IGNORED

Taylormade Project (a) Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just called Taylormade to see if there are any plans to make the project(a) ball in yellow and was informed, not only are they not making it in yellow, but when the stores sell what they currently have in stock that the ball will no longer be made. It appears in addition to the a Tour Preferred and Tour Preferred X they have added Mypreferred ball which retails for $45.99 vise the $31.99 for the project(a). Most likely the project(a) ball with different stamping and packaging. As a result I'm selling everything I have that is made by Adidas/Taylormade which is just about every golf shirt they have made in the last 3 yrs, five or so pair of shoes and all the clubs made by them. It seems Taylormade Golf has finally started producing new balls about as often as they do Drivers. New one every 3-4 months that is always bigger better and more expensive than the last one... Titleist may update their clubs and balls ONCE a year which is expected but not every 3-4 months like Taylormade has decided to do.... #1 Driver on Tour??? Possibly, but only because they pay these guys to play them... Maybe the pros will start buying their stuff.

This is the reason I haven't purchased anything from Taylormade in the last 5 years.  I used to play them through my bag from putter to driver.  But after they release a new model every 19 seconds I decided that I won't even look at them anymore.  And when I purchased my last driver a week ago I actually tested the SLDR and it was very impressive and it out performed the driver I purchased but I told myself I would never buy anything from them again so I put it back on the rack.  Your trade in retains no value with tailor-made.......

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they tell you that on the phone?  I'm really hoping that's false as it is my go to ball.  Stops extremely quickly on approaches for me and the price is definitely right.  Plus I got an Ace with one a few weeks back!

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

I have a sleeve in the bag as a my back up balls for the rounds I'm not doing smoothly on. I tried it my first round of the year on two holes and very impressed with them. Honestly feels a lot like your caliber balls

Wouldn't it be smarter for TM to stick to the same name and improve upon the ball without renaming it?  Most everyone refers to Titleist simply as ProV1 and everyone knows what that means.

Can anyone else confirm that these are being discontinued as @ray0557 stated? It's been a month since he called them and I just looked on TM's website and they are still listed as available. They are great balls for mid to high HCs, and my personal favorite. If they are indeed being discontinued, I need to stock up!

• Administrator
Can anyone else confirm that these are being discontinued as @ray0557 stated? It's been a month since he called them and I just looked on TM's website and they are still listed as available. They are great balls for mid to high HCs, and my personal favorite. If they are indeed being discontinued, I need to stock up!

We can ask our TM guys, but I'm calling it doubtful.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENtSwing32

Can anyone else confirm that these are being discontinued as @ray0557 stated? It's been a month since he called them and I just looked on TM's website and they are still listed as available. They are great balls for mid to high HCs, and my personal favorite. If they are indeed being discontinued, I need to stock up!

We can ask our TM guys, but I'm calling it doubtful.

Gotcha...thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I played the back 9 yesterday trying the Project (a) ball for the first time and thought it performed very well.  For reference, 85-90 SS, 18 HCP.  Looking at the Golf Digest Spin Chart I thought I might struggle with the driver but had no problem at all and the ball had plenty of distance, similar the the Gamer Tour (GT), Hex Chrome +, and NXT Tour for my SS, but not as long as the U/3..  For approach shots, the Project (a) held the greens well, simlar to the GT and better than the U/3 I have currently been playing.  Despite the GD spin chart, for my swing the Prov1x has a bit more stopping power on the green for me.  The Project (a) felt good off the putter, and although I did not hit any trees or cart paths, the ball showed little wear after the 9 holes.  Very similar to the GT with price being the most notable factor.

I believe the (a) stands for amateur, but looking at the stats and playing the ball once, I have to wonder what the big difference is between the (a) and Taylor Made's 2 Tour offerings?

After playing another round with the sleeve I had but losing a couple, I just bought 2 dozen for $23.99/dozen at Dicks.  It will likely have to share the bag with the U/3, but great quality and performance on the green for such a low price.

I got a box on a 25% off sale at PGATSS and played them Sunday. I enjoyed the ball and got it to dance once or twice( which I never do) my drives were pretty standard felt good off the club and liked the roll on the greens. Irons felt good as well. For $24 good really good.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• 2 months later...
I played a found ball for a round and it seemed to have good performance. No real complaints about it and performed similarly to a prov1. Given the rating on GD's website I might guess that they may relabel the ball and sell it in the $45 range. I rarely buy balls and find tons. Most the time I have no idea which balls are high end from other ball companies. When I find a prov, it doesn't matter what year it is, I know it is the company's best ball. If you are targeting people who want the best ball, gimmicks and name changes lose credibility IMHO.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I went to a Dick's today actually looking for this ball.  Didn't find it, but they had a rack of the original Penta's on sale for $25 and change, so I bought 2 dozen of them.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I went to a Dick's today actually looking for this ball.  Didn't find it, but they had a rack of the original Penta's on sale for $25 and change, so I bought 2 dozen of them.

They have Dick's in the Bahamas?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

They have Dick's in the Bahamas?

Look at my profile. :doh:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 1 year later...

I just called Taylormade to see if there are any plans to make the project(a) ball in yellow and was informed, not only are they not making it in yellow, but when the stores sell what they currently have in stock that the ball will no longer be made. It appears in addition to the a Tour Preferred and Tour Preferred X they have added Mypreferred ball which retails for $45.99 vise the $31.99 for the project(a). Most likely the project(a) ball with different stamping and packaging. As a result I'm selling everything I have that is made by Adidas/Taylormade which is just about every golf shirt they have made in the last 3 yrs, five or so pair of shoes and all the clubs made by them. It seems Taylormade Golf has finally started producing new balls about as often as they do Drivers. New one every 3-4 months that is always bigger better and more expensive than the last one... Titleist may update their clubs and balls ONCE a year which is expected but not every 3-4 months like Taylormade has decided to do.... #1 Driver on Tour??? Possibly, but only because they pay these guys to play them... Maybe the pros will start buying their stuff.

Not sure where you got the information but the Project A has been alive and well for going on two years.  Very interesting though that you mentioned  a ball called "Myprerred" golf ball.  I don't believe that one has been made but it is very interesting that Snell golf has introduced the Snell "MyTour" golf ball recently, which is highly likely a somewhat improved Project A type ball.   You must be prophetic.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

I found a great deal on new Project A "practice" balls. I asked the site and they said " They are "practice " because they did not pass the test to be sold as a course ready ball." Any insights on if these are good, or details on why they're marked "practice"? What exactly are the defects? I still think these would be better than what I currently play, which is top-shelf found balls. :)

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

I found a great deal on new Project A "practice" balls. I asked the site and they said " They are "practice " because they did not pass the test to be sold as a course ready ball." Any insights on if these are good, or details on why they're marked "practice"? What exactly are the defects? I still think these would be better than what I currently play, which is top-shelf found balls. :)

Usually something you wouldn't notice. A dimple may be slightly miscast or the logo is smudged. For all intents and purposes, it's the same ball you pay full price for, but it failed their high quality control standards.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!