IGNORED

It was an uncomfortable round last weekend...........

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 3550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have to agree with @BuckeyeNut on this one; when players go out in the morning, they often take the option to play again if it becomes available. Slow play doubly screws those players because it packs the course for the second 18 in addition to spoiling their first. And of course, they pay the most money so it becomes a really poor value for them.

As far as level of play, I don't really judge. If you can keep a decent pace and you want to pay the extra money I don't begrudge you. Most players I meet aren't low handicaps but most know how to navigate the course and be considerate to others. When someone is an outsider we know it based on their pace of play.

I prefer to play in the afternoon because it's always easy to find open holes as a single or pair no matter where the players are. I sometimes have to play guerrilla golf but pay a lot less for the privilege.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tow switch?

It's usually under the seat in electric carts.  Used to tow the carts...  The cart has no power at all when the tow switch is flipped... :no:

What do you mean I can't play through?...  Oh, that sucks, looks like your cart went dead... guys i'm just going to play through while they bring you a new one....    NEVER -

and if you play that joke on your group, don't forget and drive off without flipping it back...

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

That's fine with me....

Groups that can't play in under 4hrs don't belong on the golf course where I play before 8am.........     If your group falls behind, you will likely be steamrolled if followed by regulars.    Please be sure not to play Stone Canyon early..that's for damn sure!

There is a different standard of play for early morning golf.............You need to keep up with the early fast groups, or get off the course..IMO

Rofl, you might be hard pressed to keep up with me even with the difference in our handicaps. I can do 45 holes in 6 1/2 hours and that's even taking time to look for balls while I wait occasionally on people in front of me and stopping to grab refreshments after the first 18. When I did play in foursomes we were also faster players, typically right behind those in front of us. You strike me as the type of person who honks if someone doesn't move within 0.5 seconds when the light turns green because they are holding you up, haha.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• 2 months later...

People complain about the decline of golf then complain about new players holding them up. which way do you want it. only the good experienced players on the course and a continued decline, or showing some patience with the newbies so they stick with it?

People complain about the decline of golf then complain about new players holding them up. which way do you want it. only the good experienced players on the course and a continued decline, or showing some patience with the newbies so they stick with it?

What typically holds up a golf course isn't a new player or someone who hacks it around a bit. Players who are playing slowly do. What I observe is people standing around socializing while someone in their group is putting and line up their putt after that player has finished. Ready golf... it's not just for seasoned players.

;-)

- Shane

Ready golf is the key. I learned this pretty early on and my guys have generally finished in good time regardless of how awful we played.

Most of the time, beginners are problematic when 1) No one experienced is with them and they don't understand the concept of "ready golf", 2) three complete newbies are playing in the same foursome (it's just going to be a lot of strokes regardless) or 3) people refuse to give up the search for a lost golf ball.

What typically holds up a golf course isn't a new player or someone who hacks it around a bit. Players who are playing slowly do. What I observe is people standing around socializing while someone in their group is putting and line up their putt after that player has finished. Ready golf... it's not just for seasoned players.

This is what I've found to be the most true. I've seen beginners who can play the course in a three-hour round just because they don't mess around. They talk when they walk, then hit the ball, then keep walking.

I think the biggest reason that beginners are usually slow is that they don't realize they have to walk to their own ball. They always walk up next to whoever is hitting at the moment to watch them versus going directly to their ball and hitting it when they can. This is especially prevalent around the green. I've gone to putt while I was waiting for a beginner (who was still out) to chip again since they thinned it over the green, and they stopped right next to me while I was going through the routine so they could watch. I do appreciate the gesture of being very still during the swing, but during a casual round pace of play is a larger concern to me.

Ready golf is the key. I learned this pretty early on and my guys have generally finished in good time regardless of how awful we played. Most of the time, beginners are problematic when 1) No one experienced is with them and they don't understand the concept of "ready golf", 2) three complete newbies are playing in the same foursome (it's just going to be a lot of strokes regardless) or 3) people refuse to give up the search for a lost golf ball.

Yep. We had a course here that wouldn't allow women to play before 11 am on Saturdays. You could imagine how well that went over. The course "justified" it based on slow play. So the women said there are men out there early who are slow. Under this pressure, the course then instituted a rule that all players that went out early had to have a time on file. They had to be able to complete a round in 4:15 or they couldn't play early. That allowed faster women to play. I think they finally dropped any conditions because the slow geezers stopped paying their memberships. What can you do?

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I hate slow play and it always seems to happen in the morning. I've seen women who can keep up but definantly a lot who can't. It's not so much about ability but them being aware of what is going on. Played a private course yesterday and were stuck behind a group that played exact order of play, and none if their shots went more than 50 yards. Then on the green they tended the pin for everybody to read and putt then wentto read there own. In the bunkers they took 5 min to rake and they walked slow through the green. I think the best way to combat slow play is to either give these people their own cart or make them walk. Walking is much better for people who aren't very good, dosnt slow anyone down. I like to go out around 5 where I can walk 18 in easily under 3 hours

At 7am, that round took at least 1.5 hours longer than a leisurely round should have. Its inconsiderate and/or ignorant people that are driving people away from this game.

And yes, the course is to blame if they don't aggressively manage pace of play. That's a little tougher with the first groups out, but they need to be told in no uncertain terms that they're setting the pace for the day and that they're expected to be quick, or they lose the privilege of the early time and can play later.

Golf need not be a "long" game. If you want to commune with nature, and take 5+ hours doing so, go fish. At least you won't ruin the day for others.

I wholeheartedly agree!!! I "volunteer" one day a week as a ranger at a local course in exchange for free golf, (all I can play), and the policy is politely but strictly enforced to not allow slow players to hold up other golfers. They will be asked to pick up the pace or let others play through to keep things moving at a decent pace.

God Bless!!! Ray

I wholeheartedly agree!!! I "volunteer" one day a week as a ranger at a local course in exchange for free golf, (all I can play), and the policy is politely but strictly enforced to not allow slow players to hold up other golfers. They will be asked to pick up the pace or let others play through to keep things moving at a decent pace.  God Bless!!! Ray

What do you do if they do not pick up the pace? Can you tell them to pick up and leave the course?

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I do agree that thee is a difference between being patient with a newbie and people not showing good manors on the course. but sometimes ready golf has to be taught, I was lucky that my dad took me out when i was young and had the patience to teach me. there's lots of little things that speed up a round that someone new would never think of even though its considered common sense to some that have been playing a while.

Working at a busy course were used to about 4.5 hour rounds on weekends, but a 5 hour round at 7 AM is pretty dang awful.  Our early bird groups are typically finishing in 3-3.5 hours.

Rofl, you might be hard pressed to keep up with me even with the difference in our handicaps. I can do 45 holes in 6 1/2 hours and that's even taking time to look for balls while I wait occasionally on people in front of me and stopping to grab refreshments after the first 18. When I did play in foursomes we were also faster players, typically right behind those in front of us. You strike me as the type of person who honks if someone doesn't move within 0.5 seconds when the light turns green because they are holding you up, haha.

I don't care if you need 120 strokes to complete a round.................so long as you can maintain pace, it's all good!   Jeremie Boop.......you'd be welcome in my group anytime!!!   My venting was meant towards slow play..............you misunderstood the central point of my rant.

I honestly enjoy playing with beginners too.........I really do.  It's about pace of play.......... that gets under my skin.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

@BuckeyeNut Where did you live in Ohio and what clubs did you join if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry Mr. Spackler....I didn't notice your post until now.  I lived in the Columbus metro area.......Pickerington to be exact.  I see you live in the Dayton area...this is one of the few areas in Ohio I have never played!!   I've played well over 100 Ohio courses. (maybe closer to 150 than 100)

My first private membership was at "The Willows" in Groveport.  I joined because my sister-in-laws 'in-law' had a membership there and he sold me on the benefits of private golf...LOL. This club no longer exists....... It may be a public course now, but I'm not sure because I moved away 15+ years ago.  They had flooding issues, and I only played this course 1yr.

I was however sold on private golf.......I then joined "High Lands GC" in Pataskala. (no flood problems on this high ground!) I had a lot of fun there!!  I was a member for about 4yrs and only quit due to re-locating out of state.  Neither were high-end courses...just fun places to play.  Both were lesser courses compared to where I play now, but we had fun there.

For the past 15yrs since relocating, I have opted to purchase annual passes at various upscale public courses.  I do miss some of the camaraderie from my private golf days, but I enjoy playing the big-tough courses more.   There are only 2 private courses close enough to seriously consider joining now, and neither measure up.     I suppose if one of them did measure up, it would probably cost too much!   For now....the upscale public membership is the best fit....... My golf game gets bloodied up plenty on the course, but I enjoy the challenge.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I got around in 3 hours and 10 minutes today.  It was awesome B-)

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Yesterday was slow, on account of catching up with a group of five on the 13th, who, for whatever reason, just would not let us (a fast playing twosome), through. Guess they couldn't read the big sign in the pro shop and on the back of the scorecard, "No more than four players in each group." There was no ranger on the course at that time, and I'm not minded to remind others about etiquette and rules - I've seen that done and it usually leads to confrontation, or at least a frank exchange of opinion.

Also, one of that group had a serious hook off the tee. Even when the ball had nosedived left into impenetrable foliage, he persisted in driving his cart over to the treeline and poking around with an iron for a bit. This is deepest Georgia - go too far into the woods, and you might find snakes, alligators, and the mountain men from Deliverance . Even a new Pro V1 isn't worth the risk of getting bitten, eaten, or encouraged to make pig-like squealing noises... Besides which, with a hook that bad, he'd have been better off buying some dirt cheap Wilsons from Wallymart, and just accepting the fact that when he hit left into the trees, it was a gonner and time to go three off the tee or take a mulligan (depending on how seriously he was scoring his round).

All very slow and frustrating...

Note: This thread is 3550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!