IGNORED

My Swing (phillyk)

phillyk

53 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

You do not know how good he is at making your swing better-Not before you choose to spend $100 or whatever. Looks are important and everyone judges other people by how things look.

Maybe I am in the minority here, but if I were taking lessons in person, I wouldn't ask to see the instructors swing before deciding if I wanted to take lessons from him. 

I certainly agree that looks are important and everyone gets judged on looks, but are that many people really asking to see their golf instructor's swing before they choose to sign up for lessons?

I have a great coach on Evolvr who has made me a much better golfer over the past few months and I have no idea what that person's swing looks like.

I'll stop commenting on this now, but @phillyk if you do decide to start giving lessons, good luck and I wish you the best!

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, klineka said:

.I'll stop commenting on this now, but @phillyk if you do decide to start giving lessons, good luck and I wish you the best!

I already give lessons and have had a lot of success. The tough part now is getting more people. Most see me as an assistant professional and assume I don’t teach as well because of that title. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

44 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Haha, I know I have a weird looking swing, but it gets the job done.  I do not have plans to make it normal looking.

The demonstrations I have done are generic drills that apply to anyone, which means any type of swing.  Most of the drills I have students do, are to create certain feels of movement in their own swing, not mine.  It's their results that matter.  If they want me to do more demonstrations, maybe I'll swing lefty instead ;-)

For comparisons, I'll use their favorite PGA Tour player or someone like that in slo-mo.  But, it's certain moves I point out, not an entire swing, because everyone swings slightly different and I don't want the student to try something I don't intend.

I do get what you are saying, but I don't think it matters as much as you think.  My old instructor swings cross handed (left hand low) and he's one of the more popular instructors in the area, and he very rarely demonstrates things himself.  He has videos and tools for everything and can relay the information well.

I think McGleno is only suggesting that you learn to do a demonstrable swing for your students or prospective students. Not sure how much work that would entail, but he seemed to think it's not that much effort for someone with your natural ability.

My instructor has a really good swing, and is also the longest hitter at my course with a picture perfect swing. He's on the largish side, but he hits very far with a nice looking swing. He's almost constantly demonstrating his swing to us at the clinics, and during any lessons.

2 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I already give lessons and have had a lot of success. The tough part now is getting more people. Most see me as an assistant professional and assume I don’t teach as well because of that title. 

The same instructor is also an "assistant instructor", but really knows his stuff as I'm sure you do.

His students are very comfortable with him. He's quickly getting a lot of students in the few months he's been at my course. Very opinionated, but about the right stuff. He teaches in a very direct manner, and when he needs to show exact positions he does it with ease.

Honestly, I don't think he cares about his title, he teaches as well as he can no matter what. I think he'd like to be paid more for the clinics, but that doesn't change the way he teaches.

17 minutes ago, klineka said:

Maybe I am in the minority here, but if I were taking lessons in person, I wouldn't ask to see the instructors swing before deciding if I wanted to take lessons from him. 

I certainly agree that looks are important and everyone gets judged on looks, but are that many people really asking to see their golf instructor's swing before they choose to sign up for lessons?

I have a great coach on Evolvr who has made me a much better golfer over the past few months and I have no idea what that person's swing looks like.

I'll stop commenting on this now, but @phillyk if you do decide to start giving lessons, good luck and I wish you the best!

Phil McGleno is kind of scrooge-like person, but in this case I completely agree with him. @phillyk's students would appreciate a better swing for demonstration purposes, even if it's not his "playing" swing.

The marketability factor of a nice swing is kind of like why the two instructors Andy and Pierce at MeandMyGolf are so popular. Their swings are really nice to watch. Not so sure about their upright postures, but they look great making their swings.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
1 hour ago, phillyk said:

Haha, I know I have a weird looking swing, but it gets the job done.  I do not have plans to make it normal looking.

Yeah… I'd reconsider that.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Yeah, it's not really about that, though. It's a roadblock as Phil (not philly) said. Why create reasons for students not to want to take lessons from you?

Appearances, looks, perceptions matter.

• If you're an instructor who can't break 80, you'll get fewer lessons.
  • If you're an instructor who dresses like a slob, you'll get fewer lessons.
  • If you're an instructor with an "atypical" swing, you'll get fewer lessons.
  • If you're an instructor who doesn't do what he preaches, you'll get fewer lessons.
  • If you're an instructor who can't demonstrate things well, you'll give worse lessons.

Only one of those goes beyond a (mis?)-perception, but they're all true. I'd work on your swing, @phillyk. It's better than it used to be, and I agree with @Phil McGleno that it probably wouldn't be too difficult for you to make it look pretty "normal," and I think it's important.

@Lihu, I comment occasionally when you make a weird or bad post, so it's fair to point out that I thought that the above was a pretty good post.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I think McGleno is only suggesting that you learn to do a demonstrable swing for your students or prospective students. Not sure how much work that would entail, but he seemed to think it's not that much effort for someone with your natural ability.

I demonstrate a certain drill or portion of a swing.  I don't normally demonstrate a full swing to people, unless it's a routine thing, IDK.

31 minutes ago, Lihu said:

My instructor has a really good swing, and is also the longest hitter at my course with a picture perfect swing. He's on the largish side, but he hits very far with a nice looking swing. He's almost constantly demonstrating his swing to us at the clinics, and during any lessons.

I have a different swing and hit enough fairways with 120mph club head speed.  What's your point?

Honestly, it's nice to see people with different swings perform well, because it proves the point that you don't need a picture perfect swing to play golf well.  You just need to perform certain check points.

37 minutes ago, Lihu said:

The same instructor is also an "assistant instructor", but really knows his stuff as I'm sure you do.

I'm 3rd in line at the course as far as instruction goes. So when someone new comes in for lessons, I'm typically the last person this golfer will look into.  That's all I'm saying with the whole title thing.

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

Only one of those goes beyond a (mis?)-perception, but they're all true. I'd work on your swing, @phillyk. It's better than it used to be, and I agree with @Phil McGleno that it probably wouldn't be too difficult for you to make it look pretty "normal," and I think it's important.

Why would the look matter when the outcome is the same as those with normal-looking swings?  The outcome is what's most important.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Why would the look matter when the outcome is the same as those with normal-looking swings?  The outcome is what's most important.

The outcome is what's most important when you're playing golf. No disagreement there.

@Phil McGleno wasn't talking about playing golf.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
25 minutes ago, iacas said:

The outcome is what's most important when you're playing golf. No disagreement there.

@Phil McGleno wasn't talking about playing golf.

If all he is trying to say is, given equal playing abilities, that having a good-looking swing will bring in more students than a bad looking swing,then I get it and can agree. It’s unfortunate, but it makes sense. 

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Phil, did you ever think it's possible you play well despite your swing?  Most people could not play well with a swing like yours. I think you probably have very above average coordination. 

• Like 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Finally got out again yesterday after our snow storm last weekend.  Shot a no 6, 73 with 3 bogies and 2 birdies.  It was a blah round.  Off the tee was fine, I just couldn't put my approaches as close as I'd like.  Just need to keep playing/practicing and taking each round seriously.  The minute I lose concentration on a shot is the shot that goes way off.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

I managed to go out today and play.  We had sustained winds of 16-18mph with some higher gusts.  Not sure why I wanted to play in that, but it wasn't raining so there's that.  Despite the wind and not having played or hit the range in a week, I hit the ball well and mostly consistent.  Because of the wind and being chilly, I played the whites which is short but the course is plug-city too.  I was -5 going into 17, but for some reason, I lost focus and doubled the par 3.  I finished with par to shoot a 69 (no 6 round again).  Disappointing finish, but happy with shooting a low score in those conditions.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator

You cheat your flip by leaning forward so far at A4. So what are you doing to work on your swing?

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

You cheat your flip by leaning forward so far at A4. So what are you doing to work on your swing?

I don't have an answer, really.  Thinking about it, all I can say is that I'm working on tempo and remembering those swing thoughts I have.

I don't have a good way to fight the flip.  What I've done is think about the heel of the club at impact going out instead of the toe turning around.  Also to offset the flip, I like to watch slightly ahead of the ball.

Yeah, I suppose I get that flippy-hook once or twice a round, but I usually play the draw enough that it doesn't hurt me too much.  Otherwise, the full swing has been really consistent.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Well I guess the next step is to get my hips more open by impact. Last time I measured it, they were like 12* open when there supposed to be 25* I think. That would help reduce the flip. I did some work on it last winter, so I know how to approach it. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator

That’s not what I meant by your flip. That’s not the way I’d go, either, but I only have the NC videos and your video in this topic that’s months old.

I think it’s going to be difficult to work the hips better given your A4.

Good luck. Post updates.

I’ll work on getting some good videos up. And I’ll try to get a video of the drill I’ll do. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 1 month later...

Recent scores have been pretty decent, but have potential to be much better if I could learn to putt.  I've missed a 3ft, several 5ishft, and plenty 5-10ft birdie putts in the last few rounds.  Par putts, for some reason, I've done better with.  More confidence/urgency i guess?  

Saturday, I played a skins game, shot even with 3 birdies.  Didn't win any skins.  I hit 13 or 14 greens, I think.  Yesterday I played in a little assistant golf pro event and shot +1 and had about the same number of greens hit.  The greens Monday were trickier.  But both days and I had both problems of speed and read.  Some putts would be dead center of cup, but 3in short.  Other putts I had the speed right but just high/low of the cup.  I'm 75% sure I'm hitting the lines I want, but that is something I'll look into.  But it also could just be winter golf in the PNW, because a lot of these poa greens get spongy and bump around a little.  Not a lot of courses will mow/roll very often.  I definitely will work on putting more though.

Driver has been spot on lately, mid irons through wedges are good.  Chipping/pitching is a lot better.  Long irons need some work.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

phillyk_TST.9_iron.power_jpf.thumb.jpg.abede6a4c53e0ebd4c1a0368c0138fda.jpg

You really go after a 9 iron !   I read someone called it "The Gentle Club".  You seem to disagree !

A very unique swing.  Do you hit your Driver a mile ? 

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

Driver has been spot on lately

Upload some Driver Swings ! 

(edited)
6 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

You really go after a 9 iron !   I read someone called it "The Gentle Club".  You seem to disagree !

A very unique swing.  Do you hit your Driver a mile ? 

Upload some Driver Swings ! 

It's funny, I have more than enough time to get videos, I just never think about it when I'm on the course.  I'll try hard this week, if it's not raining.

My swing speed is 120mph with the driver. I know it doesn't look like it, but it's rare that I'm trying to swing "hard."  I'm just swing what feels to be smooth and non-jerky.

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA