IGNORED

2014 NCAA Football

saevel25
Note:Β This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

LOL I ate lunch with a group this week that actually said the OSU/BAMA game isnt over. There is of course a bunch of past Bama players in the group.

Till next year :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/72907/2014-ncaa-football/864#post_1092276"] LOL I ate lunch with a group this week that actually said the OSU/BAMA game isnt over. There is of course a bunch of past Bama players in the group.[/QUOTE] Till next yearΒ :whistle:

Yep. That loaf of bread will last a long time!

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

They said Alabama would beat Ohio State bad too... and we knocked out #1 Bama and sent them home.

Anyone can beat anyone..any day... Β We are the hottest team in college football team left considering we have the longest winning streak currently and we have a great chance, just like we did against #1...

thinking positive just like when we crushed Wisconsin 59-0 (who beat Auburn) and when we beat Alabama...it will be a good one!

Im very excited. Β We won the National Championship when I was in graduate school at OSU. Hope we get another one!

Go Bucks!

Man this place is nuts. Bama won 12 games and the defensive guru is on the hotseat. Radio callers literally not understanding why teams can't win out because they spent a bunch to go see a game. Very douchey. And I suspect a bunch of them have procreated.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Man this place is nuts. Bama won 12 games and the defensive guru is on the hotseat. Radio callers literally not understanding why teams can't win out because they spent a bunch to go see a game. Very douchey. And I suspect a bunch of them have procreated.

You should remind those d-bags that it was only 7 years ago when the Tide lost 6 games in a single season, including one to Louisiana-Monroe.

How quickly people become spoiled.

John

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/72907/2014-ncaa-football/882#post_1092600"] Man this place is nuts. Bama won 12 games and the defensive guru is on the hotseat. Radio callers literally not understanding why teams can't win out because they spent a bunch to go see a game. Very douchey. And I suspect a bunch of them have procreated.[/QUOTE] You should remind those d-bags that it was only 7 years ago when the Tide lost 6 games in a single season, including one to Louisiana-Monroe. How quickly people become spoiled.

The team did good this year with only 3 NFL draftees leaving. Usually they have more. I am amused by "serious" fans that dont realize 4 year college teams can't stay above average the whole time. They save back players with redshirts and suffer "rebuilding" years to concentrate talent. How hard is that? I guess they go for the pretzels when that discussion starts on the TV.

Tom R.

The team did good this year with only 3 NFL draftees leaving. Usually they have more.

I am amused by "serious" fans that dont realize 4 year college teams can't stay above average the whole time. They save back players with redshirts and suffer "rebuilding" years to concentrate talent. How hard is that? I guess they go for the pretzels when that discussion starts on the TV.

Not Urban, he hardly redshirts anyone. His theory is he's building an elite program that will garner NFL Scouts, so most players will only have 3 years. If you redshirt a guy then he's only playing 2 years. So he rather have some growing pains and bet on the talent he's recruited and have the guy at least contribute some in his first year.

In 2015 it might be Ohio State versus Alabama part 2. I am not sure any of the juniors will be going PRO next year for Ohio State.

They lose 4 seniors on the offense, one from the offensive line, and there really isn't any juniors who will jump to the NFL.

They lose 3 from their 2-deep on the D-line, with 2 starters. So that isn't too bad. They lose 2 more defensive players. Still, I don't see any juniors who will jump.

Offense will return 7 starters, with 4 out of the 5 starting offensive lineman

Defense will return 6 of the starters

A lot of the players who contributed are sophomores as well. I like our chances next year :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:

Looks like Oregon might be with out their 2nd best WR and their 4th best WR for the game on Monday. Looks like Carrington failed a drug test. Allen hurt his knee in the FSU game last weekend.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/72907/2014-ncaa-football/882#post_1092778"] The team did good this year with only 3 NFL draftees leaving. Usually they have more. I am amused by "serious" fans that dont realize 4 year college teams can't stay above average the whole time. They save back players with redshirts and suffer "rebuilding" years to concentrate talent. How hard is that? I guess they go for the pretzels when that discussion starts on the TV.[/QUOTE] Not Urban, he hardly redshirts anyone. His theory is he's building an elite program that will garner NFL Scouts, so most players will only have 3 years. If you redshirt a guy then he's only playing 2 years. So he rather have some growing pains and bet on the talent he's recruited and have the guy at least contribute some in his first year.Β  In 2015 it might be Ohio State versus Alabama part 2. I am not sure any of the juniors will be going PRO next year for Ohio State.Β  They lose 4 seniors on the offense, one from the offensive line, and there really isn't any juniors who will jump to the NFL.Β  They lose 3 from their 2-deep on the D-line, with 2 starters. So that isn't too bad. They lose 2 more defensive players. Still, I don't see any juniors who will jump.Β  Offense will return 7 starters, with 4 out of the 5 starting offensive lineman Defense will return 6 of the starters A lot of the players who contributed are sophomores as well. I like our chances next yearΒ :-D

Yeah I hear you. Just remember that the Tide always rises.

Tom R.

I want to reference the part about how the up-tempo offense keeps defenses vanilla. The reason being that they force you to stick with the personnel you have on the field and they go so fast you can't get the calls in. I would say that Ohio State runs a pretty unique defense. It is a 4-3 over defense, but it is a match up cover-4 concept. Yet they don't really call different coverage schemes. They might throw in a zero cover or they might go with a zone blitz (see INT return for TD in the Alabama game). Besides that they basically run a defense that says, we are going to run this one scheme where the players have their checkdowns and must read the play as it happens and react. Basically Ohio State is going out there and saying, we'll just play this match up zone concept and say we have better players than you and we will just match up and beat you.

Really I think Ohio State's style of defense fits well against the tempo offense, and the spread. Now they just have to execute and play better than Oregon, that is a totally different matter all together.

Is it Monday yet :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

I was entertained by the observation of 4 teams in the playoffs all running spread. I dont get that deep into the technical stuff or gambling but the only thing that I could think of that is vanilla (without a technically correct name for it) is the concept of a D where players maintain a zone and hand off to another D player in an effort to create a smaller zone and thus faster reaction speed via fewr steps. I find that level of detail horribly boring and try to stay away from it, but it would make sense to not move a defense player out of position too far with these productive offenses threatening to break an open field run or pass unexpectedly. Perhaps that is what is meant by boring. @saevel25 I dont envy the stress buildup at all. I think I will mosey over to the food thread and get the scoop on chinese char sui ribs for the game.

Tom R.

If I haven't missed my guess entirely, some team up north will probably be cycling up shortly.

You're not really going too far out on a limb with that one. Michigan will get good, and it'll happen rather quickly.

John

You're not really going too far out on a limb with that one. Michigan will get good, and it'll happen rather quickly.

With Harbaugh's track record, you are both probably right.Β Β  I read something on either Fox Sports or ESPN predicting they will be in the NC discussion in 3 years.Β Β Β  Given the level of mediocrity that Michigan has fallen to, that will be a tall order, especially since OSU and MSU don't look to be getting any weaker..Β Β Β  Considering how well the B1G did this year in the bowl games (regardless of how the NC game turns out) and adding the Harbaugh hire to the mix, it looks like the B1G is poised to finally be considered back on par with the other "power 5" conferences.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I was entertained by the observation of 4 teams in the playoffs all running spread. I dont get that deep into the technical stuff or gambling but the only thing that I could think of that is vanilla (without a technically correct name for it) is the concept of a D where players maintain a zone and hand off to another D player in an effort to create a smaller zone and thus faster reaction speed via fewr steps. I find that level of detail horribly boring and try to stay away from it, but it would make sense to not move a defense player out of position too far with these productive offenses threatening to break an open field run or pass unexpectedly. Perhaps that is what is meant by boring.

@saevel25 I dont envy the stress buildup at all. I think I will mosey over to the food thread and get the scoop on chinese char sui ribs for the game.

I think most all teams run a form spread. Few teams run a true power-I football these days. Really spread is just a term to describe stretching the field horizontal and vertical. In the end that concept has been around for a long time. If you think about it the stretch run play, quick screen passes. Now teams are just exploiting this advantage more often. I think people just like to term it something special.

I think Chip Kelly said once that everyone is copying everyone. There really is no new concepts in football, just window dressing to fool each other. Things have just gotten more complicated.

Look at Ohio State's 80 yard run against Alabama. The WR did a crack back block on the Alabama's linebacker taking him out of the play. You can go to youtube and look up Vince Lambardi videos on describing his running plays and how he used that same block to create a numerical advantage to where the running back was going. Most of the time it was a toss play of some kind. Ohio State just runs it more in a Jet Sweet type run.

I love this level of detail. I am a fan of the X's and O's. I like to know why things happen because it lets me be more objective about a team.

The build up is great, can't wait for the game!

With Harbaugh's track record, you are both probably right.Β Β  I read something on either Fox Sports or ESPN predicting they will be in the NC discussion in 3 years.Β Β Β  Given the level of mediocrity that Michigan has fallen to, that will be a tall order, especially since OSU and MSU don't look to be getting any weaker..Β Β Β  Considering how well the B1G did this year in the bowl games (regardless of how the NC game turns out) and adding the Harbaugh hire to the mix, it looks like the B1G is poised to finally be considered back on par with the other "power 5" conferences.

With the way Michigan has recruited, if they can get some recruits this year then they will probably advance a year in schedule. I think they are really 3 years away from being NC level again. I think they will probably win more games just based on leadership. Based on learning a scheme and changing the culture I give 3-4 years to become the powerhouse again.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

LoL those remind me of big time prayer beads!

Tom R.

@saevel25 check out the necklace my co worker is wearing today:

And he went to UC Irvine! (But married a Buckeye)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

Note:Β This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!