IGNORED

2014 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't think Phil should have played both sessions day 1. Should have been out there day 2 morning session. Still not liking the captains picks. I understand Bradley for the spark he gives Phil. Can't really say either way about Spieth and Reed not playing 2 times day 1. They have played well together. Tomorrow seems very daunting 12 matches 4 wins it. Tall task and the match ups are not in our favor. As much as I get the Fowler McIlroy match up 3rd match out could be devastating. This could also propel Fowler for next season. Really went at it this year.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

As a Brit, I always feared speith from day 1, Along with fowler and bubba, and then lefty, although getting on a bit, I would have thought he would play once on both days! I knew these men would cause trouble but, unfortunately, they're only a 3rd of your squad. As for our side, I knew rose would be awesome, he's very reliable at the moment! Rory is Rory, no1 for a reason! Sergio could beat anyone on a good day, And GMacs superb! And yet the rest of the squad is still strong, but I thought gallacher would have been much better than he was, with it being his home course too! I don't know what or how poulter is thought of the USA, but over here, we love him in the Ryder cup, picking him was a gamble, because he's not the best golfer, and there were better golfers available to take his spot, yet for some reasons he always seems to rise to the occasion of the Ryder cup, his first day wasn't great, but he is capable of pulling out a bit if magic just when it's needed! He adds something to the squad that nobody else quite does, you can tell, although he's focused and passionate about this event, he also loves every second of it, he's kinda become the European mascot, captain of the locker room, and, at least for the near future, it just wouldn't be the same without him! Anyway, I'm just waffling because I can't sleep, it's 3:30 am and I'm in a 2 day comp tomorrow, I cannot wait! I hope your boys put up a fight tomorrow! I always like this event to go right to the death! There's some great pair ups tomorrow and I think it will be a great final day regardless of the result! Good luck chaps.... you'll need it!

Gaz Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikefishes

Ah, it all comes down to putting.

Just wanted to share this thread with you, might change your mind about "what it comes down to". Ballstriking is king.

The idea that the PGA tour could even hyperthetically have anything to say about how a world sport is played is at the core of why you guys keep losing. As is pointing to guys relative performance on the PGA tour while idnoring their performance on the European Tour, or the performance of our players who choose to predominantly play in Europe, as an idication of team strength. And you guys still don't get it.......

Anyway, best of luck today, let's all hope for some hard fought, close matches.

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It all makes sense all of a sudden. Tom Watson is a tactical genius after all. This whole team has talked about "redemption" and even called itself "the redeem team". Well the best way to redeem themselves is to set up the exact same scoreline in reverse and turn it round?

And for what its worth, I think McGinley has made as many mistakes as Watson in his choices and tactics, it's just that his horses have got their jockey out of trouble despite his errors.

A lot of Watson's errors were made prior to arrival at Gleneagles. "Clumsy" is the best word I'd use to describe him, but his conduct has been that of man who doesn't really have the nous for sports team management. I suspect he'd have made a great vice captain assigned to handle a specific type of player

And for what its worth, I think McGinley has made as many mistakes as Watson in his choices and tactics, it's just that his horses have got their jockey out of trouble despite his errors.

A lot of Watson's errors were made prior to arrival at Gleneagles. "Clumsy" is the best word I'd use to describe him, but his conduct has been that of man who doesn't really have the nous for sports team management. I suspect he'd have made a great vice captain assigned to handle a specific type of player

Watson is old school and remains that way ... that's his issue. A man's thinking must always evolve to keep up. Watson is showing his limitations. I think a blending of old school and new helps. Why ignore the science of building a team?

A real USA team would only have limited the damage. I sense a rout today. The Europeans are a better team with better individual players.

Not being the better team, the only way for USA to win is to catch lightning in a bottle. To misquote Ben Crenshaw, "I don't have a good feeling today."

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

With the exception of Gallacher and perhaps Bjorn, McDowell was just about the last person McGinley should have used to lead off. I'd have that one down as an American win as soon as I saw it

The sad thing about the choice, is that McGinley thinks he's pulled a major tactical coup based on the illogical quote he made yesterday for failing to field McDowell and Dubuisson in the morning fourballs

"It was tempting, but I'm working to a plan. All will be revealed on Sunday"

So now that we can see his plan (Dubuisson last, McDowell first) I'm stull struggling to understand why this precluded from playing Saturday morning. Something in the water in Dublin I suspect

Wonder if Phil is playing his last Cup today? Certainly in Europe you'd have to think he is. It'll be interesting to see if he starts doing the emperors walk later on

Not to worry, Euros. At this pace, Rors will take Fowler 10 and 8.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Really nice to see Spieth continue his success. Hopefully he pulls it off and hopefully he is our team's future. On he other hand, Rickie looks like a AA pitcher throwing against Mike Trout at the plate.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Holy shit Rory. This amazes me. Seems like Rory has truly outgrown the nerves and pressure and moved into the "it" factor realm that Tiger had. Dont know if Rickie will ever get there.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Note: This thread is 3515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!