IGNORED

Most Embarrassing Moments on the Course?

jakepalm
Note: This thread is 1298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

About 20 years or so ago, when I first started really golfing, I played in a scramble.

I had been working hard on what I thought was supposed to happen in the golf swing - symmetry of your arms and wrist. Meaning, I thought the left wrist bent on the follow through like the right wrist does on the back swing. - talk about causing a flip!!

Anyway, I teed off on the first tee with all the other players standing around waiting to tee off. I hit a horrible shot and some guy (an acquaintance / aka friend) mocked me and said something like, "... well the shot sucked but at least your swing looked good." And everyone laughed.

That was a bad day!

I love this game!

Years ago, I was playing in the city golf tournament down in Lawton, OK, and I had to take a lost ball penalty because I forgot where I hit my tee shot!

My B-flight foursome was behind the A-flight groups, who were the slooowest golfers in the world. The course was backing up at No. 6, a short par 5 with a creek in front of the green. The A-guys were trying to hit the green in two, and mostly missing - rococheting off of trees or dumping it into the creek.

Anyway, the No. 7 is a routine par 4 with some trees overhanging the fairway. I skip my tee shot into the short rough, but the marshall comes up and tells me the A-guys are in the trees, and we should wait for them to get sorted out.

Anyway, about 20 minutes pass, and we finally get to go forward. But, I can't find my ball, and I honestly can't remember the line my drive took. So, it's two strokes and go back and re-hit my drive.

Despite my delay, on No. 9 tee we're waiting for the A-teams again. It's hard to concentrate during 6-hour rounds.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Years ago, I was playing in the city golf tournament down in Lawton, OK, and I had to take a lost ball penalty because I forgot where I hit my tee shot!

My B-flight foursome was behind the A-flight groups, who were the slooowest golfers in the world. The course was backing up at No. 6, a short par 5 with a creek in front of the green. The A-guys were trying to hit the green in two, and mostly missing - rococheting off of trees or dumping it into the creek.

Anyway, the No. 7 is a routine par 4 with some trees overhanging the fairway. I skip my tee shot into the short rough, but the marshall comes up and tells me the A-guys are in the trees, and we should wait for them to get sorted out.

Anyway, about 20 minutes pass, and we finally get to go forward. But, I can't find my ball, and I honestly can't remember the line my drive took. So, it's two strokes and go back and re-hit my drive.

Despite my delay, on No. 9 tee we're waiting for the A-teams again. It's hard to concentrate during 6-hour rounds.

Wow, a 20 min. wait...that had to be very frustrating to say the least.

Not my most embarrassing moment but it would be a shame not to write it down. Me and my friends booked a round of golf in Portugal for around 8.30 but the receptionist couldn't find the booking so she puts us in between two flights. So we were in a bit of a hurry at least it felt that way and when we were teeing off on the first hole the group that was behind us was already waiting. It was a large group of locals. My first friend took a shot and it went good. I made a decent one but the last one of our group really hooked it hard and was feeling pretty bad about it. We had two buggies and the guy with the hooked shot was alone in one of them. As we drove towards our balls we saw a nice happy group of ducks with young ones. It really was the perfect pictures. So the last guy who was fuming about his missed shot just drove his buggy completely missing that group of cute little ducks and at the last moment he could have braked he saw that he was driving over the group of ducks. He did try to brake but it was apparently to late. He hit a baby duck. He was pretty embarrassed about it. We kept joking that he hit his first birdie that day.

Not my most embarrassing moment but it would be a shame not to write it down. Me and my friends booked a round of golf in Portugal for around 8.30 but the receptionist couldn't find the booking so she puts us in between two flights. So we were in a bit of a hurry at least it felt that way and when we were teeing off on the first hole the group that was behind us was already waiting. It was a large group of locals. My first friend took a shot and it went good. I made a decent one but the last one of our group really hooked it hard and was feeling pretty bad about it. We had two buggies and the guy with the hooked shot was alone in one of them. As we drove towards our balls we saw a nice happy group of ducks with young ones. It really was the perfect pictures. So the last guy who was fuming about his missed shot just drove his buggy completely missing that group of cute little ducks and at the last moment he could have braked he saw that he was driving over the group of ducks. He did try to brake but it was apparently to late. He hit a baby duck. He was pretty embarrassed about it. We kept joking that he hit his first birdie that day.

Nothing funny here!

Gaz Lee

Nothing funny here!

Well, its definitely higher on my most embarrassing moments list then missing a one foot put.

Well, it's funny in a dead baby jokes kind of funny...

Yup! So not really funny at all! There's a fine line between embarrassment and shame! But don't mind me, I'm a sucker for baby animals! Especially little fluffy ducklings being killed unnecessarily!

Gaz Lee

Yeah well I usually just go out and kill those pesky good for nothing fluffy disease carriers. It's how we roll in the Netherlands. All kidding aside I love animals and would never hurt one that's cute (excluding lamb btw) but if I saw this scene in a movie I'd laughed out loud.

All kidding aside I love animals and would never hurt one that's cute (excluding lamb btw) but if I saw this scene in a movie I'd laughed out loud.

I completely agree... I thinks it's pretty freaking funny...

Colin P.

missing a one foot put.

Whenever that happens I don't even feel embarrassed...I just sort of accept my fate.

We must harness the crystiles.

:tmade: Nubbins B7 Putter

:tmade: r7 460 Graphite Driver

I have two, each as equally as embarrassing as the other.

1.  When I first started golfing I was quite the hot head that thought I was "cheating" my self by not playing the tips.  The club house of the course I was playing runs parallel to the first tee box and on one particular tee shot I hit the ball off the heel of my driver and the ball skipped straight left and smoked off the club house.  With no less than about 7-8 groups watching I had  hit one off the clubhouse from the tips.  (I did regain some face by teeing one up again and hitting it right down the middle of the fairway....but that was bad)

2.  My friend and I caught up to a single on about hole six one round and we decided to play with him due to the course being packed in front of us.  On hole nine I hit my drive off the heel of my three wood, the ball hits the stone marker that gives the layout of the hole, bounces back over my head, and rolls down the hill behind me about 150 yards from where the tee box was.

Playing a round with my little brother, 6'6" ex DIII 3-hitter.  At the time he was still convinced he was such one of God's gifts to athletics that he didn't need to learn to swing a golf club.  Hitting the driver is just like trying to crush a low fastball down the middle 10,000 feet to dead center, right?  We get to 11, longest par 4, uphill, with a par 3 green uphill about 45˚ left.  Brother's a lefty, knows it's a long hole, takes his "Yes, people call me Bubba" back swing, destroys the ball 45˚ left.  Lady's sitting in her cart holding her club like a cane with the head on the ground.  They're so close there's not even really time to yell fore or anything.  Ball ricochets off her chest and shatters the wrist holding the club.  Not a good moment for anyone...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I guess when I hit the ball on the wrong green on purpose (sort of). I was aiming at that green because I forgot which hole I was playing.

Both holes use the same tee box. :doh:

The waste was that it landed a couple of feet from the pin.

It wouldn't have been so embarrassing but another group was nearby and yelled "great shot" to me.

They were too far away to go to the trouble of telling them it was actually the wrong green so I just sort of waved at them, walked out on the green and picked up my ball, took a drop off of the green, and hit my second shot toward the proper hole.

When I turned back around I realized that group was still watching me. I can only imagine what they were thinking and saying as I picked up the ball and took a drop. :loco:

Playing a round with my little brother, 6'6" ex DIII 3-hitter.  At the time he was still convinced he was such one of God's gifts to athletics that he didn't need to learn to swing a golf club.  Hitting the driver is just like trying to crush a low fastball down the middle 10,000 feet to dead center, right?  We get to 11, longest par 4, uphill, with a par 3 green uphill about 45˚ left.  Brother's a lefty, knows it's a long hole, takes his "Yes, people call me Bubba" back swing, destroys the ball 45˚ left.  Lady's sitting in her cart holding her club like a cane with the head on the ground.  They're so close there's not even really time to yell fore or anything.  Ball ricochets off her chest and shatters the wrist holding the club.  Not a good moment for anyone...

This is one of the things I am scared of the most. Hitting someone with a golf ball. I would probably laugh about this for years to come if it happened to one of my mates. [quote name="MS256" url="/t/74655/most-embarrassing-moments-on-the-course/60#post_995390"]I guess when I hit the ball on the wrong green on purpose (sort of). I was aiming at that green because I forgot which hole I was playing. Both holes use the same tee box. :doh: The waste was that it landed a couple of feet from the pin. It wouldn't have been so embarrassing but another group was nearby and yelled "great shot" to me. They were too far away to go to the trouble of telling them it was actually the wrong green so I just sort of waved at them, walked out on the green and picked up my ball, took a drop off of the green, and hit my second shot toward the proper hole. When I turned back around I realized that group was still watching me. I can only imagine what they were thinking and saying as I picked up the ball and took a drop. :loco:   [/quote] Sweet. This could be my signature move, only difference is that I would actually aim at the right hole.

I just thought of another one that may have been the dumbest play ever. My first time at Moccasin Bend we came to a par 5 along the river. I hit a decent tee shot in the fairway about 270 and up ahead there was a tree line and a huge ditch full of small trees and brush. Beyond that I could tell there was a green up there but I thought it was a green for another hole.

I could see what I thought was the group in front of us at the end of a bottleneck to the left. Looked like a dogleg left to me for some reason. I hit a really nice fairway wood right up the bottleneck but as soon as I hit it my son said "What in the heck are you doing?"

As soon as he said it I knew. :doh:

I had to go up there (which turned out to be just in front of a tee box). Absolutely the only play from there was to hit another fairway wood back to where I was and start all over again. Worst of all was that a group pulled up to tee off just about the time I got to my ball.

Funny thing is on Google Earth it really doesn't look like a dogleg at all but it sure did to me that day. :loco:

ONE TIME I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COURSE AND I HAD 2 CRAP WITHOUT NO OUTHOUSES NEARBY SO I TOOK A SHIT IN THE SAND TRAP AND BURIED IT AND LUCKILY NO ONE SAID ANYTHING 2 ME AT THE CLUBHOUSE WHEN I FINISHED PLAYING  OMG I WAS SO EMBARASSED

ONE TIME I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COURSE AND I HAD 2 CRAP WITHOUT NO OUTHOUSES NEARBY SO I TOOK A SHIT IN THE SAND TRAP AND BURIED IT AND LUCKILY NO ONE SAID ANYTHING 2 ME AT THE CLUBHOUSE WHEN I FINISHED PLAYING  OMG I WAS SO EMBARASSED

If this is really a true story....

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 1298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!