IGNORED

2014 Quicken Loans National Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rickie Fowler wearing plus-fours at the US Open: [IMG]http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131018195503/disneycreate/images/5/53/Not_bad.jpeg[/IMG] Freddie Jacobson wearing plus-fours at Congressional: [IMG]http://mylolface.com/assets/faces/angry-no.jpg[/IMG] That's not becoming a fashion trend.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Noh shoots 66. Reed, Jacobson, and Rose in a rock fight. Good stuff!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is the problem  You vastly overstate the point, setting up a straw dog you can argue against.  You complain about the attention he gets when, demonstrably, people given a choice STILL flock to watch him.  Even if he plays badly.  You act as if he gets all of this attention from the fans and, therefore, from the media, from mere happenstance. .............. Reality is a stubborn thing.  You can ignore it, but there it still is.

Rich, I fear I've upset you. For the record I am not a Tiger detractor, never have been and never will be. I like it when he plays well and root for him now and then (much to the dismay of my Father who is very much a "detractor"). No, I don't get those that literally say they turn off the set when he isn't playing, maybe I'm one of those few "hard core" golf fans you mentioned. I still think you vastly overestimate his 'worth' to the game in countries other than the US. I've lived in the US (North Carolina, Florida and DC) and know how much he means to many there. I've also lived and worked all over the world and know how much he means to the rest of the planet. Quite a lot is the answer, but the global game is not set to implode if he leaves. Who means more to the game and to youngsters in Northern Ireland, Rory or Tiger? If you say Tiger you are wrong.

Role models - I hope I'm a pretty good one to my kids, spent almost all my adult life serving my country, 'lucky' enough to be in 3 conflicts so far (Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan, all working with your guys actually), provided a halfway decent home with my wife who's a teacher and teaches the local Sunday School. No one's perfect but we do our best. I'm not blaming Tiger for their behaviour (it's not bad for a start), I'm really not sure where you got that one from. I'm merely saying that if you think kids who are already showing a bit of flare for sport (particularly our youngest) don't and won't use sporting heroes as 'role models' I personally think you're mistaken. I DO think it's important how sporting professionals behave, I think it's important for this very reason. I almost think they have a duty to act in a certain way. Bit strong perhaps but I think they do.

I didn't blame Tiger for the Buffoons that yell out after each shot, I said it was an example of something else the sport didn't need, a bit like bad language or 'tantrums' after a bad shot. I haven't criticised Tiger's personal life, could have done it's fairly open to criticism but I haven't ( he went a long way towards getting some respect back when he stood up in front of the world and said how much he had screwed up and how sorry he was. "Detractors" such as my Dad would say not but I disagree.) I haven't criticised his play overly other than to say that when, like almost any professional out there, he tried to 'spin' it to a positive he was grasping a tad. He was, he really was.

Lastly, Do I really and truly care about the coverage of Tiger? Not in the slightest, I was making a point about how golf can sometimes get lost in the hype surrounding the guy. As Zeph said, now he's not in the tournament everyone will probably switch off. Shame, my 'tip' from earlier was Rose and he's doing pretty well for himself and playing some great golf - 3 under and not yet at the turn. Earlier on I was hitting wedges down the 7th at Pebble with one of my boys on the new golf sim I've just installed, just off for a quick blast in the Ferrari that I saved very hard to be able buy but that's a hoot and next week continuing on my quest to see if I can turn Pro (play golf full time now). Maybe you're right, maybe I care deeply but you know what? I'll get over it :)

And iacas I'm not calling you a 'Tiger fan' rather than a 'golf fan'. If you said you switched off the second he wasn't on I might suggest that was the case but you don't..... so I didn't........ hope that's clear. (and the work you do on this site is awesome, I'm just hoping lively yet polite debate is allowed. Not sure it is, was just kinda hoping......... :) )

Pete Iveson

• Administrator

And iacas I'm not calling you a 'Tiger fan' rather than a 'golf fan'. If you said you switched off the second he wasn't on I might suggest that was the case but you don't..... so I didn't........ hope that's clear. (and the work you do on this site is awesome, I'm just hoping lively yet polite debate is allowed. Not sure it is, was just kinda hoping......... :) )

I likely won't watch any of the Quicken Loans now that Tiger's missed the cut. I won't even bother to record it.

I'm just hoping lively yet polite debate is allowed. Not sure it is, was just kinda hoping......... :)

What has happened that you think that might not be the case? Because nothing has happened except people have disagreed with you. Which is "lively yet polite debate."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My antenna went wonky for a couple of seconds there... [video]http://youtu.be/lZ7zTH-Pcz4 [/video]

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Nice camera angles Peter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nice camera angles Peter.

That's what I thought. Pre surgery looks from the right. Post a little less from right?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Wait... Tiger isn't playing, but Patrick Reed is. Is that not good enough for everyone?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I likely won't watch any of the Quicken Loans now that Tiger's missed the cut. I won't even bother to record it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

I'm just hoping lively yet polite debate is allowed. Not sure it is, was just kinda hoping......... :)

What has happened that you think that might not be the case? Because nothing has happened except people have disagreed with you. Which is "lively yet polite debate."

Rose has slipped back so kiss of death there (just thought I'd update you as you're no longer watching :) )

And with regard to the second, nothing really but if you read Rich's posts you'd have thought I'd been laying into Tiger, his background, his personality, his personal life, his fans ......... I haven't, I just said some of the hype surrounding Tiger is 'unhelpful' to golf which is, after all, a global sport. Others think it and he are the only thing keeping the sport alive. I've only lived in the States for a few years but trust me when I tell you that globally it'll make very little difference to the sport when Tiger retires. It'll make some but nothing like what has been 'touted' on here.

And I guess I found it 'interesting' to be lectured several times on how to be a role model for my kids from someone who knows nothing about me. Maybe Rich and I can swap stories about sitting in bunkers under mortar attack in Iraq or operating with US SF in the Afghanistan campaign....... but I kind of doubt it. It irritated me a little, that's all :)

And now I'm really done. I merely questioned the hype that causes one golfer to be watched in the US (regardless of how he's playing) more than your National Open if he's not. I find it a tad strange. I'm not "criticising" I just simply don't get it. I asked "Why?" at the beginning but no one has given an answer or anything approaching one. All the best. Nos

Pete Iveson

7 par-4's over 460 yds. That's just wrong......!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

7 par-4's over 460 yds. That's just wrong......!

Nice to see pros struggle with a bad drive. Heh heh. :-)

Steve

Brendon de jonge needs to get a copy of LSW. On 17 he got greedy and went for the flag instead of the center of the green. Well he missed the green and made bogey.

Lol! I don't like him because he's fat and he's got short arms...

hey hey im definitely on the plump side.

hey hey im definitely on the plump side.

He's just a douche. Fat golfers are great. I affectionately call any fat golfer fatass before their name. So Brendon De Jonge is known as Fatass Brendon De Jonge.

Riley

He's just a douche. Fat golfers are great. I affectionately call any fat golfer fatass before their name. So Brendon De Jonge is known as Fatass Brendon De Jonge.

Ha that's awesome im going to do that to my buddy Jaws.

Note: This thread is 3590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!