IGNORED

My Swing (14ledo81)

14ledo81
Note: This thread is 1093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just thought I'd say i really enjoyed watching your vlog from last week! You played very well and i was extra fun to watch because you've got a very similar game to mine, in that our distances match up almost exactly.  :beer:

Thanks. I was fortunate to play well. It is also a short course. One of these days I will vlog at my regular course.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well I watched the video that @mvmac posted on this thread again.  I picked up something different from it this time.  The part about where he said the right elbow kind of moved in? toward the side a bit to start the backswing really clicked.  I practiced it for a bit and the took some partial and full swings.  This video below is a full swing after practicing this move.  Key #3 looks improved to me.  Still looks like some more work to do on it, but at least it is moving in the right direction.

Not sure where to go from here?  Maybe need a downswing "swing thought"?  To help improve the "lag" a bit more?

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I remember also working on this piece and correct me if in wrong @mvmac buy it seems like the left knew on Matts swing is not really coming down and in properly, just looks almost artificial and that is sort of preventing his hips from turning correctly with the right sequence along with the shoulders.. So you think that if Matt ensures that he brings his left knee down and in along with turning the hips this might make this piece easier?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I remember also working on this piece and correct me if in wrong @mvmac buy it seems like the left knew on Matts swing is not really coming down and in properly, just looks almost artificial and that is sort of preventing his hips from turning correctly with the right sequence along with the shoulders..

So you think that if Matt ensures that he brings his left knee down and in along with turning the hips this might make this piece easier?

Yes that could be another feel, left knee working slightly in as it gradually gains flex rather than out over his left foot.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks @mvmac .  It is tough to watch videos at work (to noisy), but I will check this out in-depth tonight.

-Matt-

@mvmac got a chance to watch. Will start working on this. Would a mirror work good for this one? Thanks again.

-Matt-

A little more on the centered pivot stuff:

I had always thought this was not an issue with me.  I would look at my head, and it did not seem to translate back.  Now that @mvmac has shown me that I actually was translating back some on the backswing (hips), I can see it clearly.  Again, trained eyes...

On the plus side, I was working on this some last night.  Mikes feel about moving the right hip pocket behind and up really clicked.  It appeared I was able to make some progress (change the picture) quickly.  Just gotta keep working on it until it comes without thinking.

-Matt-

I played 45 holes Saturday night.  First round was a 88, second was an 87.  The second nine of the second round was my best 9 ever though.  40 with 5 greens.  Double-bogeyed the 10th hole, but of the next six, I hit 5 greens, and got up and down on the one I missed.  Probably the best stretch of golf I have ever played.  Promptly bogeyed 17 and 18 though to remind myself I am still a high handicapper.

I played the back nine over again for the last nine.  Shot a 41 this time.  Hit 5 greens again.  Actually needed a par on the last hole (pretty straight forward par 5) to break 40.  Wound up double-bogeying it. :mad:

Ball striking is still streaky, but the good shots are getting better, and so are the bad.  Just need to get more consistency over a full 18 holes.

Did hit one of the best drives I have ever hit though:

Some of you may remember me posting this hole as a "how would you play it".  Anyway most though the best bet was to carry the fairway bunker with a driver.  I was hitting the ball pretty good this day.  Also had a bit of tailwind on this hole.  I carried the bunker all three times I played it!!  The pic above is where the longest one ended up.  It takes about a 220 carry to get it over the bunker from the whites, but it is also downhill from there to a point just in front of the green.

-Matt-

Time for an update on the swing.  Still working on the last item Mike gave me.  Trying to maintain a centered pivot with the hips.

It appears the hip action is better to me, and I see even more improvement with "lag".  Pretty excited about how the picture is looking.

Contact is still "iffy", but I assume that will get better with reps.

Overall, I am hitting the shorter clubs quite a bit better than last year.  More consistent, and with more distance.  Distances (last year vs. this) as follows:

Last year             This year

50 degree -     90                      105-110

PW         -      110                    125

9             -      125                    135

I am still pretty inconsistent with anything longer than a 8 iron, but the improvement with the shorter clubs leads me to believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

-Matt-

That looks great! Keep it up! Oh, and you can't complain about being a short hitter anymore :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

That looks great! Keep it up!

Oh, and you can't complain about being a short hitter anymore

:-P Still can, with the driver and longer clubs anyway.

-Matt-

Time for an update.  Really just a question for @mvmac , or anybody else who wants to input.  I am still working on the centered hip pivot, and trying to make sure I don't backslide on the other items at the same time.

I got an idea from the video you posted in the "hips" thread.  It appears Funk started his swing with his hips, but the hands caught up quickly.  In my swing, it appears I start with the hips, but my hands never seem to get "there".  I don't imagine it would be a good thought to try to slow the hips.  Not sure if "speeding up the hands" is a good swing thought though.

-Matt-

Time for an update.  Really just a question for @mvmac, or anybody else who wants to input.  I am still working on the centered hip pivot, and trying to make sure I don't backslide on the other items at the same time.

I got an idea from the video you posted in the "hips" thread.  It appears Funk started his swing with his hips, but the hands caught up quickly.  In my swing, it appears I start with the hips, but my hands never seem to get "there".  I don't imagine it would be a good thought to try to slow the hips.  Not sure if "speeding up the hands" is a good swing thought though.

Hmmm. I'm not sure you want your hands to catch your hips. I might be misunderstanding, but I like to feel that my hips a cleared before my hands get "there" which is followed by the clubhead. I guess that depends on where "there" is. Anyone?

- Shane

Hmmm. I'm not sure you want your hands to catch your hips. I might be misunderstanding, but I like to feel that my hips a cleared before my hands get "there" which is followed by the clubhead. I guess that depends on where "there" is. Anyone?

My thought too.  When you watch pros in FO view in slow motion, it always looks like their hips get forward, then pause while they hands get down, and then the hands pause while the lag uncoils and they whip the club through to impact.  Obviously pause is relative, not fully stopping, and it's definitely possible to be out of sequence with the hands too far behind.  I just don't see a ton of that in the last video.  Looks pretty great to my non-expert eye in fact.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Can I just say have read most of the 160+ comments on this post and the difference between the first videos and the last video is amazing. Its great that so many people are getting involved to help out. Have picked up a lot of hints and tips to help me with my game so thank you for creating this thread and good luck in your game (think you have nailed the swing etc.!!!)

Note: This thread is 1093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!