IGNORED

My Swing (Big C)

Big C
Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks, Mike. That's a good screenshot to  capture what I need to work on. I can hit the position on the left (is it Zach Johnson?) when I'm working on my swing in the mirror, but when I get out to hit actual balls, I revert to old tendencies. I'll keep working at it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After one of my worst rounds of the year, I'm back to the practice range with the hopes of improving before the Newport Cup. Here are some videos I took during my range session today. My favorite are the last two which highlight a couple of my "bad" misses that happen occasionally on the course. The second to last is a low pull-hook 3 wood. The last is a flippy hybrid swing. The result of the hybrid was playable, but that is more a matter of good timing than a good swing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

@mvmac above but I feel you really need to work on keeping your head on the wall to help keep that overactive right leg from kicking in. Once you lose your tush line you have so much lag (which most of us could only dream about) you have to throw it all out at the ball.

Michael

Thanks Michael. My work over the last few months has largely focused on getting a proper hip turn during my takeaway. I've known the downswing needs a lot more work but I haven't made it a priority. Perhaps it's time to change that.

Thanks Michael. My work over the last few months has largely focused on getting a proper hip turn during my takeaway. I've known the downswing needs a lot more work but I haven't made it a priority. Perhaps it's time to change that.

You know me, and that I'm not an instructor, so I don't know where this would rank on your priority list, but ...

What I know about your misses referenced above (especially the snap hook fairway wood) is that they are similar to my worst misses.  One of the things that causes mine is a stalling of the hips, and that is caused by kicking out that right knee.  Notice how far up on your right toes you are going into impact?  Sooooo, I searched for "banked right foot" and found this post from @mvmac when he was asked "W hat are the benefits of banking the right foot in the downswing and keeping it on the ground through till or just past impact?" :

Helps with the turning rates on the downswing and into the followthrough. When the golfer lifts the heel (plantar flexion), it can prevent them from transferring forward "along the circle". Hips can stall and will have an effect on Keys 2-4. Also helps sequencing with the arms and the pivot on the downswing, again Key #3.

I think it might be worth trying to see if you can keep that heel down longer and see what that gives you.

Agree with what @Golfingdad and @mchepp said.

I'd like to see you keep that right heel down longer by "torquing" the ankles counter clockwise on the downswing.

Will film something later today but this video will also help.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Mike and Drew, thank you both for the advice. And an extra thanks to Mike for the video. I've been out of town for a few days and haven't touched a club but this will give some great things to work on this week at the range. I'll post another video with my progress in a few weeks.

I hit a small bucket today to slowly introduce the torquing feel into my swing. Overall the results were favorable. Once I got the hang of it, I was hitting solid shots with (mostly) controlled draws throughout the bag. The one exception was my driver, which generated a couple low snap hooks. I'll try to get some video later this week to make sure I am practicing and executing correctly.

I am sure @big c will not mind me butting into his thread to give kudos to @mvmac for the video as well ... I am sure I am not the only that reads "my swing" threads ... you will find great advice and drills on many of them. Thanks!!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Here is a quick video of me practicing the ankle torquing feel. Forgive the poor angle - my videographer cancelled on me today. It looks like my right knee wants to kick in still, but I'm doing my best to prevent it.

Here is a quick video of me practicing the ankle torquing feel. Forgive the poor angle - my videographer cancelled on me today. It looks like my right knee wants to kick in still, but I'm doing my best to prevent it.

Better!

Keep working on it, like the way the turning rates looked on the downswing/followthrough.

How were you hitting it?

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks Mike. I was hitting it pretty solidly for the most part. Mostly small to medium draws. Which is a bit unusual because my "comfortable" shot for the last year or so has been the fade. I'm playing a few times this weekend, so I'll be interested to see how the feel translates onto the course.

If I can get some better practice video up today, I will do so.

A couple notes from my range session yesterday. The downswing feel of torquing the ankles and opening the hips through impact really works well when I execute it properly. I got into a nice groove on the range today and was hitting the ball quite solidly. Even with a very abbreviated backswing, I was making good contact and wasn't noticing much (if any) loss of distance. Of course finding a groove on the range and translating the feel to the course are two completely separate things. I have our men's club match play tournament scheduled for this Saturday, so my work will be put into the fire very soon.

Almost all of my shots on the range were draws. And while contact was solid, I did have quite a few overdraws that turned hard to the left towards the end. I wasn't getting too terribly concerned, because they were all the "push draw" variety that started out right of my target before curving too far left. By contrast, my left miss on the course tends to be a pull hook. It does appear that I need to make a slight amendment (grip?  swing path?) to make the swing more playable, however.

I did hit about 30 balls with the driver and the results were very good. The one thing that I noticed was that there were a few drives that didn't "feel" right, but still produced adequate results. Some were hit a bit high on the club face, others a bit too much on the heel. But almost all of them would have stayed playable on most courses. This is unusal, because usually my bad feeling drives are huge misses. This tells me that my fundamentals are better when I execute this feeling, because I don't have to time everything perfectly in order to have a playable result.

I'm scheduled to get a couple videos taken later this week, so I'll post back here once those are available.

By contrast, my left miss on the course tends to be a pull hook. It does appear that I need to make a slight amendment (grip?  swing path?) to make the swing more playable, however.

I'd just make sure the face is aimed right enough, where you want it to start.

Mike McLoughlin

Here are a couple of range videos. The first is the way that I am practicing to ingrain the feels. My downswing thoughts revolve around keeping the right heel down, opening the hips and making sure the arms follow in front of (rather than fold across) my body. The second video is just a 3/4 swing 5 iron.

Really like the way things are coming along.

This looks great, just keep working on it.

Mike McLoughlin

I had a chance to put some of my work to the test last weekend in our men's club match play event. My only swing thought was to keep the right heel grounded and torque the ankles to left field on the downswing. The early results were stellar and I played some really good golf on the front 9. My first four drives of the day (holes 2, 4, 5 & 6) were long and in good position. Drives 2 & 5 in particular were at the peak of my abilities where there is no way I could have imagined hitting them better.

On hole 7, I lost the feeling off the tee and couldn't get it back. Literally my next 6 drives all missed the fairway left, a mixture of pull draws (not bad, playable) and snap hooks. Fortunately, my irons and my short game remained steady enough that I was able to keep my lead intact and close out the match on the 15th hole.

All I can do is speculate on why my driver deserted me. My best guess is that while I was so focused on torquing my ankles, I neglected to drive the hips open and forward (a key part of the banking drill posted above). So my heel might have been staying down, but my right hip was actually moving backwards on the downswing. I suspect this is the case because there were a couple of crappy drives where I ended feeling the weight on my back foot at the conclusion of the swing.

At any rate, it's a work in progress, but I'll continue to keep at it and will post video as my schedule permits.

Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!