IGNORED

Bubba Watson....Fan or not a fan?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 members have voted

1. 1. Bubba - fan or not ??

• Yes
    • No

Yep those are the similar beliefs to a number of world views. The quote still has nothing to do with the slur of being a bible thumper. He is talking about the work done through the foundation that golf allows him to have and encouraging others.

Yeah, it wasn't me that called him a bible thumper. While I generally don't like mixing religion with.... well, anything, I don't think he quite fits the "bible thumper" category.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No matter how much time I spend on the internet I am always taken aback by statements of religious hatred. I guess it's because of the places where I have lived.

Even the most non-religious people I have ever known would consider being religious a positive attribute that is respected. They just choose otherwise.

The most hard core coal miners I ever worked with that cursed like sailors, broke as many of The Ten Commandments as they could on a daily basis, and had never been in a church in their lives asked somebody to start union meetings and dinners with a prayer and highly respected the person they chose to say it.

There are so many things in your post that are simply inaccurate which I wont respond to. The question was thumbs up or down.  If I believed that any god cared about golf then I would probably care when someone thanks god for helping them win, or feel that a god wants them to use a game like golf to proselytize to others. I'm always surprised that when others think that I should respect or believe in what they believe in, that I should also tolerate listening to their opinions on the matter. That's a license for arrogance that Bubba displays. The arrogance that because he believes in something strongly I should be interested in it. I certainly am not interested in telling people like him what to say but I can certainly give him a thumbs down on an opinion poll.

There's a difference between being righteous and buying insurance. Bubba is just buying insurance. IMO So .. thumbs down for me. I only count for one vote so I wouldn't get that invested in what I think.

There are so many things in your post that are simply inaccurate which I wont respond to. The question was thumbs up or down.  If I believed that any god cared about golf then I would probably care when someone thanks god for helping them win, or feel that a god wants them to use a game like golf to proselytize to others. I'm always surprised that when others think that I should respect or believe in what they believe in, that I should also tolerate listening to their opinions on the matter. That's a license for arrogance that Bubba displays. The arrogance that because he believes in something strongly I should be interested in it. I certainly am not interested in telling people like him what to say but I can certainly give him a thumbs down on an opinion poll.

There's a difference between being righteous and buying insurance. Bubba is just buying insurance. IMO So .. thumbs down for me. I only count for one vote so I wouldn't get that invested in what I think.

SMH. Since I only talked about my personal experiences with the people I know personally there is no way for you to have any idea if it is accurate or not.

Maybe you should be as vocally negative about every golfer that has an endorsement deal then.  Or are you just prejudice against endorsing a religious insurance policy?

• Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

SMH. Since I only talked about my personal experiences with the people I know personally there is no way for you to have any idea if it is accurate or not.

It's just a no vote in a poll. This isn't a religious discussion. Take it easy.

LOL.  That is exactly what I thought when reading his post.  Apparently he knows every coal miner in the world and none of them wanted to have union meetings or eat dinner?

I just don't get the hatred towards celebrities who are religious.  I'm not religious either, and do you know what I do when one of them starts talking about Jesus?  Nothing!  Who cares?!?!?!  This isn't Poltergeist where there is a serious chance that you'll get sucked into the TV.  They're not "forcing" anything onto you anymore than they are "forcing" me to take lessons from Butch Harmon Academy because they thanked him after winning.

The other thing that keeps just about anything an athlete says from bothering me is that I don't listen to anything an athlete says.  I barely have enough time to watch the Masters on my DVR while fast forwarding through the commercials and the walking.  I sure as hell don't have enough time to sit around and watch the stupid and corny jacket ceremony or speech.

Maybe you should be as vocally negative about every golfer that has an endorsement deal then.  Or are you just prejudice against endorsing a religious insurance policy?

Funny. . Let me get this straight. So according to you, you equate believing and espousing your own personal brand of religion because you might be afraid of the hereafter, or karma , or whatever, as the same thing as getting an endorsement deal from a company? I am not sure I can make sense of that.

I think what you mean to say, and this would be correct is that I am not interested in hearing the opinion of someone, who is likely not the sharpest tool in the shed, on matters of religion , or politics, or really anything else but what he thinks about the course or his golf swing.

What if he started saying instead that he owes it all to Allah, and that he wishes he could follow shariah law, and that on Ramadan he asked to be able to spit on the golf course because of his religious daily fast? Would you defend his freedom of speech as heartily, or would you prefer he keep religion out of the sport of golf?

LOL.  That is exactly what I thought when reading his post.  Apparently he knows every coal miner in the world and none of them wanted to have union meetings or eat dinner?

I just don't get the hatred towards celebrities who are religious.  I'm not religious either, and do you know what I do when one of them starts talking about Jesus?  Nothing!  Who cares?!?!?!  This isn't Poltergeist where there is a serious chance that you'll get sucked into the TV.  They're not "forcing" anything onto you anymore than they are "forcing" me to take lessons from Butch Harmon Academy because they thanked him after winning.

The other thing that keeps just about anything an athlete says from bothering me is that I don't listen to anything an athlete says.  I barely have enough time to watch the Masters on my DVR while fast forwarding through the commercials and the walking.  I sure as hell don't have enough time to sit around and watch the stupid and corny jacket ceremony or speech.

Yeah it wouldn't bother me in the least if an athlete thanked Allah, or Buddha, or The Force, or anything else. Makes absolutely no difference to me.

I don't think anyone is saying that God cares about golf. I think the general feeling is that what matters is that we try our hardest so that we do not squander what gifts we were given. This includes the work we put into it before the match.

Whatever your beliefs, it is a shame to lose any natural talent you were given through laziness and or apathy.

I tend to think that Bubba has not squandered his gifts.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't think anyone is saying that God cares about golf. I think the general feeling is that what matters is that we try our hardest so that we do not squander what gifts we were given. This includes the work we put into it before the match.

Whatever your beliefs, it is a shame to lose any natural talent you were given through laziness and or apathy.

I tend to think that Bubba has not squandered his gifts.

Funny thing is that my comment didn't espouse any religion at all. It was only about respect for somebody else's beliefs and my surprise at the hostility toward somebody else's beliefs.

And I remain surprised.

Funny. . Let me get this straight. So according to you, you equate believing and espousing your own personal brand of religion because you might be afraid of the hereafter, or karma , or whatever, as the same thing as getting an endorsement deal from a company? I am not sure I can make sense of that.

No I am saying what is the big deal if someone promotes their beliefs or if they promote a product.  At least someone who promotes their beliefs is not being paid to do so. At least one promotion carries more integrity and pure intent.  You called religion a product as in an insurance policy.  I was playing along and making the comparison.

I think what you mean to say, and this would be correct is that I am not interested in hearing the opinion of someone, who is likely not the sharpest tool in the shed, on matters of religion , or politics, or really anything else but what he thinks about the course or his golf swing.

Well I hate to tell you but this "dull tool" void of cognitive capacity has studied world views and has a degree in it.

What if he started saying instead that he owes it all to Allah, and that he wishes he could follow shariah law, and that on Ramadan he asked to be able to spit on the golf course because of his religious daily fast? Would you defend his freedom of speech as heartily, or would you prefer he keep religion out of the sport of golf?

I have no problem with that.  These comments by are completely ignorant as are the implications of me in the quote above.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

LOL. and I was thinking he only knew the hard core coal miners but there are a whole group of soft core coal miners he is leaving out!

I just don't get how people don't understand that exaggerating the meaning of the word hatred in order to give their comment more weight does the opposite.

I also don't get why people make things up, like there is an issue of hatred towards celebrities, in order to make a point that is unrelated. I was looking around for where hatred towards celebrity was espoused but I couldn't find it. It must be on another thread.

No I am saying what is the big deal if someone promotes their beliefs or if they promote a product.  At least someone who promotes their beliefs is not being paid to do so. At least one promotion carries more integrity and pure intent.  You called religion a product as in an insurance policy.  I was playing along and making the comparison.

Well I hate to tell you but this "dull tool" void of cognitive capacity has studied world views and has a degree in it.

I have no problem with that.  These comments by are completely ignorant as are the implications of me in the quote above.

Haha. You mean in his consumer economics major? Isn't that like home ec for men?

"Haack steered Watson to Faulk­ner State Community College when his Milton High School grades weren’t good enough to go directly to Georgia."

I think you're forgetting the point of this thread. I am not a fan of Bubba. I think that is the question. I know several people who know him, have done business with him, sat with him to eat, and they all tell me that he is a fake. They liken him to the other lefty(Phil) with majors except that Bubba isn't as smart and doesn't yet know how to play the game of marketing as well.

The bottom line isn't whether he believes or not it's that I put a no vote on the poll. I think you're just going to have to be satisfied with that.

Haha. You mean in his consumer economics major? Isn't that like home ec for men?

"Haack steered Watson to Faulk­ner State Community College when his Milton High School grades weren’t good enough to go directly to Georgia."

My reply was not about Bubba.  I have no problem with your vote, just your religious slur.

Biblethumper. Not a fan.

Hell of an entrance though!

Nate

I know several people who know him, have done business with him, sat with him to eat, and there isn't one who hasn't told me that he is a fake.

And had you simply said this, nobody would have batted an eye.  But you didn't.

There is nothing wrong with someone saying that they dislike Bubba because of his religious beliefs and the way that he may choose to promote them.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we have no right to tell someone they are wrong for not wanting to hear about religion.  If someone does something that gets on your nerves or makes you dislike their actions, then that's how you feel about it.  In a poll where we ask "are you a fan"...  We can't say that someone is wrong for saying "No I'm not a fan because..." he does ( insert action    ) and I find it offensive, or aggravating, or fake etc.

It's like when my English professor asked for my interpretation of a writing and told me I was incorrect in MY INTERPRETATION...       B&%$#^, you asked for my opinion on what I thought the author meant you can't tell me I'm wrong in my opinion- ...    now I may format my paper wrong, but I'm not losing points because you don't agree with my opinion  (lol... Yea I still don't like her)

Either way, religion and politics are two subjects that can get people emotionally invested in the conversation...  Let's respect each others opinions and understand that we may not agree on the same interpretations of those subjects lol...

• Upvote 1

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 2926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!