IGNORED

2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

jamo
Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This could be the first world cup where the language spoken is German in South America. Oh well, beer them on :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They should save some goals for the final...

They have enough oil produced to keep them running in the final. Don't worry

I've never seen a group of athletes look so shell-shocked. More than a few of them will need psychological counseling later.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I've never seen a group of athletes look so shell-shocked. More than a few of them will need psychological counseling later.

some will never drink beer again. Some will never play football again. Some will crie like babies the next time they see field of grass.

Interesting that the announcers were saying the German team was more sportsman-like for playing hard to the end. Every time a team runs up the score in American sports, they get derided.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Interesting that the announcers were saying the German team was more sportsman-like for playing hard to the end. Every time a team runs up the score in American sports, they get derided.

I guess in American football it's a bit different since it's bad form to call pass plays, especially deep ones when you can just run the ball to kill the clock. It's kind of disrespectful in soccer to just not even try to score.

Constantine

I guess in American football it's a bit different since it's bad form to call pass plays, especially deep ones when you can just run the ball to kill the clock. It's kind of disrespectful in soccer to just not even try to score.

Not playing to the fullest of your abilities would be lame

Slacking off can also increase the likelihood of injury

I said to someone after 10 mins "I reckon the Germans could stick 3 or 4 on them" - i was wrong

In a way I'm pleased. This wasn't a great Brazilina team, Scolari teams never are, and they got what they deserved against a technically better German team. The warning sign was there against Croatia, when the referee rescued them (the only time they've played European opposition). Another form frank for the USA anyway!!!

For context, tonight is the most humilitating in the history of not just Brazilian football, but arguably the country

The only thing that could make this worse now would be to get similarly humped by Argentina in the next match, or for the Brazilians to have spent all this money on hosting it, only for their most hated rivals across the border to be crowned Champions

Yea, and you can't sub guys out in soccer because each side only gets 3 apiece. In basketball, it's bad form to leave your all-stars in the game and constantly dunking on you if they're up 20 points with only 2-3 minutes left. In soccer you can't empty your bench. You have to play it out for the most part.

Constantine

For rivalries and needle, clearly a German / Dutch final is what the neutrals want now, (hopefully the BBC will break the budget to get Rudi Voller and Frank Rijkeard as pundits) but lets not forget what that would mean for the usually tame and low key 3rd and 4th match play-off!!!

Argentina and Brazil = ouch

Now that would be x-rated. I'm reminded of their meeting from 1978 when the ref blew the whistle and quite frankly they could have played without the ball given that both teams proceeded to kick lumps out of each other for 90 mins (the Argies being the bigger transgressors, but benefiting from some home town refereeing)

I still think looking back though this world cup will be remembered as the one that saw the US set the foundations (time will tell) but try and pick a composite team drawn from Germany, France, England, Italy, Holland, Belgium and Portugal. That's what the US could be fielding within a generation

Actually sub Spain for England (and you'd still have 20m to spare on the US pool)

Brazil was a bit of a tinderbox in the run up this world cup. Just rolling that forward then. What is the national mood going to be if they wake up next Monday to discover they've spent all this money for the last 6 years on stadia and FIFA hotels, only to pay for Argentina's coronation as world champions. Think of all that money they could have spent on transport, schools and poverty relief, instead it's been spent on buying Argentina a stage. Urm.... they're going to be livid. I don't think it's too big an exaggeration to suggest that particular scenario would probably cause the downfall of the government be it by the ballot box, or something perhaps a little bit more in the South American tradition

As an aside, I've been genuinely shocked to see the level of in situ support for Germany on UK message boards, just reviewing a few of them. I actually thought I'd be in the minority as normally we'd probably support Brazil against Germany, but it hasn't been the case this time. Brazil have lost a lot of friends the way they've set up to play, and whatever we say about Germany one think they've rarely been is dirty and cynical. There was a sense that Brazil had this coming to them.

Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!