IGNORED

Scotty Cameron... Should I?

Note: This thread is 3544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are so many putter styles - I swear I have one in practically EVERY style made. I change them from time to time depending on what is working (or more importantly NOT working) at the time. I have no distinct preference, so I would never spend the $$ on a Scotty until I really dial in on what putter style I prefer... OP really needs to know what style he likes, and if there's no doubt, then pony up.    just my $.02

This is absolutely what I do. I rotate both my Scotty Cameron putters and this method works perfectly for me. The psychology of it always has me believing I'm using a hot putter

Lol! Haven't you caused enough problems with this Scotty Cameron mumbo jumbo! Stick with your PING already! I'm definitely getting comic relief from this site!

Lol..... Yeah I'm the one that caused the problems. :-P

I'm kidding of course.. Glad you are liking your PING again, but maybe try my rotation method one day. It honestly works perfect for me through the years and I've never needed more than two in the rotation. Also, don't be surprised if one day you break down and get a Cameron Design.. there's truly a reason why they are such a hot topic... Good luck

I'm kidding of course..

Glad you are liking your PING again, but maybe try my rotation method one day. It honestly works perfect for me through the years and I've never needed more than two in the rotation.

Also, don't be surprised if one day you break down and get a Cameron Design.. there's truly a reason why they are such a hot topic...

Good luck

Didn't take long for you to come full circle did it? You're back to your ill-informed nonsense after pretending for a week that you weren't a sheep.

The reason is marketing.

Please give me one reason why an OTR SC putter is any better than one of dozens of CNC machined putters.

Have you noticed how on tour the BS is wearing off and players are using putters that work for them rather than just grabbing a free "For Tour Use Only" emblazoned putter every other week?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You've got some serious issues my friend...

No I haven't.

Adults who are excited by shaft bands, paint fills and "stampings" have.

You are making claims that are totally without foundation.

Still waiting for your justification in saying they are special. I'll keep doing so.

He copies others' designs. Wow.

Everyone copied the original Ping Anser putter but let's not pretend that SC hasn't innovated new putter designs.  SC putters have offered unique head designs and replacement weights for many years.  SC was one of the first to offer a counter balanced putter (Adam Scott,  Futura X) with adjustable weights and now we're seeing Odyssey offer it with their Tank Cruiser and I'm sure others won't be far behind.

Is SC the best in the industry or the putter equivalent to Pro V's?  No, but they are one of the top putters on tour and seem to be one of the leaders in innovation these days.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is SC the best in the industry or the putter equivalent to Pro V's?  No, but they are one of the top putters on tour and seem to be one of the leaders in innovation these days.

I have no issue with SC copying Ping or TaylorMade putter designs . That's fine - they all do it.

My problem is as follows:

Newcomers to the game come on to websites and immediately see threads dominated by brand fetishists and because of their lack of experience, believe things that aren't true.

Disclaimer: Yes - they should do their due diligence. But....

It follows from threads form people with a driver from 2009 (which may have been instrumental in winning 5 majors) where they wonder if their "old technology" is holding them back.

For people to say that SC putters rate as "the best" or have "something special" is false. On this site, people talk about the "quality" or "finish" which is identical to so many other brands, but think that it sets them apart. It can be easily proven as untrue.

The other thing I find irksome is the man himself - calling his factory a "studio", and the ridiculous "authentication" service, which is a cynical marketing ploy to imply rarity and value to a very common, mass-produced item.

Putt with whatever you like  - as you will, why wouldn't you - but lets not have brand sycophants tooting falsehoods.

If someone can tell me why an SC putter is better than Odyssey Black series putters, Piretti, Edel, Byron, etc etc. I'll proclaim them as special. But it won't - and can't happen.

And.....I resent being told I have "issues" by someone who scoffs at the idea that SC putters are not the standard by which others are judged.

• Upvote 3

I have no issue with SC copying Ping or TaylorMade putter designs . That's fine - they all do it.

My problem is as follows:

Newcomers to the game come on to websites and immediately see threads dominated by brand fetishists and because of their lack of experience, believe things that aren't true.

Disclaimer: Yes - they should do their due diligence. But....

It follows from threads form people with a driver from 2009 (which may have been instrumental in winning 5 majors) where they wonder if their "old technology" is holding them back.

For people to say that SC putters rate as "the best" or have "something special" is false. On this site, people talk about the "quality" or "finish" which is identical to so many other brands, but think that it sets them apart. It can be easily proven as untrue.

The other thing I find irksome is the man himself - calling his factory a "studio", and the ridiculous "authentication" service, which is a cynical marketing ploy to imply rarity and value to a very common, mass-produced item.

Putt with whatever you like  - as you will, why wouldn't you - but lets not have brand sycophants tooting falsehoods.

If someone can tell me why an SC putter is better than Odyssey Black series putters, Piretti, Edel, Byron, etc etc. I'll proclaim them as special. But it won't - and can't happen.

And.....I resent being told I have "issues" by a twit who scoffs at the idea that SC putters are not the standard by which others are judged.

I don't disagree, SC isn't the best putter manufacturer nor is their quality any better than milled putters of the same quality steel from other manufacturers.  I think SC is a master of marketing, has maintained their value by limiting discounts and avoiding the cheaper market segment of the industry.  They also have a great understanding of the laws of supply and demand.   Seems everything SC puts out is "limited production" and thought to be "collectible" in some fashion.

Odyssey, Ping, TM, Nike and many of the major brands offer lower cost products of lower quality so their higher end products (which are quite good) are thought to be of lower quality because the brand is not exclusive to the high end market.  SC, Bettinardi, Edel, Miura, Giannini stay at or above the $300 USD price point which gives them their boutique / studio mystique.

Joe Paradiso

You've got some serious issues my friend...

I agree.  Well, actually, I wouldn't go so far as to say issues, but only issue.  As in, just one.  And that issue is bullshit.  Whether it be somebody spewing nonsense about the superiority of the buttery feel of a forged iron, or the validity of a 3 handicap consistently unable to break 85 in a tournament, or in this case, the idea that SC putters are better quality than Ping, Odyssey, and all of the rest.  They are not and anybody with a clear head and clear mind can see that.  They are, no doubt, great putters, but the only thing that SC/Titleist is truly better at than the rest, like @newtogolf pointed out already, is marketing.

• Upvote 1

I have no issue with SC copying Ping or TaylorMade putter designs . That's fine - they all do it. My problem is as follows: Newcomers to the game come on to websites and immediately see threads dominated by brand fetishists and because of their lack of experience, believe things that aren't true. Disclaimer: Yes - they should do their due diligence. But.... It follows from threads form people with a driver from 2009 (which may have been instrumental in winning 5 majors) where they wonder if their "old technology" is holding them back. For people to say that SC putters rate as "the best" or have "something special" is false. On this site, people talk about the "quality" or "finish" which is identical to so many other brands, but think that it sets them apart. It can be easily proven as untrue. The other thing I find irksome is the man himself - calling his factory a "studio", and the ridiculous "authentication" service, which is a cynical marketing ploy to imply rarity and value to a very common, mass-produced item. Putt with whatever you like  - as you will, why wouldn't you - but lets not have brand sycophants tooting falsehoods. If someone can tell me why an SC putter is better than Odyssey Black series putters, Piretti, Edel, Byron, etc etc. I'll proclaim them as special. But it won't - and can't happen. And.....I resent being told I have "issues" by someone who scoffs at the idea that SC putters are not the standard by which others are judged.

I know everyone says that @Shorty is grumpy (and I may even agree) but the above post is beyond reproach as far as I'm concerned! Nice job!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I know everyone says that @Shorty is grumpy (and I may even agree) but the above post is beyond reproach as far as I'm concerned! Nice job!

I agree, Shorty tells it like it is, some perceive his non-PC comments as grumpy but I find them refreshing, even when they are targeted at me. :beer:

Joe Paradiso

some perceive his non-PC comments as grumpy

The grumpy looking cat he has as his avatar definitely adds to it

-Rich

Over the years, the only thing I've seen from Scotty that is new or innovative are the jewelry he puts on putters or his limited edition head covers.

Over the years, I've read too many threads about Cameron that show he is not innovative unless one claims his improvements are innovative ... and that's fine. That's not a knock on Scotty and not a bad thing. Pioneers get arrows in their back. And Titleist is not known as an innovator. Generally, they take other's ideas and improve them. That's great. Scott takes other's ideas and makes them seem brand new. It sells and it works for many ...

(Disclosure -- I've owned 10-12 Scottys since about 1996... but not any since about 2002. Nice putters. But I wanted more innovation and customization.)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Over the years, the only thing I've seen from Scotty that is new or innovative are the jewelry he puts on putters or his limited edition head covers.

Over the years, I've read too many threads about Cameron that show he is not innovative unless one claims his improvements are innovative ... and that's fine. That's not a knock on Scotty and not a bad thing. Pioneers get arrows in their back. And Titleist is not known as an innovator. Generally, they take other's ideas and improve them. That's great. Scott takes other's ideas and makes them seem brand new. It sells and it works for many ...

(Disclosure -- I've owned 10-12 Scottys since about 1996... but not any since about 2002. Nice putters. But I wanted more innovation and customization.)

Interesting perspective but I'm not sure which putter manufacturers you consider to be innovative at this point in the putter market if not SC?  I think he's innovated user changeable weights, the Futura X counter balanced seemed pretty innovative as well.

I know SeeMore has their RST technology and Callaway this year introduced the ability to add or remove weight from the grip but beyond that I'm not seeing anything I'd consider real innovation in the putter market.

Joe Paradiso

Interesting perspective but I'm not sure which putter manufacturers you consider to be innovative at this point in the putter market if not SC?  I think he's innovated user changeable weights, the Futura X counter balanced seemed pretty innovative as well. I know SeeMore has their RST technology and Callaway this year introduced the ability to add or remove weight from the grip but beyond that I'm not seeing anything I'd consider real innovation in the putter market.

I would consider Edels fitting system to be pretty innovative, but beyond that I have no idea. I'm not really into putters so I don't follow any of that stuff anyway. I just bought the second putter of my life and it's a pretty safe bet I'll never buy another putter unless this one gets lost or broken. :)

I'm convinced that having a putter that fits is very important. I'm not convinced that it makes much difference which putter it is.

My putter cost $1 at a yard sale and I putt better than plenty of people I know that have expensive putters (including Scottys). Either the putter isn't making very much difference or I'm just on a long run of good luck and they are on a long run of bad luck.

Note: This thread is 3544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!