IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleAnthony

i honestly don't know why my tournaments are so terrible. it is very frustrating. i haven't figured everything out obviously or i would be shooting in the 60's in my casual rounds. i do watch some of the videos in the link erik sent a few pages back and practice often. I'm hoping to play in some SCGA event since they are cheaper and maybe get more tournaments in to calm the nerves or whatever is going on with me in tournament play.

It's simple, your swing is not reliable under pressure maybe a little bit of nerves but I doubt it, I'm sorry to be that blunt but it's the truth. I saw the videos and there are numerous issues that are going to take real time and effort to undo but it can be done if you keep your focus on just a few things at a time. When you say my driver does this or my 3 wood does that so I think I'll go figure this out at the range you need to realize nothing can be done to fix the issues your talking about with a couple buckets. I'm being nice when I say this remember, but you need to get simple with your practice and work only on the drills Mike and Erik gave you and nothing else.

Agreed.

I am not that consistent either, but I do know that any inconsistency is due to a fundamental swing flaw . The drills I am doing are progressive. I start with the basics with every single range session or even on the course.

Just yesterday, I was getting frustrated with toe hits again (The impact marks were only about 1/2" to 5/8" off the sweet spot, but it stings a bit when using my training blade irons), the solution? Practiced Key1 with pitch shots until I got comfortable. Turned out I was picking up my head too soon. Once I got within 3/8" of the sweet spot, I progressed to key 2. Of course, I was already getting my weight forward at impact, but I did not focus on the finish until Key 1 requirements were satisfactory. Next, I would focus on the finish in Key 2, and finally on to Key 3, which is the main emphasis of what I am working on, and the fact that I am changing things here meant that I needed to change the way I did things in the previous two keys (remove flaws).

It's a slow and progressive process, and every time you feel that something is not right you can fix them through the basics by going back a step or two, and doing your associated drills and exercises.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's simple, your swing is not reliable under pressure maybe a little bit of nerves but I doubt it, I'm sorry to be that blunt but it's the truth. I saw the videos and there are numerous issues that are going to take real time and effort to undo but it can be done if you keep your focus on just a few things at a time. When you say my driver does this or my 3 wood does that so I think I'll go figure this out at the range you need to realize nothing can be done to fix the issues your talking about with a couple buckets. I'm being nice when I say this remember, but you need to get simple with your practice and work only on the drills Mike and Erik gave you and nothing else.

I'm going to partially agree and partially disagree with this statement. There is no doubt that Kyle's swing has some serious flaws. Then again, my swing has some serious flaws and I'm about 5-6 strokes lower than him. And my guess is that a 2 or a 3 handicapper would look at their swing and see a ton of things that need to be fixed. As we know, the work never ends.....

That said, there is a difference between working towards the best swing you can produce (which is a long arduous process) and maximizing the swing that you have at your disposal on any given day. The problem I see currently is that Kyle isn't maximizing "his" swing on tournament day. This is not uncommon and whatever the reason - be it nerves, tempo, whatever - it's an extremely frustrating experience. I still remember shooting a 95 in a tournament as a 9.0 index a few years back and feeling about as low as can be. The thing is, there are fixes for this type of performance anxiety (I'm calling it that for lack of a better term) that are completely unrelated to swing fixes. Whether it is drilling down a consistent pre-shot routine, working on visualizations before every shot, or simply playing in so many tournaments that nerves don't bother you anymore.

Of any of my limited golf accomplishments from 2013, the thing I was proudest about wasn't reducing my index from a 13 to an 8, but rather reducing my "delta" in tournaments, to the point that I actually shot below my index in a handful of tournaments last year. Again, for 99% of the population reading this site, the swing flaws are always going to be there, so to say that this is the sole issue is too simplistic in my opinion. I wish Kyle luck it improving the mental side of his game, as I think he will enjoy golf a whole lot more when that happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flopster

I'm going to partially agree and partially disagree with this statement. There is no doubt that Kyle's swing has some serious flaws. Then again, my swing has some serious flaws and I'm about 5-6 strokes lower than him. And my guess is that a 2 or a 3 handicapper would look at their swing and see a ton of things that need to be fixed. As we know, the work never ends.....

That said, there is a difference between working towards the best swing you can produce (which is a long arduous process) and maximizing the swing that you have at your disposal on any given day. The problem I see currently is that Kyle isn't maximizing "his" swing on tournament day. This is not uncommon and whatever the reason - be it nerves, tempo, whatever - it's an extremely frustrating experience. I still remember shooting a 95 in a tournament as a 9.0 index a few years back and feeling about as low as can be. The thing is, there are fixes for this type of performance anxiety (I'm calling it that for lack of a better term) that are completely unrelated to swing fixes. Whether it is drilling down a consistent pre-shot routine, working on visualizations before every shot, or simply playing in so many tournaments that nerves don't bother you anymore.

Of any of my limited golf accomplishments from 2013, the thing I was proudest about wasn't reducing my index from a 13 to an 8, but rather reducing my "delta" in tournaments, to the point that I actually shot below my index in a handful of tournaments last year. Again, for 99% of the population reading this site, the swing flaws are always going to be there, so to say that this is the sole issue is too simplistic in my opinion. I wish Kyle luck it improving the mental side of his game, as I think he will enjoy golf a whole lot more when that happens.

It's absolutely amazing how much of the game, even the swing, can be a mental issue.

Bobby Jones: Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears.”

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

thank you and yes i definitely lack confidence in tournaments. also you mentioned pre shot routines. how important is this? i don't have a pre shot routine or anything

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

I still remember shooting a 95 in a tournament as a 9.0 index a few years back and feeling about as low as can be.

Do you recall whether this was an anomaly or were your other scores in line with this?  I ask because I think your case would be different.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

thank you and yes i definitely lack confidence in tournaments. also you mentioned pre shot routines. how important is this? i don't have a pre shot routine or anything

I think getting a good pre-shot routine established would be very helpful for you, not as helpful as the drills and priorities given to you by Mike and Erik but still very helpful. Pre-shot routines can calm your nerves, increase your focus and just generally slow things down out there.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I think getting a good pre-shot routine established would be very helpful for you, not as helpful as the drills and priorities given to you by Mike and Erik but still very helpful. Pre-shot routines can calm your nerves, increase your focus and just generally slow things down out there.

what are some examples of pre shot routines? i basically walk up to the ball, take a mini practice swing or 2 and then swing

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

what are some examples of pre shot routines? i basically walk up to the ball, take a mini practice swing or 2 and then swing

http://www.pga.com/golf-instruction/instruction-feature/fundamentals/solid-preshot-routine-must-good-golf

Do a search on this site for "pre-shot routines"

http://thesandtrap.com/t/67115/pre-shot-routines

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Just try not to go overboard with a routine.  The idea behind the routine is that it hones in your focus.  It's not necessary for it to be a long, drawn-out process for it to be effective.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Do you recall whether this was an anomaly or were your other scores in line with this?  I ask because I think your case would be different.

Brandon, I had a few terrible tournament scores in 2012. The 95 was the worst, but I think there were a couple of 90+ tournament scores that year (including one in a match play where I somehow managed to beat my opponent anyway!). SCGA doesn't allow me to check my score archives but I'd say I had 3-4 rounds of "net 80" or higher.

Just try not to go overboard with a routine.  The idea behind the routine is that it hones in your focus.  It's not necessary for it to be a long, drawn-out process for it to be effective.

Agree with @bplewis24 , it doesn't have to be elaborate or inordinately long. Just something that you repeat each and every time (very much a ritual) that signals your mind to "shut the **** up for 1.8 seconds and let you play golf", usually it incorporates a physical element like a waggle or forward press. It helps you commit to the shot too.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Kyle, your pre-shot routine is going to be specific to you and your style of play. The key is that you find a routine that you are comfortable with and do it every time (including before every shot on the driving range). The goal is to put your body into "muscle memory" mode. Many of us have a tendency to get out of our normal rhythm when we are nervous, which leads to poor focus and poor ball striking. This is exacerbated by the fact that there is often so much time in between each golf shot. The pre-shot routine lets you establish a rhythm on the course.

awesome thank you everyone. i'll do some thinking on what to do and stick to it. i usually do something different each time i hit now

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Kyle go out and play like you have been. Just pay close attention to what you are doing before you hit the ball. Specifically when you hit a good shot. You probably subconsciously have one your just not making sure you do the same thing every time. All your looking for is consistency.

awesome thank you everyone. i'll do some thinking on what to do and stick to it . i usually do something different each time i hit now

If there's been a breakthrough in this thread, it's this.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

ok well my next tournament is PGA West (Stadium and Nicklaus Course) i have heard they are hard courses so here will be my guesstimates. also i don't understand your sarcasm I'm your post. i guess i just see things different 9/14-8/14 FIR 7/18-6/18 GIR 33-31 Putts scores: 91-93

Kyle- I think you missed the point bplewis24 was making, you should try and set some easier goals, the goals you set here are way above anything you've done recently. And The Stadium course at PGA West is extremely difficult, I played there once about 20 years ago and had my butt handed to me. With what you have here you should be shooting in the low 80's.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

FWIW. I could never play worth a crap if I set out to shoot a certain score or achieve certain statistics.

The only goals that work for me:

Play the game. Practice off the course and play on the course.

Hit the best shot I can hit.

Hit the best shot I can hit again.

Don't worry about the shot I already hit.

Let the chips fall where they fall.

Enjoy it.

If I didn't play well it's not what I did on the course, but what I brought to the course.

FWIW. I could never play worth a crap if I set out to shoot a certain score or achieve certain statistics. The only goals that work for me: Play the game. Practice off the course and play on the course. Hit the best shot I can hit. Hit the best shot I can hit again. Don't worry about the shot I already hit. Let the chips fall where they fall. Enjoy it. If I didn't play well it's not what I did on the course, but what I brought to the course.

MS256- I'm with you I never set any goals for any round either. I just play to the best I can for that day. And some days you have it and other days you don't. Object is to have more days you have it then not.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!