IGNORED

Coming to grips with the realization that my natural swing is now a fade and not a draw.

Todd Ruggere
Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My name is Todd, I am 39 years old, and I play a fade!

For the last 20 years I've had a beautiful looking 5-10 yard natural draw. I loved just swinging without thinking and seeing a nice ball flight. I've maintained a 3-6 handicap for almost all of those 20 years.

Over the past 2 years my draw has turned into a fade. Like a dummy, I refused to accept the fact that I don't have a draw anymore. I would still line up to the right sides of fairways and greens. Sometimes I'd get a nice draw, but my game has struggled with slices, duck hooks, shanks, blocks  and just about every bad thing you can think of.

I think part of my reason for not playing a natural fade is because I am not used to it at all, and i didn't want let go of not having a natural draw. I decided this year to play my fade, and so far I've been hitting the ball good. It's nice to know you can count on having the ball move left to right. The misses aren't as bad, and it's easier to control. I am already starting to like it better!

I'm not sure if I've had my natural shot shape change on me or if it's just a temporary change, but I'm doing the same thing you were. I still line up for my draw out of habit and I'm hesitant to change it until it seems like it's become more of a permanent change.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the same issue, different direction though. My normal shot used to be a fade and my misses were almost always a very weak slice. I started taking lessons earlier this year and now my ball flight is right-to-left. Still struggling to adjust to this on the course since I was so used to having to aim slightly left. On the plus side, I now know what the trees on the LEFT side of the holes look like...HAHA!

My natural shape shot is a draw now. Yea, if you know your shots will curve the same way 99% of the time, then you can take a lot of trouble out of the way.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Not to get to far off topic, but that seems to be what's killing me the most these days, not knowing which shot is going to show up on the course. I love the new swing I've been working on but it's far from being my natural swing yet so there are times I end up reverting to old swing habbits (especially late in the rounds when fatigue and lack of focus sets in) and then anything goes. A lot of times, I'll start the round with one shot shape then by the end of the round the ball is doing something completely different (again, most likely due fatigue and old habits creeping in).

I'm a hooker.

TMI :whistle:

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

My natural shape shot is a draw now. Yea, if you know your shots will curve the same way 99% of the time, then you can take a lot of trouble out of the way.

Not to get to far off topic, but that seems to be what's killing me the most these days, not knowing which shot is going to show up on the course. I love the new swing I've been working on but it's far from being my natural swing yet so there are times I end up reverting to old swing habbits (especially late in the rounds when fatigue and lack of focus sets in) and then anything goes. A lot of times, I'll start the round with one shot shape then by the end of the round the ball is doing something completely different (again, most likely due fatigue and old habits creeping in).

Well if you start one way consistently then try to adjust for it. For me, if I don't warm up, my first drive is 99% of the time a slight pull fade. It might take me a few holes to get loose and hit draws. Just something I always play for.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Maybe it's your body changing as you age.

I've been a drawer and a hooker all my life and I refuse to change. :whistle:

Fades are for sissies.

Just kidd'n. :-P

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Thanks, I find that I usually start my rounds with a bit of a hook now, then by the middle of the round it seems to straigten out with maybe a slight draw. Towards the end, my swing tends to get very vertical with a lot of arms and not much body/shoulder turn and that's when I start noticing the fade/slice come back, particularly with my woods and longer irons. I'm a little older than the OP (46 to be exact) and I notice this a lot more on the days I don't get properly warmed up before hand.

You might consider seeing a physical therapist, your insurance might pay for it, and they can do a lot to increase your flexibility and diagnose where your strength may be "fading". Or try yoga. 39 is just too young to accept body changes without a fight. If I woke up tomorrow 39 again, I would jog to the nearest gym, and sign up for yoga. Don't wait until you are hitting from the gold tees to make changes.

Or if you are working out a lot, you might consider  what your routines are doing.

I know next to nothing about golf, but I have learned way too much about getting old.

Note: This thread is 3584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!