IGNORED

Almost had a double eagle today. . .

Lem Clevenger
Note: This thread is 3550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hunting Hawk Golf Course #3 ~485 yards with Driver / 5 iron.   Approach hit the green about 2 feet short of the hole, hit the pin and finished about a foot to the right of the hole. Just read online that the odds of a double eagle are 1 million to 1 and the odds of a hole in one are 13,000 to 1.

So close, yet so far away. . . did make the putt :-)

Nice shot!!

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Excellent!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awesome! My grandfather got a double eagle once, and never had a hole in one. It was the coolest thing ever to see. He hit Driver, 3W on a par 5 and we couldn't find the ball. Looked all around the green, short, long, left, right. Finally I went a peeked in the hole and sure enough there it was. I said "Hey Papa, you forgot to look here!"

I've been about 5-6 feet from one but that's as close as I've got.

And from the history of The Masters...

It was called the “shot heard ‘round the world.” This shot wasn’t taken with a musket, but by Gene Sarazen with his 4-wood – it was called a spoon from 235 yards on the 15th hole in the fourth round of the 1935 Masters. It flew straight as any shot in Lexington and Concord and found the cup for the rarest one of all – a double eagle – a 2 on a par-5.

The background:

Gene Sarazen, paired with his pal and rival Walter Hagen, was playing an hour behind Craig Wood and was three shots down coming to the par 5, 15th hole at Augusta. Hitting a fine drive of some 265 yards to the right side of the 15th fairway, Sarazen had a full 4-wood of some 230 yards off a close, wet lie in cold, heavy air to a green fronted by water.

Bobby Jones, perhaps realizing the moment, decided to come down from the clubhouse to see if Sarazen could catch Wood, thinking he needed three birdies in the final four holes to force a playoff. He reached Sarazen and Hagen just as a young Byron Nelson, playing the adjacent 17th hole, pushed his drive near where Sarazen’s ball had come to rest.

So, all four of those golf immortals – the hallowed Jones, the flamboyant Hagen and the soon-to-be great Nelson, watched as Sarazen’s arrow-like 4-wood hit a foot before the green, then bounced once - twice - and settled to a smooth roll, while the ripple of sound from the gallery crescendoed to a  thunderous roar – and in one swing Gene Sarazen made up the three stroke difference as the ball rolled gently into the cup.

Gene Sarazen parred the final three holes to tie Craig Wood at 282, six under par. In an almost anti-climatic 36-hole playoff the next day, Sarazen defeated Wood by five strokes, 144 to 149.

Grantland Rice, America’s first great sports writer and a founding member of Augusta National, called it “ … the most thrilling single golf shot ever played.”

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Closest I've ever gotten to double eagling was driving a green on a par 4 and leaving it like 6 feet away, and I didn't even make the putt :|

-Rich

Played with a plus 2 handicapper a couple months ago who put his second shot within 6 inches of the pin on one of our par 5's. That's the closest I've been to a double eagle :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

Guy comes onto the forum and brags about almost (but not) doing something on a  short par 5. Then says how hard it is to do - yet he didn't do it.

A whole bunch of people immediately say supportive and friendly things. He disappears immediately. Fancy that!

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

double eagle?  You mean an [COLOR=333333]Albatross.[/COLOR]

Both are correct

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Guy comes onto the forum and brags about almost (but not) doing something on a  short par 5. Then says how hard it is to do - yet he didn't do it.

A whole bunch of people immediately say supportive and friendly things. He disappears immediately. Fancy that!

Be more grumpy please. :-P

Closest I've been is 6 feet or something after a 3-iron approach and 9 feet with a 6-iron approach. Oh, and a par four that had trees and stuff guarding the green, but it was reachable with a long iron. It was a dogleg left with the green being elevated 3-4 meters. You were "supposed" to hit it to the right and then a wedge up, but with a proper curve, you could reach the green. Had a few that were close up there.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 3550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!