IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I shot a 49 front and 53 back nine. I am getting close. I can think of so many strokes waisted out there today. Out for 18 more tomorrow at a course I have not played yet

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was always told/taught that you pick it up on "double par". That's NOT double bogey! Double par keeps you moving. Now that I'm tracking my scores, I tend to play em out regardless Par 3...max score = 6 Par 4...max score = 8 Par 5...max score = 10

I usually add one to each of those. Because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Corey

As long as we weren't getting pushed, my lot always picked up on 12. When we were getting pushed, it was a case-by-case basis. During my formative days, we'd usually make a point of playing the dead times, so we rarely would have held anyone up.

While still having a long way to go, pickups hardly ever happen any more. When it does happen, it usually involves at least two balls going OB.

Played my first 18 hole round in quite a while.  Used my Game Golf unit for the first time.  It sure helps point out where I need to improve. (tee shots)

Shot a 106, 105 ESC.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pecos24/round/409430

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

56 front 48 back nine on a course I had never played. I am pretty happy with my progress. Time to work on my chipping and putting... Plus I just got a lob wedge for Father's Day now I just need a gap.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Played my first 18 hole round in quite a while.  Used my Game Golf unit for the first time.  It sure helps point out where I need to improve. (tee shots) Shot a 106, 105 ESC. [URL=http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pecos24/round/409430]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pecos24/round/409430[/URL]

I need to get this game golf... Pretty cool stuff

Today I had 5-6 putts hit the hole and lip out. Then there were the three or four 2-3 footers that I missed. I couldn't buy a par on the back nine. Every time I screwed up, I managed to hit a iron to 5-6 feet only to miss. Played a course that I haven't played in a while and still managed to screw up most of the same holes. It was one of the most frustrating rounds of 90 I have had.

In the end it's all good. Nice day, lost only one ball but found 3 more. Oh well....

Managed a 92 on Sunday. Starting to break 100 more regularly, even a couple of high 80's

Changed my version of par in my head. My par is now bogey. Just a mental change.

Weird how that takes the pressure off.

Big thanks to one of you regulars who mentioned that

Managed a 92 on Sunday. Starting to break 100 more regularly, even a couple of high 80's

Changed my version of par in my head. My par is now bogey. Just a mental change.

Weird how that takes the pressure off.

Big thanks to one of you regulars who mentioned that

It helps to keep you from trying hero shots when you know you have that extra stroke to play with.  On my home course, there are several holes which I expect to par with at least some regularity, and I treat them as such - but on courses I'm not so familiar with, I just try to shoot bogey golf and take any pars or birdies as they may happen to come.  If you can shoot bogey golf and get the occasional par, you're in the 80s.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

• 2 weeks later...

Played a new course last Sunday and shot a 107. My drives were pretty short as I was just trying to keep em straight. But my iron shots were a little longer now that I'm trying to do more body and less arms, so that threw off my distances a bit. I've been practicing putting and it really seemed to pay off. Hit one OB and still kept it to double bogey, which is good for me.

Now if it would just stop raining! I haven't been able to play or hit the range all week, and this weekend isn't looking much better.

Played a new course last Sunday and shot a 107. My drives were pretty short as I was just trying to keep em straight. But my iron shots were a little longer now that I'm trying to do more body and less arms, so that threw off my distances a bit. I've been practicing putting and it really seemed to pay off. Hit one OB and still kept it to double bogey, which is good for me. Now if it would just stop raining! I haven't been able to play or hit the range all week, and this weekend isn't looking much better.

Keep after it, you have your swing video up and will get some great advice there ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

If I were to finish out having a good set of clubs, I think I could break 100 on a good day. I usually play in the 115 range. Saturday, went out to the typical course my cousin and I go to, and it was an aquatic mess. We couldn't play the bunkers (most were AT LEAST half-filled with water). We let each other take free drops on some particularly nasty parts of the course (like where the water-logged course had carts go over to the point of turning it into mud tracks). I was going along quite well, then made a mess of things at the end. 9 on 16 (par-5 I usually have 7-8 on), 8 on 17 (incredibly easy par-4 I can bogey, usually), and 7 on 18 (par-4 with a water hazard that causes me issues). I shot 24 over 3 holes I can get as low as 14 on (typically more like 16-18). I had a 107 overall, could have definitely been close to 100 (best thus far is 105).

The two biggest things I need to do is get more wedges and better "big" clubs. My driver is one I pulled from a dead man's bag. It's got a huge dent on the top, and it's pretty old (about 15 years). It's definitely something I intend to upgrade on, once I start work and getting some spare cash next month. My 3-wood and 5-wood are my first club set, which I got in 2003. I hit them pretty straight, but I'd like to at least give some newer/longer woods a try. And I'm playing with just one wedge (PW, 45 degrees), as I've just been too dumb/lazy/broke college student to pick up complementary wedges. Getting some versatility inside of 100 yards, especially getting something to get out of some of the deeper bunkers, that would save me a couple of strokes per-round, I imagine.

I keep piecing new clubs in Lilfrier and it each additions keep me heading in the right direction. I just got a lob wedge for Father's Day and the more I practice with it the more excited I get about using it on the course.

Ugh, went out today, and had a bad time. Ended up at 111, not too terrible by my standards, but my front was wretched. After a solid 48 (par-34) front last time, I went up to 57 on the front today. I couldn't hit a drive to save my life, and kicked them just about every terrible way you could imagine (including one that shot WAY left and short on a line, hit two trees, then came back to rest about 20 yards from the tees). The worst part is that I got a decent back-9 score of 54 (par-36). I was just a mess today, though. Topped several shots on the whole (mostly my first or second shots), had some really inconsistent putting (one-putted from about 20-25 feet on 17, then 3-putted from about 15 feet on 18).

During our weeknight league (9 holes), my handicap is 14. My scores so far this year are 51, 53, 53, 56, 53, 47, 51, 48. The other night I don't know what the heck happened with me, but I lipped out two par putts and I still shot a 39! It was way awesome. Feels like a dream when I recall it. Then yesterday we had a red, white and blue tournament (6 holes from each tee color). I know it wasn't exactly a straight up match because of the 6 holes from the red, but I shot a 90! Got first place in my flight. Very encouraging this last week.

Saturday was a 47 +57 on  a first time course for me

Sunday a 49 +53 on a course I've played a few times

Still getting those three double par holes.

Damn

Shot a personal best 91 last week

49 on the front which is pretty much playing to my handicap

42 on the back! My previous low for 9 was a 48 so this was crazy.

bogey-bogey-bogey-bogey-bogey-double-par-par-par (par 35)

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Note: This thread is 1349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!