IGNORED

How do I prevent an occasional thin scull with 8-PW?

CarlOwen
Note: This thread is 3501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
That's pretty much similar to what I do. I was recently told to have the ball middle or forward of middle for every shot.

Except the specialty shots, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

wow, you have all given me a lot to think about!

As for distance, it was remarked upon the distance for a 9 iron at 115 sounded geriatric. But as I said earlier, when I hit the ball on a solid pick, I get ALOT of height- much more than my playing partners, so as a result the ball usually ends up very close to the divot (within 3 feet most times) So as some have pointed out, I am unintentionally lofting the club, but strangely it backfires a few times a round and turns into a line drive bullet.

I think I'll see my teaching Pro and have him tell me what he thinks it is.

TaylorMade RBZ 3-PW

Titleist wedges 

TaylorMade  woods driver

I mean to say the ball on the green ends up within 3 feet of where the ball the ball lands. (the divot on the green)

TaylorMade RBZ 3-PW

Titleist wedges 

TaylorMade  woods driver

Quote:
But as I said earlier, when I hit the ball on a solid pick, I get ALOT of height- much more than my playing partners, so as a result the ball usually ends up very close to the divot (within 3 feet most times)

Hitting it very high with a lack of distance is a characteristic of flipping in a swing.  Your impact condition is adding loft.

I was always a little flippy myself, especially with short irons, and I hit the ball higher than any of my playing partners, but I also hit irons farther than my playing partners.

So evidently some flipping doesn't necessarily create short shots.

This year so far I'm flipping less, and have more of a divot, but my ball direction is leaving a lot to be desired.

Always something. ;-)

I was always a little flippy myself, especially with short irons, and I hit the ball higher than any of my playing partners, but I also hit irons farther than my playing partners.

So evidently some flipping doesn't necessarily create short shots.

They may not be short relative to your partners' shots, but you aren't using your power to its fullest potential.

-Rich

I've never heard of flipping, and not sure I've ever done it. The issue at hand is nearly all my approach shots are fine, whereas a few per round wind up like line drive bullets. As I said, I tend to pick the ball, so perhaps that means I'm hitting on the upswing? Or maybe it means I just have a tendency to just brush the grass at the bottom of my arc?

My ball trajectory on a good clean pick is very high and soft, I usually repair the divot no more than a few feet from where the ball lies.

Could it be that I have little room for error if I am in fact hitting it thin, albeit with good results to begin with?

With what you're describing ("picking the ball") and your handicap, there is very good chance you're flipping. Lining up the shaft with the lead arm prematurely can lead to thin and fat shots.

Is there a simple trick to get a little more down without getting fat? That would seem to solve the problem.

Check out the posts from @saevel25 and @MEfree

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Might take a look at the 5 simple keys video's. Focus on keys #1 , #2 and #3. Those will eliminate what your experiencing.

here's a link   http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php

Check out the posts from @saevel25 and @MEfree

And the post from @Hammer 4 ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't have anything to add, but I would also encourage you to post a My Swing video. This group will be very helpful and supportive. You won't regret it.

- Shane

I really don't think there is a secret or some easy tip that will do it for you.  I think it will take hard work.  Identifying the priority piece and working on it.

Most amateurs (not directing this at you OP) would benefit from being more realistic about how good their swing is.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I really don't think there is a secret or some easy tip that will do it for you.  I think it will take hard work.  Identifying the priority piece and working on it.

Most amateurs (not directing this at you OP) would benefit from being more realistic about how good their swing is.

I think the problem with most of us is that people say our swing looks good because it's hard to see bad things happening at full speed. That's where the recording comes in handy because you slow it down and suddenly it's much easier to see the problems.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

I think the problem with most of us is that people say our swing looks good because it's hard to see bad things happening at full speed. That's where the recording comes in handy because you slow it down and suddenly it's much easier to see the problems.

I agree with this.  To my eye, my swing looks a lot better at full speed.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Thanks again for the comments. I have a session with our teaching pro on Friday. I'll report then.

TaylorMade RBZ 3-PW

Titleist wedges 

TaylorMade  woods driver

I play my 8i-GW different than my long irons. Currently I m having an hooking problem. Sculling does happen but not as much. I know that if my right hand grip is too weak and I feel an open face there's a chance of sculling. I tend to grip so that the clubface feels closed or completely shut with my right hand (strong?). The more shut my club face the more I tend to have deeper divots

There is always something new to learn. I was hitting my 60 sand wedge out in the yard and it flies about 30 yards, but as high as the tree tops. I thought that was how they were supposed to work :doh: Oh well, still handy for getting up the occasional steep climb to the green.

There is always something new to learn. I was hitting my 60 sand wedge out in the yard and it flies about 30 yards, but as high as the tree tops. I thought that was how they were supposed to work  Oh well, still handy for getting up the occasional steep climb to the green.

Your 60 should go a bit further than 30 yds. I'm a old man of 66 with a bad back, and my 60 on a normal shot goes 75 to 80 yds. without any help from the wind. As I suggested to the OP, you may want to work on the same keys, that should get you more distance fairly easy.

Might take a look at the 5 simple keys video's. Focus on keys #1 , #2 and #3. Those will eliminate what your experiencing.

here's a link http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php

• 2 weeks later...

well, it seems the problem is solved.

placing the ball more in the center of my stance (as opposed to off the left heel) and making the effort to shift my weight as I strike the ball (almost like falling into the strike)as opposed to shifting my weight through the shot has been very helpful. I never realized how much I was swinging with my arms and not my body. Apparently my weight transfer was just too late after the strike.

Believe or not,  the mental image of driving a wedge underneath a door seems to help.

Here is a the result of two successive 205 yd 4 iron shots into a par 3. In the past, I would have hit this only moderately high and the ball would have skipped at least 10 yds past the divot. These balls backed up about 2 feet from the divot. This was fairly representative of the day. I shot an 83 and nearly made an eagle on a par 4.

For the first time ever, I'm getting ball compression and taking divots. I'm still picking the ball most of the time but definitely not hitting it real thin. Still not sure about the whole "flipping" thing everyone seemed to think I was doing, but whatever the case, it's working

TaylorMade RBZ 3-PW

Titleist wedges 

TaylorMade  woods driver

Note: This thread is 3501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!