IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Way to go man! That is great!

@Gipper and @bshalcomb thx for the kind words.  I have been playing with the old guys that live in a retirement community.  They are funny guys, they don't play it long, but keep it moving in front of them ... I just followed their lead today.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Gipper and @bshalcomb thx for the kind words.  I have been playing with the old guys that live in a retirement community.  They are funny guys, they don't play it long, but keep it moving in front of them ... I just followed their lead today.

We are just sad man.... You are going to be ditching us for the bogey thread soon... Don't forget us little people!

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

We are just sad man.... You are going to be ditching us for the bogey thread soon... Don't forget us little people!

But, he'll be a part of the Bogey thread. Visit us there, we could use any comments that will help us improve too!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Funny stuff ... there is a 110 just around the corner ... I played everything for bogey, played ball in front a bit to make me move weight/hips forward and through, and kept my head looking at the ball ...

I do feel like I can break 100 every time ... lessons and lots of range are paying off.

Of course the old men (10 yrs older than me lol), had advice during the round ... the best today was (said in a gruff smokers voice) "don't move your head asswipe"  this old man was lucky to finish the round, but he hit everything straight ... I think he finished with an 81.

We have fun and the guys are freaking funny ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Funny stuff ... there is a 110 just around the corner ... I played everything for bogey, played ball in front a bit to make me move weight/hips forward and through, and kept my head looking at the ball ...

I do feel like I can break 100 every time ... lessons and lots of range are paying off.

Of course the old men (10 yrs older than me lol), had advice during the round ... the best today was (said in a gruff smokers voice) "don't move your head asswipe"  this old man was lucky to finish the round, but he hit everything straight ... I think he finished with an 81.

We have fun and the guys are freaking funny ...

Then you can.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Failure again. 108 (54/54) 6 penalty strokes 6 3 putts!!! only 4 fairways hit and 3 GIR with only one of them converted for Par. I hadn't played in about a month so a little rust was expected but it's just so frustrating shanking balls OOB and missing putts that I should be making. Oh well, at least I got a chance to go out.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Failure again. 108 (54/54) 6 penalty strokes 6 3 putts!!! only 4 fairways hit and 3 GIR with only one of them converted for Par. I hadn't played in about a month so a little rust was expected but it's just so frustrating shanking balls OOB and missing putts that I should be making. Oh well, at least I got a chance to go out.

Sorry about that man. Three puts and penalty strokes are frustrating.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

I shot 94 today ... One penalty shot ... I just have slowed down ... The lessons are paying off, along with lots and lots of range time ... Really just watching shot shape and not worrying about distance on the range. The good news is, I still have not moved all of my "range" game to the course, but I find myself thinking that I can hit or be close fairway ...

My best round ever. 96 yesterday (Rating: 69.6, Slope: 120) in a light to slightly more than light rain shower.

46 on front and 50 on back.  3 pars, 8 bogies, 5 doubles, and 2 triples.  I was going very good until I glanced at my score after hole 14.  The bogie on 14 put me +16 with 4 holes to go.  Predictably, I went double, triple, triple (on a par 3) on the next three holes.  Hole 18 was a 2 putt par on a par 5.

71% fairways ... Did not try to crush the driver. Smooth swing and was consistently getting 245 - 260 yards and playable.

2 GIR .. I was near the green a few times.  I couldn't get the distance on my approach shot. My flipping came back and I was launching moon shots everywhere.  Clean contact but distance loss.

1.8 putts per hole, 33 total.  Very good day putting in a while. My chipping was better and giving much shorter putts.

2 penalties.  Into the water on the par 3 17th and 1 OOB.

3rd time breaking 100.  Still looking for that elusive back to back.  The range time is really paying off.  My ball striking was much better. Consistent distance and flipping wrists were issues.  I only recall hitting 2 fat shots.

Off to the range tomorrow.  Trying to get continue with 3 sessions per week.  Worked out well last week.

It's been awhile since I last participated on the forum, but this thread reeled me back in.  I am relatively new to golf, and I am looking to improve.  I shot my personal best of 104 on 6/20.  Shot a 52 on the front, and 52 on the back.  Prior to that, my avg score was probably around 110.

Here are a few of my best practices:

1. count every shot - it doesn't do any good to lie to yourself

2. learn your TRUE distances - most guys that think they hit a driver 250 really don't

3. develop a "go to" shot or club - no matter how bad I'm playing, I can pull out my 7 iron and hit a respectable shot

4. avoid 3 putts - every put is not meant to be made.  Sometimes just getting it close enough for a "free throw" is all you gotta do (see #5)

5. hit your "free throws" - any putt that is 6ft of closer should be viewed as a "free throw".  You MUST hit your free throws!

6. avoid dynamite - those are the blowup holes (8s, 9s, 10s).  This is EASILY my biggest problem.  I have birdied or par'd holes, only to turn around and get a snowman or a "10 piece chicken nugget" on the next hole!  Can't do that!

7. don't rush, but hurry up - you need a pre-shot routine, but no one should confuse you for Keegan Bradley

8. split it up - when I play, I divide the 18 holes into six 3-hole rounds of golf.  This way, if I stink it up for the first 3 holes, I can mentally reset, and attack holes 4-6 with a renewed vigor

9. have fun - I am 35yrs old.  I have competed for all the scholarships that I will ever compete for.  I play golf because it's fun.  Remember to have fun.  I played a round with my dad back in April...shot a 45 on the front 9.  Then I got way too serious, and forgot to have fun.  I shot a 65 on the back 9.

Welp, that's my contribution for now gang.  I plan on checking back and reporting scores as often as I play.  I will also be looking for updates from everyone else on the journey.

One of these days, I'm going to go and get fit for clubs.  I also want to settle on one ball, and just play with it.  It's hard to develop consistency when I tee off with a Bridgestone E6, take an approach shot with a Noodle, and then putt with a ProV1.

(and if you're wondering how I did that, it's because I lost the E6 in the woods on my second shot...then I hit the Noodle in the water...and while looking for my Noodle, I found a ProV1 on the edge of the pond and finished the round out with that ball LOL)

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

I shot 94 today ... One penalty shot ... I just have slowed down ... The lessons are paying off, along with lots and lots of range time ... Really just watching shot shape and not worrying about distance on the range.

The good news is, I still have not moved all of my "range" game to the course, but I find myself thinking that I can hit or be close fairway ...

Good tips. Both tips, slowing down and watching shot shape, are working well for me. Still trying to move more range game to course also.

5. hit your "free throws" - any putt that is 6ft of closer should be viewed as a "free throw".  You MUST hit your free throws!

THIS. You see hackers practicing lag putts. You see good players practicing inside 10 feet. I cant tell you guys how many strokes i've saved by only practicing MAKING putts inside 10 feet. Start at 3 feet, move out a little and putt from all around the hole. Something that also narrows my focus is practicing with 1 ball. Really want to get good? Stick a tee in the green. This is now your hole. Try to have the ball rest against the tee or bounce off of it a couple inches on your putts. Also i cant say it enough, if its inside 5 feet, 90% of the time you need to take dead aim at the hole and just make a good stroke.

My best round ever. 96 yesterday (Rating: 69.6, Slope: 120) in a light to slightly more than light rain shower.   46 on front and 50 on back.  3 pars, 8 bogies, 5 doubles, and 2 triples.  I was going very good until I glanced at my score after hole 14.  The bogie on 14 put me +16 with 4 holes to go.  Predictably, I went double, triple, triple (on a par 3) on the next three holes.  Hole 18 was a 2 putt par on a par 5.   71% fairways ... Did not try to crush the driver. Smooth swing and was consistently getting 245 - 260 yards and playable.  2 GIR .. I was near the green a few times.  I couldn't get the distance on my approach shot. My flipping came back and I was launching moon shots everywhere.  Clean contact but distance loss.   1.8 putts per hole, 33 total.  Very good day putting in a while. My chipping was better and giving much shorter putts.   2 penalties.  Into the water on the par 3 17th and 1 OOB.   3rd time breaking 100.  Still looking for that elusive back to back.  The range time is really paying off.  My ball striking was much better. Consistent distance and flipping wrists were issues.  I only recall hitting 2 fat shots.   Off to the range tomorrow.  Trying to get continue with 3 sessions per week.  Worked out well last week.

Nice round man... Another curse of looking at the scorecard but still a nice final score

It's been awhile since I last participated on the forum, but this thread reeled me back in.  I am relatively new to golf, and I am looking to improve.  I shot my personal best of 104 on 6/20.  Shot a 52 on the front, and 52 on the back.  Prior to that, my avg score was probably around 110. Here are a few of my best practices: 1. count every shot - it doesn't do any good to lie to yourself 2. learn your TRUE distances - most guys that think they hit a driver 250 really don't 3. develop a "go to" shot or club - no matter how bad I'm playing, I can pull out my 7 iron and hit a respectable shot 4. avoid 3 putts - every put is not meant to be made.  Sometimes just getting it close enough for a "free throw" is all you gotta do (see #5) 5. hit your "free throws" - any putt that is 6ft of closer should be viewed as a "free throw".  You MUST hit your free throws! 6. avoid dynamite - those are the blowup holes (8s, 9s, 10s).  This is EASILY my biggest problem.  I have birdied or par'd holes, only to turn around and get a snowman or a "10 piece chicken nugget" on the next hole!  Can't do that! 7. don't rush, but hurry up - you need a pre-shot routine, but no one should confuse you for Keegan Bradley 8. split it up - when I play, I divide the 18 holes into six 3-hole rounds of golf.  This way, if I stink it up for the first 3 holes, I can mentally reset, and attack holes 4-6 with a renewed vigor 9. have fun - I am 35yrs old.  I have competed for all the scholarships that I will ever compete for.  I play golf because it's fun.  Remember to have fun.  I played a round with my dad back in April...shot a 45 on the front 9.  Then I got way too serious, and forgot to have fun.  I shot a 65 on the back 9. Welp, that's my contribution for now gang.  I plan on checking back and reporting scores as often as I play.  I will also be looking for updates from everyone else on the journey. One of these days, I'm going to go and get fit for clubs.  I also want to settle on one ball, and just play with it.  It's hard to develop consistency when I tee off with a Bridgestone E6, take an approach shot with a Noodle, and then putt with a ProV1.  (and if you're wondering how I did that, it's because I lost the E6 in the woods on my second shot...then I hit the Noodle in the water...and while looking for my Noodle, I found a ProV1 on the edge of the pond and finished the round out with that ball LOL)

Welcome back and great advice man! Also, if you get a chance try the Calloway super soft , I have found it to be a nice higher handicap ball. Keep us updated on your progress and keep sharing your advice.

Failure again. 108 (54/54)

6 penalty strokes

6 3 putts!!!

only 4 fairways hit and 3 GIR with only one of them converted for Par.

I hadn't played in about a month so a little rust was expected but it's just so frustrating shanking balls OOB and missing putts that I should be making. Oh well, at least I got a chance to go out.

The penalty shots are what costs the most. If you tee off without your driver you might be able to reduce these. The difference between my son shooting in the 50s and low 40s has been mainly strategy. His swing has always been decent, but one season with the golf team has given him strategy. It has helped him eliminate all penalties. Now, he needs to work on his short game to get into the high 30s / low 40s.

I reduced 3 putts by playing a lot. I don't even practice much on the practice greens anymore. The practice greens are great to develop a reasonable putting stroke. However, my putting really only improved with the pressure of the game. The higher the pressure (i.e., playing for stakes) the better my putting got. In the last four months, I went from about 43 putts to about 33 per round.

Sorry about that man. Three puts and penalty strokes are frustrating.

This has been the main difference between when I was shooting in the 100s in the 90s (I was only in the 90s for about 4 months before I took lessons to improve my ball striking too). Improved ball striking has gotten me to my current skill level shooting roughly mid/high 80s.

I shot 94 today ... One penalty shot ... I just have slowed down ... The lessons are paying off, along with lots and lots of range time ... Really just watching shot shape and not worrying about distance on the range.

The good news is, I still have not moved all of my "range" game to the course, but I find myself thinking that I can hit or be close fairway ...

Good that you are getting consistently in the 90s. Keep up the good work. Don't forget to start posting in the bogey golfer thread. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The penalty shots are what costs the most. If you tee off without your driver you might be able to reduce these. The difference between my son shooting in the 50s and low 40s has been mainly strategy. His swing has always been decent, but one season with the golf team has given him strategy. It has helped him eliminate all penalties. Now, he needs to work on his short game to get into the high 30s / low

Thanks for the advice and I try to limit when I pull driver and generally it helps, but the funny thing is in this round I lost balls from a fairway shank, as well as hitting into a pond when I was trying to lay up with a hybrid. I agree with your advice as far as club selection but what made this round particularly frustrating was that I felt like I did make wise decision. Execution was just poor due to lack of playing/practice this past month (new son!)

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Thanks for the advice and I try to limit when I pull driver and generally it helps, but the funny thing is in this round I lost balls from a fairway shank, as well as hitting into a pond when I was trying to lay up with a hybrid. I agree with your advice as far as club selection but what made this round particularly frustrating was that I felt like I did make wise decision. Execution was just poor due to lack of playing/practice this past month (new son!)

There are two aspects that can be affected by the tee shot, one is the tee shot itself, the other more important one is where you end up.

If you shoot for bogey on a par 4, it might mean hitting even a 9i to get around some trouble. You need to use a bulletproof club to get yourself in a good position away from trouble and/or out yourself in a position to hit the green on the following shot.

Also, congratulations on your new son!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!