes a little away from the ball and a little away from the target), but nothing drastic.

3 is flat wrist right? How do I work on that? I don't think I know the feeling yet

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

• Administrator
Yeah. It's been awhile since I saw your videos and really tried to analyze them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 is flat wrist right? How do I work on that? I don't think I know the feeling yet

Well, read this to start.  It's really the only proper way to learn anything new. Here is a video where you pre-set your weight forward and take partial swings.  I use it a lot.  (Mainly because it reminds me what really good, crisp contact feels like.)  This could help you feel what its like to have your weight the proper amount forward, and then in turn, get you closer to having a flat left wrist.  I think it's a lot harder to flip at the ball if your weight is far enough forward.

But really, really read that first link.  It's important to start small.  Poses first, then slow and/or partial swings (in your living room or with a mirror) to start getting a feel for the positions, and then gradually work up to faster and longer swings with each new piece.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleAnthony

Well, read this to start.  It's really the only proper way to learn anything new.  Here is a video where you pre-set your weight forward and take partial swings.  I use it a lot.  (Mainly because it reminds me what really good, crisp contact feels like.)  This could help you feel what its like to have your weight the proper amount forward, and then in turn, get you closer to having a flat left wrist.  I think it's a lot harder to flip at the ball if your weight is far enough forward.

But really, really read that first link.  It's important to start small.  Poses first, then slow and/or partial swings (in your living room or with a mirror) to start getting a feel for the positions, and then gradually work up to faster and longer swings with each new piece.

Thanks, @Golfingdad .

The "this" link for the talent code is very interesting reading, and once again shows how much information is on this site. The color on the link is very hard to see on my browser, which is why I missed a link from you in another post.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!