IGNORED

Name Your Team USA Ryder Cup Squad

SteveBamford
Note: This thread is 3533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe Watson's going to pick guys based on form going in, and he's also going to factor in things like experience and their play overseas. Prior to last week, Sneds had 5 finishes inside the top-13 in his last 8 starts.

You can make an argument that all of these guys are playing well. The thing with Snedeker is, we know that at his best he's reached a higher ceiling than most of these other guys (except maybe Mahan or Simpson).  I think that's really the strongest argument for Snedeker. But if you are looking at recent play, it's now 5 top 13 finishes in his last 9 starts. But you can also say Ryan Moore has 4 in his last 6 and Kevin Na 4 in his last 8. Keegan Bradley has 3 top 4 finishes in his last 8.  Bill Haas only has 3 top 15 in his last 8, 4 in his last 10, but he also hasn't missed a cut all season due to play (he had one withdrawal due to a wrist injury after an opening round 72), so maybe he's your guy if you really want consistency.

I think Snedeker would be a good pick, but if the argument is going to be recent play, he probably still needs a decent showing next week to seal the deal.

Yeah but Na's been doing the same thing. Chilli Dipper has got me sold. NA Over Sneds. Mahan & Bradley with the next 2.

Yeah but like the previous poster said, Sneds has a much higher ceiling than Na. Before his rib injury last year, some were saying he was one of the top 2 or 3 players in the world. He's struggled really since coming back from that injury but seems to be showing signs of bouncing back with solid finishes of late. Also like I said, it's not just his solid performances in recent starts. You have to look at experience and his record in previous Opens overseas, even if it's not a links course. Na does not have the greatest resume when it comes performing in the clutch.

That being said, if he has a bad week this week and misses another cut, he's prolly back on the outside looking in. This is a huge week for him to make a statement.

That being said, if he has a bad week this week and misses another cut, he's prolly back on the outside looking in. This is a huge week for him to make a statement.

The same is true for everyone besides Mahan. If I were making the selections right now, I'd say he hasn't shown me enough.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

The same is true for everyone besides Mahan. If I were making the selections right now, I'd say he hasn't shown me enough.

Yeah, but who has? That's kinda my point. Nobody's shown anything the last month. Bradley's fallen back off the face of the earth, Na has proven he's not good in the clutch...same with Moore, Todd's been non-existent. The thing Snedeker has going for him is his playing ability and his experience, not to mention he's been solid the last couple months.

Without actually having heard the comments, mind you ... I don't follow at all.  This is a common sentiment from different players every Ryder Cup cycle.  And I know he's not even the first this year to express these feelings.  Nobody wants to rely on a captains pick to make the team, they all want to earn their spot.

Why is it a big deal that Reed also said this?

I get that.  The delivery was really bad and didn't come across as simple as it really is (as you state).  That's all I was glitching about.

IMO - a player 'earns' his spot if he makes the team either route.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Holding true to what I said, he had another bad week and missed another cut, and now I think he's on the outside looking in. Todd missing the cut as well it appears. If Haas wins it may stir things up, but I think with the announcement in a few days, Simpson, Mahan and Bradley have to be sitting pretty right now.

If Haas wins it may stir things up, but I think with the announcement in a few days, Simpson, Mahan and Bradley have to be sitting pretty right now.

I'm kind of rooting for Mahan, Bradley, and Haas at this point.  Haas is probably still a bit of a darkhorse though.

My only issue with Mahan is that even though he won last week, he hasn't done anything this year that's very noteworthy. Another bad week this week.

Will be interesting to see if a big darkhorse is selected. Usually every Ryder Cup season there's one of those guys. It could be a Kevin Streelman or Chris Kirk this go around.

Listening to both Chamblee and Rosaforte this morning, they both think that Bradley's a lock. They're torn on Simpson and Snedeker. Rosaforte seems to think Snedeker will get picked, while Chamblee thinks Simpson will get picked. Both have no idea how Watson will view Mahan.

I'm a bit torn on Simpson, as he has been very up and down, but his overall stats at this point probably do make him a favorite.  For the season, he's now at #17 in total strokes gained, # 14 in money won, #5 in top 10 finishes. And as for guys who "play well on Sunday", he ranks #7 in final round scoring average.  Those are all pretty strong ranks when one considers that a lot of the guys ahead of him are not American.

And I had been leaning towards Haas as a good dark horse, but I think the problem there is that Haas strength is that he is a great ballstriker, something the team already has plenty of. His weakness seems to be putting, which is what the team may need more of. So maybe a guy like Brendon Todd would be a better fit.

Todd I think would be a good fit in team play, so long as you pair him with a strong driver like Mahan or Fowler, or even Ryan Moore.  Todd ranks #16 in scoring average, #15 in money leaders, but also #6 in strokes gained putting, #3 in total birdies, and #6 in scrambling.  The way the Centenary Course is laid out, 7 of the 10 par fours are odd numbered holes.  So basically, in foursomes where you are playing alternate shot, you have a guy like Todd tee off on odd numbered holes, and then he's the guy who will be putting for birdie on most of the par 3s, par 4s, and par 5s.

So given the makeup of the rest of the team, I think Todd would actually be a strong choice, despite not being the biggest name.

And are we assuming Moore is in automatically since Dufner is out? Is that how it works? If so, he's yet another guy who is strong tee to green (#15 strikes gained) but not putting (#72 strokes gained). Looks like he is strong both off the tee and with long approach shots.  A Moore + Todd team might play well above expectations in foursomes.

• Administrator

Tomorrow at 6pm on Golf Channel, right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Mahan is the highest OWGR player not on the team (other than DJ & Tiger) , won last week and is #3 in Fed Ex having played well 3 of his last 4 tournaments.  Kirk is #1 Fed Ex with 2 wins this year   I think the picks will be Mahan, Bradley and Kirk but it wouldn't surprise me to see something else.
19 20 47 USA Jimmy Walker 4.3517 226.29 52 -90.82 187.85 54
20 19 31 USA Hunter Mahan 4.2272 219.82 52 -105.59 157.17 54
21 22 32 FRA Victor Dubuisson 4.1034 176.45 43 -66.17 110.42 43
22 21 18 RSA Charl Schwartzel 4.0828 212.31 52 -139.61 102.60 57
23 24 20 USA Keegan Bradley 3.9464 205.21 52 -144.46 126.86 56
24 23 8 USA Steve Stricker 3.9424 157.70 40 -128.48 57.24 28
25 45 60 USA Chris Kirk 3.9274 204.22 52 -66.64 163.33 55
26 26 24 DEN Thomas Bjorn 3.8137 190.68 50 -88.47 87.21 50
27 25 73 USA Patrick Reed 3.7525 195.13 52 -57.84 177.85 55

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Here's the case against Mahan: just two-top 10 finishes in his last 17 events....including 6 MCs. Chris Kirk.....just 2 T10s in his last 21 events. Before their wins the last two weeks, were they even on Tom Watson's radar? That's something to consider.

Reason why I think Bradley and Simpson are good bets are because not only have they been on good form the last couple months tallying up a lot of top-10s, they played really well in team competition the last Ryder Cup. Watson/Simpson went 2-1 (very nearly 3-0) and Mickelson/Bradley went 3-0.

But outside of Simpson and Bradley, I think that last pick can go to anyone. I think eventually it's a choice between Snedeker or Mahan with Haas being the possible surprise pick. Snedeker's played well in majors this year and has had a pretty good last couple months....and while I don't think his friendship with Watson should matter....deep down I think Tom wants to pick him (but not sure he will). I think it's too little too late for Kirk. Outside of this week, he's done nothing of late.

Quote:
Mahan is the highest OWGR player not on the team (other than DJ & Tiger) , won last week and is #3 in Fed Ex having played well 3 of his last 4 tournaments.  Kirk is #1 Fed Ex with 2 wins this year   I think the picks will be Mahan, Bradley and Kirk but it wouldn't surprise me to see somethin

Of course the problem witht he current Fed Ex Cup ranking is it probably gives too much weight to two tournaments. In the season standings, Mahan was only at #62.  Chris Kirk on the other hand, was at #10 even in the season standings. I think Kirk's performance maybe now rules out Haas, since they are somewhat similar arguments, and Kirk's case is now stronger. I was impressed that Haas hadn't missed any cuts all year, but Kirk only missed two.

The problem is, while Kirk has ranked well on money won (19th), none of his other stats are really that good. He's just done a good job of finishing in the money, while only having 4 top 10s.  Of course it helps that two of those were wins.  No part of his game especially stands out, though he does seem to be pretty good with approach shots and longer puts.

I'm really not sure anyone is a given at this point. Simpson, Kirk, Todd, Bradley, Mahan are probably the strongest candidates. I wouldn't be surprised at any of them missing out, though.

Of course the problem witht he current Fed Ex Cup ranking is it probably gives too much weight to two tournaments. In the season standings, Mahan was only at #62.  Chris Kirk on the other hand, was at #10 even in the season standings. I think Kirk's performance maybe now rules out Haas, since they are somewhat similar arguments, and Kirk's case is now stronger. I was impressed that Haas hadn't missed any cuts all year, but Kirk only missed two.

The problem is, while Kirk has ranked well on money won (19th), none of his other stats are really that good. He's just done a good job of finishing in the money, while only having 4 top 10s.  Of course it helps that two of those were wins.  No part of his game especially stands out, though he does seem to be pretty good with approach shots and longer puts.

I'm really not sure anyone is a given at this point. Simpson, Kirk, Todd, Bradley, Mahan are probably the strongest candidates. I wouldn't be surprised at any of them missing out, though.

Posted this in the wrong thread -

I think Bradley, Mahan and Simpson are the more likely 3 but we'll see in a few hours.   Phil has to be pulling for Bradley given how well they paired up last time, Simpson and Mahan both have played in a Ryder Cups before too.

This will be the first year for Spieth, Reed and Walker so I'd think he'd use his picks on guys that have at least some tournament experience.

The team doesn't look as strong on paper without DJ, Tiger and Dufner.  I wouldn't be upset if he picked Fred Couples just to add some experience and positive energy to the team.

Joe Paradiso

Gotta pick Kirk because of how he smoked Rory this weekend. NOT because Rory thinks he's good like Rolfing repeated ad nauseam over the past 2 days.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I was sure it was going to be Bradley, Mahan, and Simpson 24 hours ago, but Kirk's victory changes things. Kirk was on the bubble a month ago, and if you told me he'd win in the playoffs, I would have thought it would be good enough to play his way on the team.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I'd go Bradley, Snedeker and then a toss-up between Mahan and Simpson.  Sneds has the kind of passion the team needs and can get hot with the putter and start rolling in from all over.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 3533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!