IGNORED

Anyone Still Playing with the Titleist DCI 990 Irons?

Almost bought a set a couple of months ago, but I found some 735 CM's at a great price, so I bought them.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Almost bought a real nice set for $30 but passed on them because the design looks so demanding to hit.  Could these be least forgiving CBs ever made?  I dunno, maybe I should have grabbed them but I figured real blades would be more fun to use.

• Upvote 1

Almost bought a real nice set for $30 but passed on them because the design looks so demanding to hit.  Could these be least forgiving CBs ever made?  I dunno, maybe I should have grabbed them but I figured real blades would be more fun to use.

Where? I want them.

I play a set of clones and people who play 990's can't tell the difference until they get close, and they play the same.

I'll post pics.... I love'em.

No, but I still play the DCI 961s. Own multiple sets because I love them. I know technology has progressed and I have tried the latest from TM, T, M, etc.. but fine with what I have. I recently got paired with a scratch, probably plus handicap and he was playing the same set. Said to me exactly what I was thinking - yeah, they're ancient, I should upgrade, but they're working for me. The money I would spend on new irons all go to lessons.

The 990s would be an "upgrade" for me, ha ha.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 1 year later...
I still have them in my bag and will only use them for a long time to come. It is April 2015 and I've had them since 2000. Although I paid full price for them back then, what a deal. They last for at least 20 years in my opinion due to the cast construction. Something that will not happen with forged clubs. Although people buy forged clubs now-a-days the 990 DCI irons sweet spot is better than my friends forged. They have shorter shafts (about 1/4 inch) for more control, and pre 2003 & 2007 (change over to stronger lofts to trick people into buying new and improved irons that go farther) weaker lofts. But cast clubs have hotter harder faces so they go just as far. The mishits are brutal feeling (just like new 2015 blades), but at least I know I miss hit it as I can not say the same for game improvement clubs. The negative shot disperion with misshits isn't that noticable. I got some Lamkin grips that no longer make my hands hurt with misshits on cold days. At the price of $70 on ebay, why do people buy the CBs? They actually have the same design. the most clasic design ever!!! I absolutely love these irons,but be warned, if you wouldn't play with blades than these might be too advanced for you. I might paint fill them with blue or neon green to make them feel like new irons. The best purchase I have made in my entire life are these irons. I see people buying new irons every year, how stupid. Pick you up some of these and at the price it will be the best buy you have ever made.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I dreamed about a set of these irons back in the 90's when they first came out and I was playing in high school. Neither I nor my parents could afford them at the time. Recently (the past year) I've picked up golf again pretty regular and just scored a set from the local craigslist for a good price. In the process of re-gripping them now. Can't wait to play with them more. In the one round I played them before removing the grips, I hit more good, solid shots than I have in the past year with my old king cobra oversize clubs. Definitely not for beginners, but if you can make solid contact then they are fantastic.

• 11 months later...

It is start of 2016 and I've been playing them for 16 years.  Still love them.  I am thinking about changing the shafts since I am now drastically better.  I added paint fill to the back of them and regrooved them, as good as new.  I find that people who buy forged irons have to replace them every 3 to 5 years due to the softer metal wearing.  The 990's are cast and I'm thinking about buying a backup set.

I am a long hitter and love the shorter shafts and lower lofts compared to newer irons.  I also carry the 2 iron in 990.  I love that also. 

They are almost the exact same design as the Titleist forged from 2015.  That should tell you something.

Edited by PKII

Learned the ropes on these clubs, and I really enjoyed them. Great profile by the ball, and great feel.

Didn't know anything about golf when I bought them, and I came to dislike the shafts they came with so I went ahead, and upgraded.

Funny thing is, after going to GI clubs, I still have yet to break or tie my GIR record which was achieved using the 990s.

• 11 months later...

So I've played with 990's for 16 years and I finally decided to upgrade.

I bought 990B's in great shape on ebay.  The are even more blade like but have an incredible sweet spot. They feel more solid because of extra material behind the sweet spot.  The ball travels lower, which is the reason I got them.  I like the extra bounce on the 990Bs. I think that is why phil mickelson gamed them on tour. I dropped the same neon green paint-fill in them, and I'm not going to sharpen the grooves to keep the ball flying lower. People that play blades comment on how good they look. Paint-fill can make them pop, but a bad looking club head design will never get compliments from blade players.  After I hit them a few times, people ask to look at them. They feel like forged clubs but they are bulletproof.  Just like the 990's.

I never got different shafts like I wanted with the 990's, but my 990B's have the same S300's and the club head is so good, that I don't even want different shafts. If new shafts change the feel, I would be upset.

These clubs are still on ebay and they are worth it. I bought a bunch of forged 6 irons to try and couldn't pass on lower hitting/wuth higher bounce 990's, so I went with the 990B's. I have a bunch of forged mizuno and titleist blades, and I still think the 990 & 990B feel and play better with more forgiveness than blades.

I know a lot about the dci titleist 990 /B family. If you have any questions just post them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...

used to have a set of DCI Blacks (963?).  Wished I still did. I had them outfitted with Rifle Shafts when I worked for Acushnet.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 5 months later...

I used to play them in 2000-2003.  I made the mistake of trying the newer clubs from Taylormade, ping, callaway...  Well, i found a good used set recently, regripped them, and went out on the course.  The feel is addicting when you strike the sweetspot.  I can work the ball both ways now and am more accurate now.  Yes, on a bad day with a swing that has not warmed up yet will punish you.  But, once you take that pain reliever (for the older guys) and warm up, they will work well.  My lowest round was in 2002 with 990s.  After putting yhem in my bag, eighin 3 rounds, i am happy to say that im back to matching my low round.  No more wasting my time with “modern” irons.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
On 1/4/2014 at 4:22 PM, PathToThePGA said:

I still have them in my bag and was wondering if other SandTrap members did

Still have them but haven't played them in a long time. When my Srixon v745s were getting bent I took them for a round and shot+6, but my putter was off.  Still one of the best irons I've owned which is why I can't part with them! 

• iacas changed the title to Anyone Still Playing with the Titleist DCI 990 Irons?

I have been playing these irons since I was 11. They were given to me as a birthday present in 2001 and I have re gripped instead of trading them in year after year. They may be the best irons ever made. People always ask me about them. Golf trends have literally returned back to this design style. Instead of wasting money on newer, not as good irons, I can afford better courses year after year. Lol unfortunately I have to get a new driver every two years.

• 1 month later...

Bought a set of 990's when they first came out 30 years ago. I'm 66 now and bought a used set on eBay. Good feel when you hit the sweet spot. I also have the 962's which I probably hit better but I'm working on the "strike" so I'm sticking with the 990's for now. 11.18.2020

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to play the DCI 981 for over 20 years; really neat set of clubs.  I felt the need for more forgiveness so I moved to the Forged 804 os about 2 years ago.  Absolutely love the forged feel; and I can work the ball both ways.  Never tried the 990s but that may be in the offing soon.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip