IGNORED

My Swing (14ledo81)

14ledo81
Note: This thread is 1065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I finally had a chance to post some update information.  I played Friday evening, but have been really busy since.

Anyway, the ball striking is definitely improving.  I played lights out (for me) on Friday.  Was able to get 36 holes in.  First round I shot an 81 with 34 putts.  I hit a personal best 9 greens and 10 fairways.  The shots where I missed the fairway were not by much, and still left me with a chance at the green.  Tee shots were going right where I wanted them (still not very long), and my iron game was on.  Again, keep in mind I was playing from the 6000 yard white tees that are rated 69.0/122.  Second round was a little bit worse, but still very good for me.  82 with 33 putts, 7 greens, 9 fairways.  As such, I took an average of the rounds played this year, and adjusted my "estimated" handicap.

I probably should try playing from a longer set of tees to see if my game still holds up.  I have a suspicion it will not due to the fact my drives were still hit short.  Long drives of the day were around 225-230.  Most were probably closer to 210.

I am uploading videos right now, and will try to post them later tonight or maybe tomorrow.

BTW I have to give credit to all the guys who have given advice.  Especially @mvmac .  It appears (to me) the biggest change since the first vids is posture.  I would have not believed before that it could improve ball striking as much as it has.  I don't really have anything else to attribute it to though.  I did try to keep the right arm soft, but when I looked at my vids, it did not appear I made a whole lot of headway there.  I suppose it is possible I just had a good day, but I don't really think so.  I played quite a bit better than I ever have before.  My ball striking was substantially better, and it definitely showed up in my score.

Again, thanks a lot guys.

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Again, thanks a lot guys.

Our pleasure, glad you're hitting it better

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Well here are the videos from the range before I played last Friday.  I have to say I did "try" to keep the right arm soft.  I do not see a whole lot of difference, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can.  Certainly something was working right based upon the way I was hitting the ball that night.

6 iron DTL

6 iron FO

Driver DTL

Driver FO

In the frame-by-frame, I still see loss of lag early.  It appears I start to throw the angles away early in the downswing, but then hold on through impact and follow through.  It appears strange to me.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Grip may be a little palmy, make sure the heel pad is on top of the grip. Check out the first video here

http://thesandtrap.com/t/73018/my-swing-shindig/18#post_986697

Mike McLoughlin

Grip may be a little palmy, make sure the heel pad is on top of the grip. Check out the first video here

http://thesandtrap.com/t/73018/my-swing-shindig/18#post_986697

Will do.  Thanks.

Keep working on the soft right arm as well?

-Matt-

Just got back from the range. Went very well. I had 2 feels that seemed to be working. With the soft right arm, I had the feel of the right elbow folding up more instead of sliding behind me. The other feel was a bit of revving the motorcycle in the transition. It seemed to be working good. Anybody think these feels are pertinent for me? Or am I off base?

-Matt-

Well here are some vids from Saturday night.  Again I was using the feels that I posted above.  Definitely seemed to improve distance with the Driver.  Who knows though, maybe I was just timing my swing well that day.

I really tried to concentrate on the soft right arm.  Does it appear that I made progress here?  Any other thoughts are appreciated.  I do still see a lack of key #3, but I believe @mvmac was thinking the soft right arm, and grip more in the fingers would help this.

6iron DTL

6iron FO

Driver DTL

Driver FO

In case nobody noticed, I was able to break the mental block with the "sawed off" finish. :dance: At least it makes the swing look better.  Maybe a by-product of the soft right arm?

-Matt-

I see you had your caddie with you.

Uhuh.  A little on the weak side, but strong enough to carry the ball...

-Matt-

In case nobody noticed, I was able to break the mental block with the "sawed off" finish.    At least it makes the swing look better.  Maybe a by-product of the soft right arm?

Ah yeah! And a badass one at that!  Dang, you now literally have the best swing for a 14 handicap in the history of...history! ;-)

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

In case nobody noticed, I was able to break the mental block with the "sawed off" finish.    At least it makes the swing look better.  Maybe a by-product of the soft right arm?

Ah yeah! And a badass one at that!  Dang, you now literally have the best swing for a 14 handicap in the history of...history!

Do I win anything for this???

On a serious note, I'd rather not be in this "elite" group.  Results would be nicer.

"Dude your swing looks sweet....to bad you still can't hit the ball worth a crap"

-Matt-

On a serious note, I'd rather not be in this "elite" group.  Results would be nicer.

"Dude your swing looks sweet....to bad you still can't hit the ball worth a crap"

I don't see how you are hitting the ball like crap. You might need to infuse a little confidence in your game perhaps.

- Shane

Lol. Sigh.....

I'm with you there. This morning I went par, double, par, triple, par, bogey, triple, double, par... :bugout:

:cry:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Well here are some vids from Saturday night.  Again I was using the feels that I posted above.  Definitely seemed to improve distance with the Driver.  Who knows though, maybe I was just timing my swing well that day.

I really tried to concentrate on the soft right arm.  Does it appear that I made progress here?  Any other thoughts are appreciated.  I do still see a lack of key #3, but I believe @mvmac was thinking the soft right arm, and grip more in the fingers would help this.

Yes definitely better with that right arm. You can see it in the set-up and the sequencing, nice work. Here's where I would focus on next. Arms get a bit too far behind you on the downswing and the right elbow is behind your shirt seam. This will tend to increase the rate that the club "overtakes" the hands, so harder to achieve Key #3.

I would start with this drill......

Because the right elbow starts to slide behind you on the backswing

Mike McLoughlin

Quote:

I don't see how you are hitting the ball like crap. You might need to infuse a little confidence in your game perhaps.

When I say crap, I mean thins, fats.  The ball still goes straight (relatively).  I rarely slice or hook the ball off of the course.  My miss is short.  The short miss means I can still score somewhat decent when my short game is on.  I can't really club up because a fat with the 8 iron does not go considerably longer (for me) than a fat with the 9.  The contact just feels, I dunno, crappy...  I sometimes do hit the ball decent, and it feels substantially better.

Quote:

Lol. Sigh.....

I'm with you there. This morning I went par, double, par, triple, par, bogey, triple, double, par...

Uhuh.....

Quote:

I really tried to concentrate on the soft right arm.  Does it appear that I made progress here?  Any other thoughts are appreciated.  I do still see a lack of key #3, but I believe @mvmac was thinking the soft right arm, and grip more in the fingers would help this.

Yes definitely better with that right arm. You can see it in the set-up and the sequencing, nice work. Here's where I would focus on next. Arms get a bit too far behind you on the downswing and the right elbow is behind your shirt seam. This will tend to increase the rate that the club "overtakes" the hands, so harder to achieve Key #3.

I would start with this drill......

Because the right elbow starts to slide behind you on the backswing

Thanks!!!  I had thought that my right elbow slid around some, but was not sure how big of a deal it was.  When I see the side-by-side pics, it seems more obvious.  I also do not have the expertise to decide on priority pieces.  Again @mvmac , thanks much, I really appreciate your help.

I assume the fats and thins (crappy contact) is probably due to a lack of key #3.  This is really exciting.  I would also assume some distance gains if I can achieve a decent key #3.

-Matt-

I assume the fats and thins (crappy contact) is probably due to a lack of key #3.  This is really exciting.  I would also assume some distance gains if I can achieve a decent key #3.

Yes on both accounts :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Just read the whole thread. You have made great improvements.

Thank you. I have always been decent at just about any sport I tried. Not great, just decent. Golf though, has come hard. I have always felt I should be better than I am. @mvmac and others have been very helpful in pointing me in the right direction. For the first time I feel like I actually will get better. Already have in fact. I just have to do my part and diligently work on the items I have been given.

-Matt-

Note: This thread is 1065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!