IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I just got back from my Round at Sierra lakes. It was a pretty good and bad day all at once. Here are my stats Score: 43-44 87 FIR: 9/14 GIR: 9/18 Putts: 41 Penalty Strokes: 1 I think my putting has always not been great but since I hit more greens I think it really shows

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

Have you been fitted for a putter?  The only reason I ask is I had this done at the end of 2012 and my putting has improved dramatically.  I honestly had no idea how much of a difference it would make but I was using a putter 2 inches to long.  I had the lie and loft adjusted as well. It really is worth the $.  Last year I would honestly say I probably 3 putted every one to one and a half rounds.  I think I went 60 rounds in a row without a 3 putt.  Compared to how I was pre 2012 you would be amazed. I went from worrying about 3 putting from 30 ft to honestly thinking I could make most putts inside 20.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have you been fitted for a putter?  The only reason I ask is I had this done at the end of 2012 and my putting has improved dramatically.  I honestly had no idea how much of a difference it would make but I was using a putter 2 inches to long.  I had the lie and loft adjusted as well. It really is worth the $.  Last year I would honestly say I probably 3 putted every one to one and a half rounds.  I think I went 60 rounds in a row without a 3 putt.  Compared to how I was pre 2012 you would be amazed. I went from worrying about 3 putting from 30 ft to honestly thinking I could make most putts inside 20.

No I haven't. I never knew you could have a putter fitted for you lol I just thought it was what's comfortable. I'll ask the guy at golfsmith to see how my current putter is compared to what I need

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

I went to a golfsmith and Im very happy with the results. I was so uninformed on how mallets are designed for a certain swing path same for center shaft offset ect.....   It was eyeopening besides I found out that I was hitting a 36 inch putter when I should have been using a 34. I was standing pretty far away from the ball and I was holding the toe up to compensate for the length.  The guy suggested that I stand over the ball more with a shorter putter so I could look down the line I want to start the ball on. Im telling you it was a great experience. I also wasn't sold a putter based on price I was suggested a style based on how I swing the putter and was told to pick one on feel not price or brand. I ended up with a Ping Redwood and like I said it has changed my game drastically.

I went to a golfsmith and Im very happy with the results. I was so uninformed on how mallets are designed for a certain swing path same for center shaft offset ect.....   It was eyeopening besides I found out that I was hitting a 36 inch putter when I should have been using a 34. I was standing pretty far away from the ball and I was holding the toe up to compensate for the length.  The guy suggested that I stand over the ball more with a shorter putter so I could look down the line I want to start the ball on. Im telling you it was a great experience. I also wasn't sold a putter based on price I was suggested a style based on how I swing the putter and was told to pick one on feel not price or brand. I ended up with a Ping Redwood and like I said it has changed my game drastically.

Awesome. Ya they just put in my new shaft for my driver. He did it in 15 minutes and informed about wraps under the grip. Length of shaft and all kinds of stuff. I hope to talk to the same giy

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Kyle are you counting putts from the fringe for the purposes of record keeping? By the same token, are you counting a GIR if you hit it onto the fringe in putting range? I don't think I've ever seen someone hit nearly half of their overall score in putts but you got pretty damn close! If your long game is good enough to hit 50% GIR's (something I rarely do) then that is something to be proud of. But at the same time you really have to tighten up the short game.

Kyle are you counting putts from the fringe for the purposes of record keeping? By the same token, are you counting a GIR if you hit it onto the fringe in putting range? I don't think I've ever seen someone hit nearly half of their overall score in putts but you got pretty damn close! If your long game is good enough to hit 50% GIR's (something I rarely do) then that is something to be proud of. But at the same time you really have to tighten up the short game.

i do not count fringe as GIR or 3 inches in the 1st cut as FIR. i usually am 4-6 GIR for the round. i had a great round today. i didn't think i was doing so bad at putting, but 6 3 putts. one of the 3 putts was for par tho. i hit the left side of the green in 2 on a par 5 and 3 putted. when i hit a green far from the hole 20+ feet, i tend to leave myself around 3-7 feet. when I'm 6 feet out I'm 50/50 on making it. so that is where my 3 putts come from. after my round my buddy said. "Kyle if you would have had 28 putts like a good boy you would have shot a 74." that really hit me and i was like dang. i need to practice putting. my golf swing is decent and if i play my fade its pretty predictable. so i think for this whole week i will be spending at least half an hour putting every day. Friday i will play another round and i will post results. if i do as good as i did today with better putting i might take my friends money haha.

on a side note. i said i hit 9/14 fairways when realistically. i duffed a 3 wood on one hole and hit the fairway, but did not count it because i didn't feel it was right. it only went maybe 50 yards lol

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Hitting more greens is really going to expose your putting because your first putt will tend to be from much further away. Practicing putting is a good idea, but make sure you're doing it correctly; picking a hole on the putting green 20 feet away or something and just smacking putts towards it won't do you any good; get yourself some knitting needles and stretchy string and set up so you are putting under the string and make sure that you are able to consistently start the ball on your intended line. Also, set the string at different distances away from you (10', 20', etc) and work on stopping the ball on the string.

Also, as far as putter fittings go, check out Edel; absolute best money I've ever spent on a club.

Lastly, that "Stupid Monkey" badge that @Golfingdad and a few others have is something that you should be striving to get, especially if you want to seriously improve quickly. Guys like @iacas and @mvmac have great information and when it is implemented and practiced properly you can make big changes, but a bucket or two of balls at full speed won't work. Even when you think you have a piece down, you probably don't. I'm just saying this because I know from personal experience. Last April at the 5SK school, my big piece was to work on stretching my right side more to get a bigger turn and I thought that I had got it down, 7 months later, I have the same problem again and it's because I wasn't practicing properly. I'm getting back to it and have been better in my practice, and I'm seeing some results again, but I have to keep at it. Remember, effective practice doesn't mean you have to spend hours at the range bashing balls; it can be five minutes at home in front of a mirror working on getting to proper positions, posing, and rehearsing swings. Finally, when you practice, don't worry about the results when you practice, if you shank them or top them, whatever; as long as you are working on changing the picture than it is effective; you have to be able to trust yourself that you'll be able to find the ball again once you are back on the course.

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Hitting more greens is really going to expose your putting because your first putt will tend to be from much further away. Practicing putting is a good idea, but make sure you're doing it correctly; picking a hole on the putting green 20 feet away or something and just smacking putts towards it won't do you any good; get yourself some knitting needles and stretchy string and set up so you are putting under the string and make sure that you are able to consistently start the ball on your intended line. Also, set the string at different distances away from you (10', 20', etc) and work on stopping the ball on the string.

Also, as far as putter fittings go, check out Edel; absolute best money I've ever spent on a club.

Lastly, that "Stupid Monkey" badge that @Golfingdad and a few others have is something that you should be striving to get, especially if you want to seriously improve quickly. Guys like @iacas and @mvmac have great information and when it is implemented and practiced properly you can make big changes, but a bucket or two of balls at full speed won't work. Even when you think you have a piece down, you probably don't. I'm just saying this because I know from personal experience. Last April at the 5SK school, my big piece was to work on stretching my right side more to get a bigger turn and I thought that I had got it down, 7 months later, I have the same problem again and it's because I wasn't practicing properly. I'm getting back to it and have been better in my practice, and I'm seeing some results again, but I have to keep at it. Remember, effective practice doesn't mean you have to spend hours at the range bashing balls; it can be five minutes at home in front of a mirror working on getting to proper positions, posing, and rehearsing swings. Finally, when you practice, don't worry about the results when you practice, if you shank them or top them, whatever; as long as you are working on changing the picture than it is effective; you have to be able to trust yourself that you'll be able to find the ball again once you are back on the course.

awesome. thats great advice. thank you. also anytime you wanna play another round i am free most the time haha. i know the retreat has times for $24-$32 all week. i get emails from them

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Also, set the string at different distances away from you (10', 20', etc) and work on stopping the ball on the string.

This is what I would recommend as well.  If you are leaving yourself too far away on lag putts, it's likely a heck of a lot more to do with speed control than it is hitting your line.  I mean, really, how far off do you need to be on line (hitting the line you pick, not reading the correct line) before that becomes an issue on long putts?

Just mark 15' away and work on nailing that distance.  (Oh, and make sure you try and pick a straight putt, and make sure you go both ways half the time ... uphill and downhill)

The other huge bonus on this:  You practice this on the same green all of the time and you'll know, pretty much, exactly what it takes to hit it 15'.  Then you go hit the practice green anywhere you play and hit a couple of 15' footers and quickly determine the green speed in relation to your home course.

get yourself some knitting needles and stretchy string and set up so you are putting under the string and make sure that you are able to consistently start the ball on your intended line.

Also great advice.  I need to do this ... whenever I can get my lazy butt off the range and to the practice green, this is the other drill we should all be doing.

Good stuff @tristanhilton85

i do not count fringe as GIR or 3 inches in the 1st cut as FIR. i usually am 4-6 GIR for the round. i had a great round today. i didn't think i was doing so bad at putting, but 6 3 putts. one of the 3 putts was for par tho. i hit the left side of the green in 2 on a par 5 and 3 putted. when i hit a green far from the hole 20+ feet, i tend to leave myself around 3-7 feet. when I'm 6 feet out I'm 50/50 on making it. so that is where my 3 putts come from. after my round my buddy said. "Kyle if you would have had 28 putts like a good boy you would have shot a 74." that really hit me and i was like dang. i need to practice putting. my golf swing is decent and if i play my fade its pretty predictable. so i think for this whole week i will be spending at least half an hour putting every day. Friday i will play another round and i will post results. if i do as good as i did today with better putting i might take my friends money haha.

on a side note. i said i hit 9/14 fairways when realistically. i duffed a 3 wood on one hole and hit the fairway, but did not count it because i didn't feel it was right. it only went maybe 50 yards lol

Just curious. How big are most of the greens you guys are playing on?

Ya'll seem to hit more greens than I do but also have a lot more putts. It could be (and probably is) that the greens I am usually playing average around 2,300 to 2,700 square feet (pretty small). Easy to miss greens but not a whole lot of chances for 3 putts and a lot of easy chips from close to the greens leaving tap in one putts. I guess it probably all equals out.

Just curious. How big are most of the greens you guys are playing on?

Ya'll seem to hit more greens than I do but also have a lot more putts. It could be (and probably is) that the greens I am usually playing average around 2,300 to 2,700 square feet (pretty small). Easy to miss greens but not a whole lot of chances for 3 putts and a lot of easy chips from close to the greens leaving tap in one putts. I guess it probably all equals out.

uhh idk how big they are compared to other. they aren't huge i don't think. but they aren't crazy small i don't think

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

uhh idk how big they are compared to other. they aren't huge i don't think. but they aren't crazy small i don't think

:-D That's okay. I was just curious. Ya'll make me feel bad most of the time when talking about GIRs. Not a strong point of my game (regrettably).

That's okay. I was just curious. Ya'll make me feel bad most of the time when talking about GIRs. Not a strong point of my game (regrettably).

9/18 is the most i've ever had. i think last round i had 7 and that was the most i've ever had. before that i had a few 6's and mostly 5 GIR

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Got my putter regripped and it feels great so far in the store. off to the putting green.

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Got my putter regripped and it feels great so far in the store. off to the putting green.

They should have mentioned this, but in case they didn't, be careful with it since it takes a little while for the solvent to dry. With a putter you should be fine to use it immediately since you don't take a full swing and there isn't much force exerted on the grip. Thought I should mention it anyway.

Tyler Martin

They should have mentioned this, but in case they didn't, be careful with it since it takes a little while for the solvent to dry. With a putter you should be fine to use it immediately since you don't take a full swing and there isn't much force exerted on the grip. Thought I should mention it anyway.

thank you ya i thought about that. it sat in my back seat for about 3 hours before i used it and now its sitting there again haha. did ok at the putting green but it was so fast and such a big hill it was just frustrating to putt on lol

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!