IGNORED

Tour Players Complain about Playing 4 Weeks Straight

skydog
Note: This thread is 3514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You're correct, these professions aren't comparable; one is recreation and the other is REAL work.

Right, and recreation can't be tiring. Running a marathon is recreation...which means you don't exert any energy, right?

"Real work" is debatable. I could say that the only reason you're doing "real work" every day, is because you didn't put in the kind of "real work" an athlete has to in order to make it to the pro level.

But I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion...however wrong it may be... :-P

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's amazing to me the amount of sympathy some have on this forum for a guy complaining about too much golf. Phil HAS to play the majors and the WGC, he HAS to play all four playoff events, then he HAS to play the Ryder Cup, and, I guess, he HAS to win them all. Let's change it to accomodate Phil.

Steve Stricker wanted more time with his family, so he plays a reduced schedule; no whining, no complaining.

Right, and recreation can't be tiring. Running a marathon is recreation...which means you don't exert any energy, right?

Yep, and you'll likely be all in support of the marathoner who complains that marathons are too long, won't ya?

But I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion...however wrong it may be...

you'd know better than most

1. Yep, and you'll likely be all in support of the marathoner who complains that marathons are too long, won't ya?

2. you'd know better than most

1. Nope, but I also wouldn't say that it isn't hard work...because I'm not ignorant on the subject matter. I've played sports my whole life...to say that it isn't real work is just plain ignorant, and has to be coming from someone who hasn't played any sport at a competitive level.

2. Quality 2nd grade comeback to what was a lighthearted joke.

Ryan M

• Administrator

Yep, and you'll likely be all in support of the marathoner who complains that marathons are too long, won't ya?

Yes, if they scheduled the Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, and New York Marathons two weeks apart.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1. Nope, but I also wouldn't say that it isn't hard work...because I'm not ignorant on the subject matter. I've played sports my whole life...to say that it isn't real work is just plain ignorant, and has to be coming from someone who hasn't played any sport at a competitive level.

2. Quality 2nd grade comeback to what was a lighthearted joke.

1. I'm extremely curious. Please define "competitive level" for me. Trying to ascertain your, seemingly, otherworldly powers of deduction through an internet forum.

2. "lighthearted joke" lol - I see "just plain ignorant" "2nd grade comeback" "didn't put in the kind of real work" - you've called me lazy and stupid despite only interacting with me on a golf forum. But sure, keep telling yourself you're a nice guy.

Title of this thread "Tour Players Look Pathetic Complaining about 4 Weeks Straight" - to me it's analogous to a marathoner complaining about the length of a marathon. You disagree, that's fine. You like Phil, great. My opinion, playoffs in other sports are a grind and the golf playoffs should be the same.

Players can play well enough in the regular season to be able to take off a week during the playoff (NFL 1st rnd bye) or play well enough in the playoffs to take off a week (sweep in the NBA/NHL/MLB). I can't see any issues here.

But I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion...however wrong it may be...

^^^ Lighthearted joke. Note the smiley.

1. I'm extremely curious. Please define "competitive level" for me. Trying to ascertain your, seemingly, otherworldly powers of deduction through an internet forum.

2. "lighthearted joke" lol - I see "just plain ignorant" "2nd grade comeback" "didn't put in the kind of real work" - you've called me lazy and stupid despite only interacting with me on a golf forum. But sure, keep telling yourself you're a nice guy.

Title of this thread "Tour Players Look Pathetic Complaining about 4 Weeks Straight" - to me it's analogous to a marathoner complaining about the length of a marathon. You disagree, that's fine. You like Phil, great. My opinion, playoffs in other sports are a grind and the golf playoffs should be the same.

Players can play well enough in the regular season to be able to take off a week during the playoff (NFL 1st rnd bye) or play well enough in the playoffs to take off a week (sweep in the NBA/NHL/MLB). I can't see any issues here.

1. Highest level for me would be college Rugby. My otherworldly powers of deduction are based on knowing that nobody who actually competed at a high level in sports would blow off the level of work and dedication.

2. Ignorant is only an insult if you take it that way. I'm ignorant in many areas, and I don't pretend otherwise. And it was a snide 2nd grade level comeback, so don't get upset that I called it what it is. Also, how you got lazy from me telling you that you didn't put in the work to become a pro athlete is beyond me...I'm an engineer...no pro athlete, so I obviously didn't put in the work either. Just making a point.

For the record, I don't like hearing any pro athlete whine...they have it better than most, and I don't want to hear millionaires complain about how hard their jobs are. But to dismiss what they do and have worked for as "not real work" is ignorant. That doesn't mean I'm calling you stupid, or lazy.

Ryan M

It seems the discussion has veered pretty far off track from the OP.  The comment was made that the Tour Championship took it's toll on some because of the number of consecutive weeks it required.

I can sympathize with guys like Phil because I'm close to his age and have found golfing 4 days in a row to be physically and mentally taxing.  Add in travel, practice rounds, sponsor events, unfamiliar rooms / beds, social engagements, etc I can see how some could find it difficult to maintain their level of proficiency on the course during a pretty high pressure tournament.

I think some are reading too much into it.

Joe Paradiso

PGA Tour Player = Work.  Some more than others but it was reported that VJ used to hit a 1000 balls a day at the range before and after each round.  That's a lot of work in anybody's book especially at his age.  So yes, I guess many of us would love to have the opportunity to play on the tour if not for just one week.  More importantly though to the comment about the Ryder Cup, I think we (US Players) need to feel the fire in our belly much earlier in the year.  From the time we lost at Medina 2 years, our priority should be to win it back and to do it on their soil.  It seems that US players are more money driven than the pride of playing for their country.  They just don't seem to get pumped up for the RC.  Paul Azinger really had it figured out by getting the guys to buy into the team concept.  Mark my words that if Poulter is on their team, he will find a way to win no matter what kind of injury he has been fighting this year.  The Euro team just seem to want it more. That's my $02 worth.

~Billy

:mizuno:  :tmade:  :callaway: :odyssey:   :footjoy:  :clicgear:

Don't sell yourself short judge - you're a tremendous slouch!!!

It seems the discussion has veered pretty far off track from the OP.  The comment was made that the Tour Championship took it's toll on some because of the number of consecutive weeks it required.

I can sympathize with guys like Phil because I'm close to his age and have found golfing 4 days in a row to be physically and mentally taxing.  Add in travel, practice rounds, sponsor events, unfamiliar rooms / beds, social engagements, etc I can see how some could find it difficult to maintain their level of proficiency on the course during a pretty high pressure tournament.

I think some are reading too much into it.

I'm not sure the OP applies to all PGA tour pros, it's probably only one or two complainers. Most of these guys are pretty hard working types, and probably haven't complained.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm not sure the OP applies to all PGA tour pros, it's probably only one or two complainers. Most of these guys are pretty hard working types, and probably haven't complained.

Agreed. Most tour pros are hard working grinders who have to play most every week and are happy for the opportunity. The complainers here were primarily the likes of Phil, Rory, and Stenson.

BTW, the censorship on this forum is a bit overboard. My original thread title said tour players look 'pathetic'...are guys that sensitive where that isn't appropriate? C'mon mods, lighten up a a bit.

Note: This thread is 3514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!