IGNORED

Anyone Still Playing with the Titleist DCI 990 Irons?

My first new unused set of irons where actually this model. I learned how to play on the DCI model before these. I don't particularly have nostalgic memories of them. The longer irons where not very forgiving from what I remember and where difficult sometimes to get in the air out of the rough. But I used them up until around the time the 735 CM came out. The 735 cm is the model of iron I used in all three of the USGA am events ive qualified for, so those are kind of the nostalgic ones for me. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

• 3 months later...

UPDATE:

I've Posted here a few years ago.  I've tried other clubs but I still play and use as my main clubs the 990B's and it is 2021. Are these clubs really 20 years old? I play better with them than any other club I have tried.  Tried and true.  They are still in great shape. Handicap from 7 down to 0.9 since my last post.  I'm now working them both ways and they are great.  Love the bounce and smaller size.  Higher bounce iron sets this size are hard to find; I still haven't found any that compete.

• 3 months later...

I’ve been playing my 990’s since 1999…in fact, I played them today. The STILL feel SO PURE….when you flush them. I’m in the market for a new set of sticks though as I feel after 20+yrs I’d like to benefit from some add’l distance perhaps. 

I’m looking at Taylormade p770s or maybe the p7mc.

Also though, I love my 990s so much I’ve thought about maybe just having them de-lofted some to match current loft trends and thinking maybe I’d get some distance that way too.

When I flush my 990s It’s almost like you can’t even feel the ball come off the face. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LMQ said:

I’ve thought about maybe just having them de-lofted some to match current loft trends

There’s more to new club technology than just ‘stronger lofts.’ The technology allows higher launches and faster ball speed. The lofts are adjusted to compensate so that a 7i still behaves like a 7i in regards to holding greens, trajectory. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...

I’ve been playing 990’s for 20 years but thought I’d upgrade.

The Mizuno MP-20 MMC’s are making me interested. Really just want the same clubs but with a bit of modern tech to help my ageing bones and to keep up the distance and workability.

4-5 handicap. Any advice?

5 hours ago, Morning Chorus said:

I’ve been playing 990’s for 20 years but thought I’d upgrade.

The Mizuno MP-20 MMC’s are making me interested. Really just want the same clubs but with a bit of modern tech to help my ageing bones and to keep up the distance and workability.

4-5 handicap. Any advice?

Welcome to The Sand Trap! I play Titleist 716 CB irons and also have a set of Mizuno MP-59. The 716 CB is very similar to the DCI 990 but has a tungsten insert in the toe of the 4-7 irons to help MOI. These have been my favorite irons so far. Center hits feel like butter and the lofts are close to traditional, i.e. the PW is 46 degrees. The leading edge has a bit of relief which I feel helps turf interaction. I don’t lose much distance on off center hits either. The 718 CB is similar. You can find used sets on eBay if interested.

The MP-59 is a precursor of the MP-20 MMC. They are also very nice irons and feel sweet with center hits. The titanium insert on these increases the MOI as does the MP-20. You can’t really go wrong with the MP-20 either. Try hitting them and see. Mizuno also has a wide range of stock shafts. And shafts have improved immensely since the DCI 990.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2020 at 1:40 PM, Groucho Valentine said:

My first new unused set of irons where actually this model. I learned how to play on the DCI model before these. I don't particularly have nostalgic memories of them. The longer irons where not very forgiving from what I remember and where difficult sometimes to get in the air out of the rough. But I used them up until around the time the 735 CM came out. The 735 cm is the model of iron I used in all three of the USGA am events ive qualified for, so those are kind of the nostalgic ones for me. 

Telling a full story here because I am new but improved my game immensley with these irons. Please forgive the length of the post. First time posting to a golf forum and new to golf. Hoping another noob like me might find this helpful.

I just got into golf in July of 2021. I had only played maybe 4 times over the past 20-some years (I am 42). I have overall decent bg in sports. My neighbor took me golfing and gave me his old set of Knights as he had just bought a nice set of Callaways (I am not totally hip on all models, just know they were blades). Got hooked bad. Played every weekend and hit the range once a week in between religiously (even got a net for my backyard and a hitting mat) and pretty shortly decided I wanted a better set of clubs that would force me to be better instead of being able to develop bad habits with huge clubfaces on the Knights. I decided I wanted to spend up to $200 and get a nicer set of older pro irons because after poking around I decided that I was not good enough to justify a bling set. Searched on eBay, CList and FB marketplace for irons under $200. Researched the ones that were names I knew and long (ha) story short, ended up on these for $100 plus an old but very nice bag after reading the reviews here and a couple other places (and because Grandad and Dad play Titleists, just being honest). Regripped and polished, boom.

At the time I started with these, I was shooting an honest 125 consistently around end of September. Not great, but I had a bad slice on the drive for awhile. Fixed now. :)

Once I bought these irons, I realized what it actually takes to properly address and strike a ball. These irons are unforgiving on heel and toe strikes, but the sweet spot on shorter irons is gorgeous and easily found with practice. With the gold stiff shafts I have found even a little topping or too much chunk still produces decent yardage, but once you are out of that narrow range you are effed. I have only swung maybe 10 sets of clubs at Carls and with buddies but I still prefer the feel of a well struck shot with these irons over the newer Titleists, Mizunos, Callaways, and some crappier iron brands I have swung. You can easily feel a poorly struck shot and know exactly what went wrong; the feedback is precise. The accuracy you can get is pretty awesome. I don't know if it's my swing or what, but I get nice soft landings on well struck shots without too much roll (maybe 10% less than other irons I've hit but who knows, I am new), and carry distance is awesome. I can hit my 7 145-150 pretty consistently and it rolls maybe 20 feet. Idk if that's average, but the other clubs I have hit seemed to run more. YMMV. 

The long irons are completely unforgiving, especially out of the rough as another has said. If you have a long par 3, the 2 on a low tee is brilliant if you can hit it. I have pulled the 2 from my bag and gone with a Ts2 which I love. I sprained my intercostals with a crap shot in sloppy weather on a hill with the 2; it's a beastly iron. I might revisit when I'm a better golfer. When I can hit it, bejeesus. 200 seems effortless (off a tee).

I will admit that these were harder to hit in the sloppier weather in October, but this is also my first season playing sloppy weather. I eventually learned to strike somewhat better, but there was a definite difference when switching to my Knight 7 iron (which was way more forgiving out of muck).

All in all, for me these were a great improvement and helped me get my game to under 100 for the first time in mid-October and now in the winter on the sim I am shooting 100-105 consistenly (but who knows what that translates into).  If you can strike a ball properly, this club has the yardage with a soft approach to make some great shots. I am very happy I purchased these instead of an expensive set of new irons.

• 1 month later...

Have had my 990's since roughly 2000. (3-PW) Absolutely love them! Great feel and nicely workable as many have mentioned. Recently added the 2 iron I picked up online for a song, but it needed a new shaft as it was x-stiff and quite pitted. All other irons in my set have Dynamic Gold S300, but local shop recommended a lighter shaft in the 2 iron. Went with KBS FST 115g. Liked it fine but after minimal use the shaft snapped off just above the hosel while hitting a few at the range. Brought it back for warranty and after follow up they tell me they're having a hard time getting the proper shaft for it, saying "whoever put that KBS shaft in (which was them lol) had to shave it down to fit, because these clubs are really, really old". Can't be a coincidence and he agreed. Wondering if any of you have had any issues with new shafts being available for these clubs, and if you think the S300 would work just fine in the 2 iron? Assuming it would fit!? Any insights would be great. 🙂

On 1/19/2022 at 5:45 PM, SpyLooper said:

Have had my 990's since roughly 2000. (3-PW) Absolutely love them! .... Wondering if any of you have had any issues with new shafts being available for these clubs, and if you think the S300 would work just fine in the 2 iron? Assuming it would fit!? Any insights would be great. 🙂

DCI 990 owner for over 20 years as well, I replaced mine 2 years ago with a full set of T200's (PW-5i), along side 3 vokey wedges to round it out.  I was also still playing with the sandwedge from my original titleist tour model blades, but i think its day is done .........

The S300 shaft will work totally fine in your 2 iron, the original advise not to use it was strange, I had that exact shaft in mine with no issues. 

IMG_20200820_130129.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I know it’s an old thread, but still gaming my 990’s 4-PW with Titleist 910H/F and D3 rounding out the top of the bag. I’ve strayed here and there but the 990 will always be my go to iron set. 

I just bought a mint DCI 990 7 iron from Play it Again for 5 bucks. I use it to practice with on the Simulator. It goes the distance no problem. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus