IGNORED

Being Fit for an Edel Putter

Note: This thread is 1501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I read lightly the original post a few weeks ago ... not in great detail ...

On the slope, the fitter stood where I said I was aiming and watched as I hit balls his way.

distance, was no pin or aim point ... he simply would place a ball and have me hit them the same while not looking at anything for reference.

The good news, I did not buy a putter yet, and there is another fitter in the area.

Yeah, uh, I don't know what to say about any of that. I've never heard of such a thing. Did you even change the weights in doing the distance control part of the fitting?

You must have very lightly read the original post, or forgotten a bunch of it. I'd definitely seek out the other fitter.

PM me the name of the fitter you worked with if you could, please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Update for my Edel: It came in on Friday, but alas, as I expected, it had the wrong cosmetic customization. Really bummed about that. I called Edel within 12 hours of my fitting, three days (incl. weekend) before my fitter even called Edel to go over the order with them, spoke with Rob twice at Edel and although he stated he would call me back on Monday the 8th, he never did. Thus, the changes I dictated to him were not incorporated. Golf Galaxy was great and said they will contact Edel and make it right.

Have to say, as great as the fitting was, I am disappointed at the lack of communication from Edel. Perhaps something happened with Rob and he was out for unexpected reasons and no one followed up with me. I do not want to cast aspersions on anyone personally, Rob was great when we did speak, but I have to say when a company is selling customization and you have a customer paying in excess of $500 for a putter calling you multiple times to speak about the customization and you send out the incorrect design after failing to call the customer back for over two weeks, well, that's not good business. I should have been more prepared with my design, but as I did not know what style of putter i would be fit to (play a blade and was fitted for the biggest mallet) I didn't know what I would be working with. I think calling before they even had the order is fairly reasonable.

Although without the proper design, the putter was still gorgeous and I so wanted to hit it. Will look forward to hopefully receiving a corrected version sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Anyway, moral of story as I mentioned a week ago, have your design in your head when you go to the best of your ability,

Matt E.

:srixon: Z745 (9.5°)

:touredge: XCG5 4 wood (16.5°)

:gigagolf: Turbo Power Z 7 wood (21°)

Louisville Golf Niblick 7 wood (24°)

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

:mizuno: MP69 PW (50°)

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

:edel: Putter

Thanks for sharing, PapaMatt. What happens to the incorrectly-customized putter?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

It happens, unfortunately.

That's a bummer, but they will make good on it.

I waited 2 months for a headcover. Apparently, they have an employee who gets behind.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I got an email back from Matt Mora at UGP.  He indicated that they do putter fitting with the SAM Putt Lab.  He says that they are waiting for the updated Edel fitting system for the new Torque balanced putters, and that it will not be available until April.  It sounds like they do more of a generic fitting, and deal in several brands of boutique putters (Edel, Cameron, Peretti, Giannini) rather than doing the specific Edel fitting that Erik describes above.

Would this be a good way to get into an Edel putter?  I am thinking that I would still like to find someone that does the fitting per the Edel methods.

@Big C - Did you ever hear back from Brent Mann?

I'm looking into a So Cal fitting as well.  Called Edel first, they directed me to Matt Mora at UGP in LA.  They're not yet "certified" to fit the Torque Balanced putter line, but are now trained up on the "Classic" putter line.  Apparently Dave Edel himself was out to train Matt in the Edel system, and fairly recently, but Matt's account.  Anyway, he's all set up and ready to go.  Charges $165 for the fitting (NOT included in the putter price, FYI) if it takes an hour, but if it goes longer, he will up the cost to $195 for a 90 minute fitting.

I dropped off the TST radar for a while, new baby, busy at work and little golf to speak of.  I'm getting the bug back, however. It's good to see so many familiar posters.  I will update you guys when I do my fitting.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Further update - Golf Galaxy called and left a message basically saying I as SOL so I called Edel and spoke to Rob and as before he was great. Evidently there was some kind of miscommunication in that after I talked to Rob and he essentially received the message to do the original design. No idea how that happened. Anyway his solution was a good one - basically pick up the putter and play without and make sure it is what it should be functionally, and then when I have downtime from golf, either vacation or winter time or whatever, they will set up an RA for Otto go back and get restamped how I want it. Works for me. Will pick it up tomorrow.

Matt E.

:srixon: Z745 (9.5°)

:touredge: XCG5 4 wood (16.5°)

:gigagolf: Turbo Power Z 7 wood (21°)

Louisville Golf Niblick 7 wood (24°)

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

:mizuno: MP69 PW (50°)

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

:edel: Putter

Edel putters are fit for AIM. Many people, for example, who aim left and who have compensated by pushing their putts will push their first 100 or 150 putts with their new Edel before they wash that out of their stroke entirely.

This is spot on for my experience.    I aim left due to my left dominant eye.   The fitted putter was set to compensate for that.   I can use pendulum swing and the putter will direct it to right of where I aim at.   But it took a while (4 - 5 rounds & practices?) to undo the "pushes" @iacas mentioned above.     And as I recall, with the demo putter fitted to my spec during the fitting session, I could not putt straight b/c I was still "compensating."

The other half of the fitting was about finding the balance of the putter that felt right with my putting style.  They did this by using/placing weights, finding the right length of the putter, etc..  The end result helped me with distance control, and consistency.  With the old putter, it was harder to keep the back swing to be "pendulum" for longer putts.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I'm looking into a So Cal fitting as well.  Called Edel first, they directed me to Matt Mora at UGP in LA.  They're not yet "certified" to fit the Torque Balanced putter line, but are now trained up on the "Classic" putter line.  Apparently Dave Edel himself was out to train Matt in the Edel system, and fairly recently, but Matt's account.  Anyway, he's all set up and ready to go.  Charges $165 for the fitting (NOT included in the putter price, FYI) if it takes an hour, but if it goes longer, he will up the cost to $195 for a 90 minute fitting.

What's the normal time for an Edel fitting anyway?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Charges $165 for the fitting (NOT included in the putter price, FYI) if it takes an hour, but if it goes longer, he will up the cost to $195 for a 90 minute fitting.

Holy cow.Does that get rolled into the cost of the putter or no? I am sorry but there is no way his putter fitting time is worth $165 an hour.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

By most accounts 1-hour should cover it.

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

...Charges $165 for the fitting (NOT included in the putter price, FYI) if it takes an hour, but if it goes longer, he will up the cost to $195 for a 90 minute fitting.

Wow, I guess I'm lucky I got mine done when I did.  I have no idea what the price of my fitting would have been had I not bought the putter because it was rolled into the putter price.  Essentially it was a "free" fitting.

Mine (Brent Mann) was right about an hour.

Holy cow.Does that get rolled into the cost of the putter or no? I am sorry but there is no way his putter fitting time is worth $165 an hour.

OK, good, I'm not crazy.  That seemed a bit of a red flag to me.

Sort of.  The  premise (as it was explained to me) is you pay for the putter and the fitting at the same time.  So if the putter costs $350 (including the type/model, stamping, finish, etc), your total cost is $515.  I suppose the fitting is worth what you're willing to pay for it.  They're the only "certified" Edel fitter in the LA area (except maybe Brent Mann, who per this thread apparently doesn't return phone calls), or driving to San Diego or Bakersfield.  I'd gladly pay $165 to avoid driving to Bakersfield.

That said, I'm guessing not a lot of attention will be spent finding out if my current putter is aimed correctly.

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

• Administrator

30-90 minutes, with the sweet spot falling at 45-60 minutes. Mine are fairly thorough, though.

With a standard putter costing more than the $350 you said (minimum), adding $165, tax, and shipping to that can add up fast.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrx

Mine was in Feb.2012 so it's hard to remember, but I'm guessing it took about 70 minutes. Keith Handler fitted me at Old Palm CC in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. I still use that putter and probably will never change it.

Fitting was free.

Constantine

They're the only "certified" Edel fitter in the LA area (except maybe Brent Mann, who per this thread apparently doesn't return phone calls), or driving to San Diego or Bakersfield.  I'd gladly pay $165 to avoid driving to Bakersfield.

Yeah, the guys in San Diego had stopped fitting for Edel before I went.  Nobody has been able to get ahold of Brent Mann, so presumably he's not doing it anymore, so maybe this other guy knows he's currently the only one around and can charge for it.

It's a bummer though, because that is a lot of extra money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shindig

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrx

Mine was in Feb.2012 so it's hard to remember, but I'm guessing it took about 70 minutes. Keith Handler fitted me at Old Palm CC in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. I still use that putter and probably will never change it.

Fitting was free.

Also, I want to add that Keith told me it was okay if I wanted to back out after the fitting -- no charge for anything -- and no hard feelings. Very good guy. I wasn't going to back out as I really liked the results I was getting with that Frankenstein putter he made me during the fitting, but it was nice of him to give me that option if I got cold feet. Putter arrived in the mail two weeks later or something.

Constantine

I haven't paid for an Edel fitting, and have been fitted for putter, irons, wedges... must be my smile. :-$

Just fortunate.

I think it helps if the fitter is also your instructor.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

OK my putter saga continues ... told fitter #1 to cancel order. Emailed (Sunday) fitter #2 ... no response, so I called today and left a number ... still no response. Maybe the golf gods just do not want me to have an Edel ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 1501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!