IGNORED

Name Your Team USA Ryder Cup Squad

SteveBamford
Note:Β This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Brevity can also become tediously predictable

While verbosity is simply tedious.Β  As with many things, the trick lies in striking a happy medium.

Ah well, back on topic now.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While verbosity is simply tedious.Β  As with many things, the trick lies in striking a happy medium.

The answer is simple. Don't read what you don't want to, but if you're going to do that, don't be surprised when there's a gap (which you in fairness do ackowledge) or don't say "I'm genuinely interested in your insight" when the likelihood is that you aren't

• 2 weeks later...
Hunter Mahan's win at the Barclays pretty much seals being a captains pick. Sneds has been hot. Simpson had a good week at the Wyndham. Keegan Bradley is a good option as well. Moore, Todd, or Na don't look likely.

Riley

Yeah, now you're looking at prolly 3 players for two spots: Snedeker, Simpson and Bradley. I think Sneds is likely going to be one of them along with Mahan. So that narrows it down to Bradley and Simpson......if it were today. Still two weeks to go. Things can change.

After Snedeker, Simpson, and Moore all missed the cut, Brendon Todd had a great opportunity to hold the inside track for one of the captain's picks. Having appeared on the top page of the leaderboard for three days, a solid round on Sunday would have put Tom Watson on notice; instead, he shot a 76. My concern for the American team as it stands would be whether they have enough players who can make lots of birdies. Snedeker in particular is worryingly average in most of the PGA Tour's scoring statistics this season compared to Bradley, Moore, and Simpson, who all rank within the top 25 in scoring average, birdie average, and par breakers. I'd hesitate to make Sneds a lock for this team.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5Β° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17Β° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20Β° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60Β° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I'm thinking Mahan and Bradley are in. The last spot could still be Dufner if he's healthy next week.Β  If not,Β  I'd be leaning towards Webb Simpson, but not that confident in it.

Going into the last week though, it's really still up for grabs. I could see going with Ryan Moore, as the guy who has had the best season, and Bill Haas has maybe become an interesting dark horse candidate as the guy who's playing well right now (T2 at Wyndham, T15 at Barclays).Β  And Kevin Na with a T9 -9 in Barclays remains very much in the mix.

Both Simpson and Snedeker also looked good last week (T5 at Wyndham), but then missed the cut at Barclay's. I'd prefer Simpson of those two.Β  Simpson has been erratic, with too many missed cuts, but also more top 10 finishes (8 on the season) than any of the other candidates.

After Snedeker, Simpson, and Moore all missed the cut, Brendon Todd had a great opportunity to hold the inside track for one of the captain's picks. Having appeared on the top page of the leaderboard for three days, a solid round on Sunday would have put Tom Watson on notice; instead, he shot a 76.

My concern for the American team as it stands would be whether they have enough players who can make lots of birdies. Snedeker in particular is worryingly average in most of the PGA Tour's scoring statistics this season compared to Bradley, Moore, and Simpson, who all rank within the top 25 in scoring average, birdie average, and par breakers. I'd hesitate to make Sneds a lock for this team.

Snedeker has been the most consistent the last couple months. I think this last week can be overlooked if he rebounds next week. If he doesn't, then he gets put back in the questionable category.

My issue with Keegan is he's had two bad tournaments in a row, not to mention a rough start to the season. He was on a streak of good finishes there during the summer, but outside of that he hasn't impressed.

I still think Snedeker and Mahan are safe for now.....with Bradley/Simpson/Todd fighting for that last spot. But that's just my two cents.

Snedeker has been the most consistent the last couple months. I think this last week can be overlooked if he rebounds next week. If he doesn't, then he gets put back in the questionable category.

My issue with Keegan is he's had two bad tournaments in a row, not to mention a rough start to the season. He was on a streak of good finishes there during the summer, but outside of that he hasn't impressed.

I still think Snedeker and Mahan are safe for now.....with Bradley/Simpson/Todd fighting for that last spot. But that's just my two cents.

In my view, Snedeker is the weakest choice out of the handful of players vying for the remaining captain's picks. The fact is, his resume this season doesn't hold up against the other candidates, and the big-picture statistics show him to be on a lower tier from the rest.

TOP-10 FINISHES (TOP-3)

Webb Simpson: 8 (4)

Ryan Moore: 7 (1)

Brendon Todd: 7 (1)

Keegan Bradley: 6 (1)

Kevin Na: 6 (3)

Brandt Snedeker: 3 (0)

SCORING AVERAGE (RANK)

Na: 69.832 (11)

Todd: 69.954 (16)

Bradley: 70.031 (19)

Simpson: 70.134 (24)

Moore: 70.156 (27)

Snedeker: 70.592 (55)

TOTAL STROKES GAINED (RANK)

Na: 1.219 (13)
Moore: 1.202 (15)

Simpson: 1.143 (17)

Bradley: .953 (26)
Todd: .904 (29)
Snedeker: .664 (44)

ALL-AROUND RANKING
Na: 9

Moore: 11

Bradley: 23

Simpson: 26

Todd: 34

Snedeker: 76

FEDEX CUP RANKING, AS OF THE BARCLAYS

Na: 13

Todd: 18

Simpson: 22

Moore: 26

Bradley: 29

Snedeker: 71

Snedeker averages half a stroke more per round in 2014 than the other players in contention for a captain's pick. While the other five players are in position to reach the Tour Championship, Sneds is on the outside looking in just to get into the BMW. Even in putting, the strongest facet of his game, his strokes-gained average (.452) is indistinguishable from Na or Simpson (.430, .423), and considerably less than Todd (.730). I just don't see it, unless he wins in Boston this week.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5Β° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17Β° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20Β° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60Β° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

In my view, Snedeker is the weakest choice out of the handful of players vying for the remaining captain's picks. The fact is, his resume this season doesn't hold up against the other candidates, and the big-picture statistics show him to be on a lower tier from the rest. TOP-10 FINISHES (TOP-3) Webb Simpson: 8 (4) Ryan Moore: 7 (1) Brendon Todd: 7 (1) Keegan Bradley: 6 (1) Kevin Na: 6 (3) Brandt Snedeker: 3 (0) SCORING AVERAGE (RANK) Na: 69.832 (11) Todd: 69.954 (16) Bradley: 70.031 (19) Simpson: 70.134 (24) Moore: 70.156 (27) Snedeker: 70.592 (55) TOTAL STROKES GAINED (RANK) Na: 1.219 (13) Moore: 1.202 (15) Simpson: 1.143 (17) Bradley: .953 (26) Todd: .904 (29) Snedeker: .664 (44) ALL-AROUND RANKING Na: 9 Moore: 11 Bradley: 23 Simpson: 26 Todd: 34 Snedeker: 76 FEDEX CUP RANKING, AS OF THE BARCLAYS Na: 13 Todd: 18 Simpson: 22 Moore: 26 Bradley: 29 Snedeker: 71 Snedeker averages half a stroke more per round in 2014 than the other players in contention for a captain's pick. While the other five players are in position to reach the Tour Championship, Sneds is on the outside looking in just to get into the BMW. Even in putting, the strongest facet of his game, his strokes-gained average (.452) is indistinguishable from Na or Simpson (.430, .423), and considerably less than Todd (.730). I just don't see it, unless he wins in Boston this week.

Well damn, Kevin Na kicks everybody's ass.

Riley

Snedeker averages half a stroke more per round in 2014 than the other players in contention for a captain's pick. While the other five players are in position to reach the Tour Championship, Sneds is on the outside looking in just to get into the BMW. Even in putting, the strongest facet of his game, his strokes-gained average (.452) is indistinguishable from Na or Simpson (.430, .423), and considerably less than Todd (.730). I just don't see it, unless he wins in Boston this week.

Yeah, and he has played well over the last couple of months, but still not really much (any?) moreso than Ryan Moore, Kevin Na, Bill Haas or Keegan Bradcley. I think the argument for Snedeker is mostly that he's had the best career, and did so very recently. Basically, he was a top 10 player in the OWGR in both 2012 and 2013. So he isn't having the best year, but he may still be one of the best players.

Still, looking at the top USA players currently in the OWGR:

6. Jim Furyk

8. Matt Kuchar

9. Bubba Watson

10. Phil Mickelson

11. Rickie Fowler

12. Tiger Woods

13. Jordan Speith

15. Zach Johnson

17. Dustin Johnson

19. Hunter Mahan

20. Jimmy Walker

23. Steve Stricker

24. Keegan Bradley

25. Patrick Reed

28. Jason Dufner

30. Bill Haas

32. Webb Simpson

33. Kevin Na

36. Brandt Snedeker

39. Ryan Moore

42. Brendon Todd

He just doesn't seem a slam dunk to me.Β  I would tend to give some weight to career, especially recent years, and maybe that puts Snedeker ahead of Haas, Na, Moore, or Todd if it's close.Β  But even then he might still be behind Mahan, Bradley, Dufner (if healthy) and Simpson.

Well, I heard an interview from Patrick Reed where, if he had said it once it would be ok (I think), but he said it repeatedly and made a HUGE deal about it - "I'm glad I EARNED my spot"

indicating he made automatic due to earnings rather than a captain's pick (or he explicitly noted it, like a captain's pick is charity or devalued or the like)

I think that's really a crappy way to piss on those teammates that will be captain's picks

It also seems to indicate an assumption that he'd have been a lock as a pick if he hadn't made enough cash

If I was a captain, I'd avoid this guy like the plague - I don't care how he's playing.Β  Bad for the rest of the team.

(actually, I'm sure it was just a self centric comment where he's trying to explain a personal goal of his in this regard, but it was really a terrible comment and the guy needs to learn to think before he opens his mouth.....again)

Bill -Β 

Well, I heard an interview from Patrick Reed where, if he had said it once it would be ok (I think), but he said it repeatedly and made a HUGE deal about it - "I'm glad I EARNED my spot"

indicating he made automatic due to earnings rather than a captain's pick (or he explicitly noted it, like a captain's pick is charity or devalued or the like)

I think that's really a crappy way to piss on those teammates that will be captain's picks

It also seems to indicate an assumption that he'd have been a lock as a pick if he hadn't made enough cash

If I was a captain, I'd avoid this guy like the plague - I don't care how he's playing.Β  Bad for the rest of the team.

(actually, I'm sure it was just a self centric comment where he's trying to explain a personal goal of his in this regard, but it was really a terrible comment and the guy needs to learn to think before he opens his mouth.....again)

Without actually having heard the comments, mind you ... I don't follow at all.Β  This is a common sentiment from different players every Ryder Cup cycle.Β  And I know he's not even the first this year to express these feelings.Β  Nobody wants to rely on a captains pick to make the team, they all want to earn their spot.

Why is it a big deal that Reed also said this?

• Administrator
Without actually having heard the comments, mind you ... I don't follow at all.Β  This is a common sentiment from different players every Ryder Cup cycle.Β  And I know he's not even the first this year to express these feelings.Β  Nobody wants to rely on a captains pick to make the team, they all want to earn their spot.

Why is it a big deal that Reed also said this?

Right.

He's glad he earned his spot because now he doesn't have to sit around and wait to see if he's picked. He's in.

"Earned my spot" is not the same thing as "deserving of a captain's pick".

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

In my view, Snedeker is the weakest choice out of the handful of players vying for the remaining captain's picks. The fact is, his resume this season doesn't hold up against the other candidates, and the big-picture statistics show him to be on a lower tier from the rest.

Snedeker's numbers are way off because he was horrible earlier this year. He couldn't make a cut. I believe Watson's going to pick guys based on form going in, and he's also going to factor in things like experience and their play overseas. Prior to last week, Sneds had 5 finishes inside the top-13 in his last 8 starts. Not to mention he had two top-11s at the British in the last 3 years, which I think also carries some weight. If there were a lot of "Captain's pick" options playing well, then I can see Snedeker not being on the team. But outside of Mahan who won last week, who is really showing anything worth a damn? At least Sneds has shown some consistency with solid finishes since the US Open. He may not be winning, but he's posting consistent finishes up until last week...and that could have been because he hadn't taken a break since the Open Championship.

Snedeker's numbers are way off because he was horrible earlier this year. He couldn't make a cut. I believe Watson's going to pick guys based on form going in, and he's also going to factor in things like experience and their play overseas. Prior to last week, Sneds had 5 finishes inside the top-13 in his last 8 starts. Not to mention he had two top-11s at the British in the last 3 years, which I think also carries some weight. If there were a lot of "Captain's pick" options playing well, then I can see Snedeker not being on the team. But outside of Mahan who won last week, who is really showing anything worth a damn? At least Sneds has shown some consistency with solid finishes since the US Open. He may not be winning, but he's posting consistent finishes up until last week...and that could have been because he hadn't taken a break since the Open Championship.

Yeah but Na's been doing the same thing. Chilli Dipper has got me sold. NA Over Sneds. Mahan & Bradley with the next 2.

Riley

Yeah but Na's been doing the same thing. Chilli Dipper has got me sold. NA Over Sneds. Mahan & Bradley with the next 2.

I said Na a few weeks ago. I think he deserves it over Snedeker. I really don't care about all the veteran talk. We can win this thing anyway so might as well take currently deserving guys. Na also is a pretty good putter. And I think his craziness might be just the fun jolt we need to pester UK.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland:Β CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Note:Β This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!