IGNORED

Golf Digest Editorial: 36 Most Common Mistakes in Golf

billchao
Note: This thread is 3495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I keep a big bottle of No-Ad SPF 30 in my bag. One thing you could do is apply it before your round and wipe the rest off your hands, but if you're playing 18 you'll probably need to apply it again at some point during the round so just bring a towel to wipe/rub the excess sunscreen off. The oily feeling goes away pretty quickly. Alternatively you could try sunscreen in an aerosol can since that's much less oily. I'm not crazy about it because of how much getting wasted during application.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I should probably start wearing sunscreen, but I just can't stand it when it feels oily because I know it eventually gets on my grips (it ends up on them if I have sunscreen on my arms). Anyone know of some good sunscreen?

Banana Boat SPF 50 or Hawaiian Tropic SPF35 (I use this one) are pretty good. You should apply it once an hour (which I should), but it does not feel greasy and wipes off with the towel.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

#37-Reading Golf Digest

Good one! :)

No. 11 says don't practice 20-foot putts. I always hit a few just to get the feel of the green on a given day.

Four to eight footers will help you with one-putts, BUT, not practicing a few longer putts can lead to three-putts. The area Forest Park courses have several holes with long, narrow greens. Count on a couple of 50-footers each round.

Remember, this is the same Golf Digest that once advised us to sell all our clubs which were more than two years old.

John, you should buy the book to the left: http://lowestscorewins.com/buy . There's no need to practice 20-foot putts. Hit a few for speed if you want, but 3-15 and 25+ foot putts matter significantly more. And they're still only what we call "SV②" skills.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Interesting list.  The tips tee for #5 is just outside my back fence on the local course.  I often, when working in the yard or just sipping suds, watch the players who use these tees.  Most just don't belong there and I see a lot of tee balls over the fence on the right.  Whatever business that owns this property ought to start a competition with lostgolfballs web site.

The only other one that caught my attention was the sunblock application.  Around here if you don't use it you'll end up like me with skin on your forearms the thickness and strength of single ply tissue paper.  You will also end up in the Dermatologist's office every 6 months or so getting stuff cut or frozen off your skin surface.  These days I play with sun block sleeves, yes even in the heat.

:~(

Butch

You might want to post the link

Yes, I'd like to see that one, too.

I was led to believe sunscreen kept the damaging effects of the sun at bay...

Anyway, in a search earlier in the year of golf forums, the consensus is that

golfersskin

is one of the top screens for golfers. All natural sunscreen from NZ. Sold in green side shops and the company's website.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yes, I'd like to see that one, too.

I was led to believe sunscreen kept the damaging effects of the sun at bay...

Anyway, in a search earlier in the year of golf forums, the consensus is that

golfersskin

is one of the top screens for golfers. All natural sunscreen from NZ. Sold in green side shops and the company's website.

well, the sun gives us vitamin D, but you get enough of that for a whole day in just 15 minutes of sun exposure.  after that its not really good for you.  although the catch 22 is that the crap they put in sunscreen is horrible for you as well.

Colin P.

well, the sun gives us vitamin D, but you get enough of that for a whole day in just 15 minutes of sun exposure.  after that its not really good for you.  although the catch 22 is that the crap they put in sunscreen is horrible for you as well.

Yes, that's why I only apply it to exposed skin during golfing hours, and then shower it off.

Mistake #39 -- Golfers do not video themselves

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yes, that's why I only apply it to exposed skin during golfing hours, and then shower it off.

Mistake #39 -- Golfers do not video themselves

Mistake 39 is actually number one. For a sport that demands such precision, it's incredible how what you think are doing differs from what you are doing.

Note: This thread is 3495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!