IGNORED

My Swing (CarlSpackler)

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 2647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Awesome! I know what I will be doing all winter long.

As you may have seen in the video I gave myself a little room between the stick and my head. The head can move a little, just don't want a lot of translation.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
I was looking to get a Game Golf with Christmas money, but called an audible and ordered a net that I can set up in the garage. Time to get to work for 2015.

- Shane

• 2 months later...
I went to Golftec for a practice session yesterday. Their video system is awesome. You review the video after every swing instead of taking video at the range, going home to review, then working on it at the next. This is probably the best progress I've made on Key 1. I think I'll be going back for more practice sessions. I made it out for nine holes with my son today. He was basically hacking it around, but he was having fun. The course wasn't really set up yet, but it was nice to be outside on the course. I'm getting him a season pass too, so it should be fun getting out and playing with him.

- Shane

• Administrator

Additional note, Golftec guy popped in and noted that my club is closed at the top. Wrist is cupped. I need to think Dustin Johnson.

Be careful. Going DJ there closes the face more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Be careful. Going DJ there closes the face more.

Good point. I pretty much ignored him, but I realize that my tendency is to cup my left wrist. I'll have to check it on video. I was really working on Key 1 though since that is my biggest nemesis. It was great to get instantaneous feedback on what I was feeling vs. what I am actually doing with their camera system. I wasn't even looking at the numbers or ball flight on the launch monitor. I just wanted to see the picture change. It's probably going to take many more trips to make this a permanent change. I really want to get up there too.

- Shane

Went in to Golftec this morning for an analysis. Interesting gadgets there. The lesson plans are way out of the budget, but the feedback this morning was pretty good. A lot of the same stuff that I battled last year (big surprise). Shoulder rotation is too flat (need more inclined). Chicken wingy and flippy. Key 1 still an issue. Hips and shoulders are under rotated and impact. It felt like I was making progress on some of this stuff, but as we say...

Went out and walked 9 this afternoon. I couldn't make solid contact to save my life. I ended up shooting 46, and it was an ugly 46. I was topping my 3w and hybrid and miss hitting my driver. Not a good start for my Game Golf profile. Finally on #9 I hit a sweet hybrid out of a fairway bunker to pin high and 2 putted for par.

- Shane

You seem like the type who plays a lot and does not know how to practice effectively and you probably think that you "got it" well before you do. True assessment? Change is very hard. Golf is very hard. Seek out quality instruction and work hard at it. Or if you are content to play the same golf you have always played just keep doing what you are doing. Neither is bad or good - it is just what you want to do and get out of golf.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

You seem like the type who plays a lot and does not know how to practice effectively and you probably think that you "got it" well before you do.

True assessment?

Change is very hard. Golf is very hard.

Seek out quality instruction and work hard at it. Or if you are content to play the same golf you have always played just keep doing what you are doing. Neither is bad or good - it is just what you want to do and get out of golf.

Last year I practiced more than I played actually. My short game suffered because I spent a LOT of time on the range working on my full swing and not much time on the course. As far as the effectiveness of the practice, who knows. I might not be working on the right stuff or just not getting it. I've been swinging like this for many years, so I just seem to revert back to old habits very easily.

- Shane

I've been working on this drill the last few nights at the suggestion of the Golftec guy. Main purpose for me is to increase shoulder tilt, but it also helps with shoulder turn. Posting for reference.

- Shane

• 2 weeks later...

6 holes of twilight practice. I've been topping and mishitting my 3w really bad the last 3 times out. I was crushing it the first 2 times out this year. I need to figure that one out soon. It's killing me.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/sknick/round/241746

- Shane

I've been topping and mishitting my 3w really bad the last 3 times out. I was crushing it the first 2 times out this year. I need to figure that one out soon. It's killing me.

Is it the same issue that @mvmac pointed out last Fall? You're translating forward which changes where the bottom of your swing is?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Is it the same issue that @mvmac pointed out last Fall? You're translating forward which changes where the bottom of your swing is?

Could be. I'll need to take some video and see.

- Shane

• 2 weeks later...

Last few weeks (although I did miss some days on vaca last week) I've been doing the shoulder tilt and turn that I linked to above for 10-15 reps focusing on keeping my spine angle the same. I'm also focusing on leading with lower body, not upper. I will then grip the club and do slow mo swings focusing on the same things. I'll switch back to the drill for a few more reps and then back to a slow mo swing. Hope to get video done this week to see if things are changing. It feels different, but...

- Shane

The good: Driver is definitely becoming my friend again. I had one bad pull hook last night, but I was otherwise pleased. Distance is getting better too.

The bad: Putting is OK and saving me. Chips and pitches are average to poor. I'm missing a lot of easy up and downs. Should have had an easy birdie on a par 5 last night.

The ugly: Long irons and 3w. Still chunking, topping, etc. Must figure this out soon. Costing me quite a few per round.

- Shane

• 3 weeks later...

The last few rounds have been horrible. Driving the ball good most of the time, but everything else is just plain horrible. It seems to be normal for this time of year.

I REALLY want to get up to Erie soon. Hopefully time will free up after my daughter grad party in a few weeks.

- Shane

Practice at the edge of your ability, Dough. You know what this means (I think). When you play, play. When you practice, do it at the edge.

Borrowed from @saevel25 's MySwing thread. I scored great last Friday when I was just out playing with the boy. Last night, I was thinking about swing mechanics and all kinds of other crap and shot horribly.

STOP IT!!!!

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!