IGNORED

What balls do you use/would recommend

Note: This thread is 3363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there,

I currently use titleist pro v1x or titleist pro v1, currently pro v1x. I'm interested in looking at what balls you guys use and what you recommend and what I should try.

I play off of 11 and prefer a softer ball that I can control well. Distance is not an issue I'm not worried about it as I can find it easily but being able to control around the green is what I want.

I currently get these balls: http://www.lakeballs.com/products.asp?partno=NPROV125
Grading Scale: http://www.lakeballs.com/main.asp?sitepages=Grading

So, what would you recommend. I like a soft ball that will be easy to use around the green, I'm not to worried about distance more about how it feels. I love to do short game and do well around the green. I of course don't want to spend to much but will if needs be.

So what would you recommend? More than happy to answer questions about my playing style :)

Welcome @iKyle93 .  I use the ProV1 (mostly) and V1X as well.  I have not tried the new NXT Tour S, but have heard good things about them.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome @iKyle93 .  I use the ProV1 (mostly) and V1X as well.  I have not tried the new NXT Tour S, but have heard good things about them.

Thanks for the reply and welcome!

I used the old NXT and that felt like hitting a stone! Tried one or two NXT Tours and they felt a little better nothing amazing in my view, might see if I can take a look at some of the NXT Tours S if my club has them. Worth a try eh! Thanks again

Is there anything you don't like about the ball you're using now?  If not, why change?

FWIW, the Bridgestone B330 series and Srixon Z-Stars are also soft, high-spin, premium balls that have very similar playing characteristics to the ProV's.  The Srixons can be found for significantly less $'s than either of the others...

Welcome to the site.  Stick around! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Thanks for the reply and welcome!

I used the old NXT and that felt like hitting a stone! Tried one or two NXT Tours and they felt a little better nothing amazing in my view, might see if I can take a look at some of the NXT Tours S if my club has them. Worth a try eh! Thanks again

I used to use the old NXT Tour, and it was softer than the NXT.  But I didn't like it around the greens as much as the ProV1s.  Also, it seemed less durable than the ProV1.  I will play the ProV1 with some scuffing and it plays just the same.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Is there anything you don't like about the ball you're using now?  If not, why change?

FWIW, the Bridgestone B330 series and Srixon Z-Stars are also soft, high-spin, premium balls that have very similar playing characteristics to the ProV's.  The Srixons can be found for significantly less $'s than either of the others...

Welcome to the site.  Stick around!

Nothing major, just I've found they wear very quick and I'm not quite getting the contact and performance I would like. For example I've used a Srixon Soft Feel and they feel great and I like how I can control them. They are just not as good overall for me. So thus why I'm wondering if there is a ball that would be better for me over all :) I've been hearing good things about the B330. As I said I have had nothing bad with Srixon so will be sure to look at the Z-Stars for sure!

Both NXT Tour and NXT Tour S are softer in the 2014 version. I played a round with Tour S and liked it very much.

Normally I play Srixon Q Star. I'd say it's a great mid price ball, not too hard not too soft.

Both NXT Tour and NXT Tour S are softer in the 2014 version. I played a round with Tour S and liked it very much.

Normally I play Srixon Q Star. I'd say it's a great mid price ball, not too hard not too soft.

Ah thats good, well then I will make sure to check the NXT Tour S out as part of my list :)

I used to use the old NXT Tour, and it was softer than the NXT.  But I didn't like it around the greens as much as the ProV1s.  Also, it seemed less durable than the ProV1.  I will play the ProV1 with some scuffing and it plays just the same.

Ah okay, so you would be a ProV1 man then?

I use the Bridgestone 330rx and I have tried to go to the Prov1x but I seem to get more side spin with the prov.  And plus the Bridgestone commercials are a little more entertaining then the titleist.  Thats why I got my Covert 2.0 driver because of commercials....LOL

Ah thats good, well then I will make sure to check the NXT Tour S out as part of my list :)

Ah okay, so you would be a ProV1 man then?

Yes.  I just like how it is around the greens the best.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I play no sanctioned events.  It is just us guys who play together.   If I played a sanctioned event (which I cannot because of hormone replacement therapy) I would probably choose ProV1. I use Bandit golf balls.  Really long.  Got them off the net.  Better hit straight tho, cause if you don't that extra yardage is going straight to the next fairway!!  They really do outhit everything and are reasonable in price.  My friends keep begging them off of me.  Lost two of them on Saturday by overdriving green and getting into the pond.  Really nice ball.  I also have some Slazengers from the 1970s  and they hit darn long as well.  I guess it is a technology thing.  If you change to a radical ball you will have to rethink your club selection.

The ProV1 series is obviously a great ball. Personally, in the premium line, I also slightly prefer the Bridgestone 330 series, plus they are a couple bucks cheaper per dozen. If I am playing in some kind of competition, I will usually spring for a premium ball, especially in a team event. In less expensive balls, I usually skip the mid-priced NXTs and use the lower priced Titleist DT Solo. They are at least half price compared to the ProV's, and for casual play, just as good for me. I have heard good things about the Wilson Duo, and plan to try some of those this year. I play a lot for fun with vintage equipment, the the Solo works well with that as well, as I have heard the Wilson Duo does. Most of my play is with the DT Solo.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

The ProV1 series is obviously a great ball. Personally, in the premium line, I also slightly prefer the Bridgestone 330 series, plus they are a couple bucks cheaper per dozen. If I am playing in some kind of competition, I will usually spring for a premium ball, especially in a team event.

I have to agree. I really like last seasons Bridgestone 330 series. Right now they are on sale for about 10 bucks off a dozen.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Well, after doing some looking I've ordered the following.

12 more pearl grade Pro V1's

3 new NXT Tour S

25 pearl grade B330

Will get them delivered soon so will be able to give you guys my opinion on them all!

If you tried ProV1

Taylormade Penta x or (TP 5) is a good one.

Wilson FG Tour

Bridgestone B330

Mizuno MP S ( heard some good things about them but never hit them)

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I am not that good yet where a $4 golf ball will help my game.  Also this is the first year I chose to use Yellow balls.  This decision was made due to the past few years here in PA the courses stayed lush all year and the grass did not grow slower in the summers due to all the rain.  Lots of the courses around here use a Kentucky blue grass mix and you can not mow that as low so I was losing way too many balls.  Out of all the yellow balls I have tried for less then $30 a box I like the Golfsmith MacGregor tourney yellow.  Golfsmith owns that brand name.  I love this ball.  Only other ball I have in my bag right now is the Srixon Q-star tour yellow.  That is a nice ball as well.

• 2 months later...
Note: This thread is 3363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!