IGNORED

Help With This Tee

Royster1984
Note: This thread is 3640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking for a little advice, I made a similar post at the back end of last year with another hole I was struggling with and worked well improving my score on that hole, so thought I would seek some advice with this tee, see if i can get some help with it.

The Tee, its 170yds to the corner labeled in the picture. From that corner there its 160 to the green. The shot into the green is fairly similar to this with bushes either side of the fairway but fairway is a little wider.

Off the yellow tees I normally hit a 4i but this is like 50 yards further back and at a worse angle. With regards to length I normally hit my 5i around 170 so I could potentially lay up with that but then I would have another tricky shot into the green.

Some people use driver and fade it around the corner, I am a little inconsistant with my driver and 3w and can often hit a fade one shot and a draw the next so makes this hole with driver a nightmare.

View from green to the corner

Many Thanks

Probably a 7i followed by 8i. The first shot is pretty tight so I'd want something that even if mishit usually doesn't end up real far off line. Would also want to be sure it got up fairly quick to avoid the trees and scrub. I could see thinning one with a longer iron and my guess tough to find in that stuff. Not that you would want to, looks impossible to play out of. But it's an open approach. Even if I didn't make great contact with the 7i it's probably still not more than 150-160 in. Thankfully I'll never know. We don't have many courses like that in CO. Even the mountain courses are pretty wide.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably a 7i followed by 8i. The first shot is pretty tight so I'd want something that even if mishit usually doesn't end up real far off line. Would also want to be sure it got up fairly quick to avoid the trees and scrub. I could see thinning one with a longer iron and my guess tough to find in that stuff. Not that you would want to, looks impossible to play out of. But it's an open approach. Even if I didn't make great contact with the 7i it's probably still not more than 150-160 in. Thankfully I'll never know. We don't have many courses like that in CO. Even the mountain courses are pretty wide.

Yeah if ball goes in the bushes at the front its pretty much game over most people wont even look if it goes right in as it would be almost impossible to find. You can get lucky and find it in the bush 170 yrds to corner but is a hard chip out sometimes.

For to play it your way, I would have to hit 5i then 6i. which I guess aint too bad looking back at recent form. Last 5 times on this hole had Par, DBogey x3 and a bogey. So i guess even if i hit the 6i badly should only have a short chip left.

I can't tell how high those tree are on the right, but I would use a 3H or 4W and cut the corner if I could make it over the trees.  I would aim so that if I drew the ball, I would still not make the tree line on the other side of the fairway.  A fade would still be on the fairway. The relative width of the fairway past 150 or 160 yards is wider.

This would leave me less than 150 to the green.  My buddy would use driver and really cut the corner.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
Some people use driver and fade it around the corner, I am a little inconsistant with my driver and 3w and can often hit a fade one shot and a draw the next so makes this hole with driver a nightmare.

Learn to hit a big fade with your 3W or hybrid. Even if it's not your typical ball flight, learn to force it, even if it's got a BIG curve, because you've gotta play this hole every time.

In other words, learn to hit such a big fade there's no way the ball can draw.

Leaving yourself 160 is a dumb way to play the hole, especially if you occasionally screw up your 170-yard tee shot and leave more than 160.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Learn to hit a big fade with your 3W or hybrid. Even if it's not your typical ball flight, learn to force it, even if it's got a BIG curve, because you've gotta play this hole every time.

In other words, learn to hit such a big fade there's no way the ball can draw.

Leaving yourself 160 is a dumb way to play the hole, especially if you occasionally screw up your 170-yard tee shot and leave more than 160.

Yeah......a big cut with a driver is going to leave even a short hitter with some kind of wedge in his hands.

I'd even poke a 200 yard hybrid over the corner and likely be inside 100 yards.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It kinda looks like you can take off some of the corner if you tee it up left and aim slightly over the left edge off the right tree line. I would maybe take a 3 wood with a small draw over that. If you push it a bit you might end up in the right rough. If you draw it a bit you should be on the far side of the fairway maybe left rough. you just got to figure out your starting line.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The OP has a 21 index so it is not far from mine.

If I needed to make a par I would follow the advice of trying to hit a big fade with a 3 wood or hybrid.

But if the OP is like me there is always the risk of a double cross and the ball will end up long and left in the bushes and the result would be a double at best.

If I needed to protect against a big score on the hole, I would hit a seven iron (or which ever club is consistent) to 150.

Hit another seven iron across the corner and hopefully into the middle of the fairway and leaving approx. 30 to 40 yards to the green.

If the second shot misses to the left of the fairway, there is the slope to either bring the shot back into the middle or at least stop from going into the bushes.

The OP has a 21 index so it is not far from mine.

If I needed to make a par I would follow the advice of trying to hit a big fade with a 3 wood or hybrid.

But if the OP is like me there is always the risk of a double cross and the ball will end up long and left in the bushes and the result would be a double at best.

If I needed to protect against a big score on the hole, I would hit a seven iron (or which ever club is consistent) to 150.

Hit another seven iron across the corner and hopefully into the middle of the fairway and leaving approx. 30 to 40 yards to the green.

If the second shot misses to the left of the fairway, there is the slope to either bring the shot back into the middle or at least stop from going into the bushes.

I used to think this way.  But the reward is much more than the risk on this hole with either a straight 3H/3W or fade.  To be conservative and play for a bogey will not improve my score.

Scott

My Swing Thread

You can cut that corner if you are confident enough that you will get it airbourne. My shot shape is a draw with my bad shots being with low flight hooks. I tend to hit the driver not so bad, but my 3w/3h I struggle a little with and often hook them when I am under pressure.

How hard is it learning to hit a fade on demand when your normal shot draws??

You can cut that corner if you are confident enough that you will get it airbourne. My shot shape is a draw with my bad shots being with low flight hooks. I tend to hit the driver not so bad, but my 3w/3h I struggle a little with and often hook them when I am under pressure.

My normal shot is a draw and my miss shot is usually a low snap hook.

If I really try to hit a fade/slice I am successful probably 40% of the time at the most. 40% of the time I will hit it straight. 20% of the time I will hit a double cross.

On my course hole number 16 is a dog leg left (I am left handed) and there are woods straight ahead at approx. 220 yds and three big trees right at the dog leg at approx. 150 yds out.

I also have a much harder time hitting a fade/slice with my 3 wood and hybrids vs. my driver.

I used to try and hit a fade around the corner but lately I have decided that aiming down the middle is a safer shot.

The teaching pros on this site probably have some insight on my problems.

It just takes a bit of practice and confidence.  Check out this thread.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I think it depends on what you're trying to do. If you want to take the big score (i.e., double bogey or higher) out of play, I'd play the hole as a 3 shotter. That would probably leave you a relatively easy wedge or pitch shot into the green on your 3rd shot, and I'm guessing you'd make a lot of bogeys and more pars than doubles. If you're trying to par it, you've got to either learn to hit a cut with the driver, or learn ot hit a hybrid over the corner. I'd personally avoid the 3 wood or a long iron on this hole - it's easier to hit a driver or hybrid in my opinion.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

One way a "hooker" can hit a slice with his driver is to tee the ball very low aim left and hang on to the club a little tighter. This isn't the "technical" way to hit the shot but hitting a driver off the deck or teed really low is not easy to hook. Learn this shot and it could be your "stinger" fade. maybe hit it out there 220 or so. Since it is hit low maybe there would be a little less chance of missing it big right.

I've known a lot of really good players who use this shot (driver off the deck) to get out of the trees and hit a low screamer that curves right.

Taylormade SLDR 10.5

Ping Anser 4-PW

Ping Anser 52,54,60

Ping G25 3 Wood 15

Ping I20 4 Hybrid

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7

played it today and tried driver with cutting corner. although it was off yellows it went well managed a birdie :D

Nice!  This will give you confidence to be more aggressive @Royster1984 !

Scott

My Swing Thread

Nice!  This will give you confidence to be more aggressive @Royster1984 !

I tried playing with a slightly higher tee last round, driving was alot better so hopefully this will stick.

Note: This thread is 3640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!