IGNORED

2014 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From an article published a few hours ago on Yahoo:

Azinger guided the American team to a 16.5-11.5 win over captain Nick Faldo and the Europeans six years ago at Valhalla in Kentucky. He employed what he called a Pod system, creating three groups of four players based on personality types that bonded, practiced and played together throughout the matches.

So introvert, extrovert and "other"

Interesting.

Faldo was the worst Euro captain in recent memory in 2008. Watson may occupy that slot for the U.S. going forward. He seemed borderline senile.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thought that Mickelson's comments were way out of bounds  and comical, as well as completely classless.  If the U.S. lost by a point then maybe blame some decisions on the captain. They got drubbed and should have admitted as such, the  matches were won on the golf course by a European squad that was more talented by far and playing their best golf. Bubba Watson Furyk and Matt Kuchar were the top 3 ranked U.S. players and they were like 2-8-2???    Mickelson is not a great alternate shot player because he is too wild off the tee.....  the loss was bad but blaming the captain for the teams bad play is  ridiculous and contrary to one of the great principles golf is supposed to instill - acceptance.    The Americans (Mickelson primarily)  need to apologize for blatant bad sportsmanship.  And Jason Dufner commenting on twitter -  after the season he had - lol.  They could play that European team 10 times and not win once if the matches were in Europe - It was clearly the best European team in terms of talent and depth they have ever assembled. As for Azinger, he probably hasn't been asked back due to his complete lack of sportsmanship  towards his fellow captain  prior to the Ryder Cup. I wouldn't want him representing U.S. again.   Maybe we should consider not putting Phil on the next team as he and Furyk are the two players with the most losses in U.S. history.   I would have sat Mickelson and Bradley Fri afternoon and played them Sat. morning,   but if you remember it was Phil who took himself out two years ago when the United States had a collapse for the ages. More than anything, it just seemed like a childish response from a professional golfer of his pedigree and experience.

Thought that Mickelson's comments were way out of bounds  and comical, as well as completely classless.  If the U.S. lost by a point then maybe blame some decisions on the captain. They got drubbed and should have admitted as such, the  matches were won on the golf course by a European squad that was more talented by far and playing their best golf. Bubba Watson Furyk and Matt Kuchar were the top 3 ranked U.S. players and they were like 2-8-2???    Mickelson is not a great alternate shot player because he is too wild off the tee.....  the loss was bad but blaming the captain for the teams bad play is  ridiculous and contrary to one of the great principles golf is supposed to instill - acceptance.    The Americans (Mickelson primarily)  need to apologize for blatant bad sportsmanship.  And Jason Dufner commenting on twitter -  after the season he had - lol.  They could play that European team 10 times and not win once if the matches were in Europe - It was clearly the best European team in terms of talent and depth they have ever assembled. As for Azinger, he probably hasn't been asked back due to his complete lack of sportsmanship  towards his fellow captain  prior to the Ryder Cup. I wouldn't want him representing U.S. again.   Maybe we should consider not putting Phil on the next team as he and Furyk are the two players with the most losses in U.S. history.   I would have sat Mickelson and Bradley Fri afternoon and played them Sat. morning,   but if you remember it was Phil who took himself out two years ago when the United States had a collapse for the ages. More than anything, it just seemed like a childish response from a professional golfer of his pedigree and experience.

That's harsh and out of line, showing complete disrespect -- classless, emotional, childish, shock jock rantology.

:-$

It's your opinion, and I gotta' say, it's a little out there... I disagree with it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This year I played three amateur tournaments, all alternate shot. So I guess you are right. (btw I suck, but that's beside the point)

Alternate shot might be an interesting format for a PGA Tour event - random pairings as well. Could be an interesting week if they ran an event under that format. It'd be fun to watch.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I sure wouldn't want to be in a fox hole with Phil!

You wouldn't be, he'd ensure he was in the backroom driving the strategy

Mickelson (another Aberdeen/ Gleneagles no show) is about the last person who can hand out lectures on commitment and the like. When he finally made the team at Valhalla he was interviewed about his ambition for the future, and despite being part of the Medinah meltdown, and despite the cup being just 6 weeks away the only thing he could talk about was qualifying for the Olympics and have a nice big gold medal hung round his neck. Vainglorious individual I'm afraid. Wouldn't want him in our team (honestly)

However, i would suggest that unless you want to go round and round in circles, try and resist the temptation to look for single issue explanation and target that with a 'one more heave' mentality. The reasons why America keeps losing (8 out of 10 doesn't happen by accident) is because of a series of issues combining. You need to address a whole host of things, starting with .... oh I could give you a long list but there's no point

Soone ryou're rid of Mickelsons generation the better though

Congrats to Europe. The only other thing I have to say is...Bubba Watson pisses me off. Firing up the crowd on the 1st tee is the only positive note from him all weekend. I hope I don't have to see him in Hazeltine.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

That's a long, rambling paragraph but I certainly agree with the first sentence.   You don't see professional athletes in other sports blaming their coach for the loss in post-game interviews.  I'm not saying Phil's opinion is wrong or that he doesn't have a point but there's 2 years for him to get his point across.  All he should be saying today is that he wished they played better and is sorry for letting Tom down.

Personally, I don't buy into Phil's opinion.  You could've arranged the US team in PODS or whatever else and they still would've lost.

Congrats to the Euros for a well deserved victory.

To the US team . .nice job from the rookies.  I hope the vets either grow up or move on before the next cup.

My sentiments echo a lot of what's already been said...Tom underwhelmed as a captain but the Euros flat out outplayed us. Maybe some smarter moves by Watson could have made the difference but I don't know, think it would have been a longshot either way.

I do know a few things:

1.) If the RC wants to remain anywhere near relevant on this side of the Atlantic, the US team has to win in 2016. Americans tune out and turn away from things we're not winning, and if they haven't already (we'll see how bad the tv ratings are this year) then the 'casual sports' fans will continue to tune the RC out the more we lose.

2.) We need a captain who relies on more than hunches in the Foursomes segment and need to do our best to put together some kind of 'Money Ball' style formula to figure out pairings for alternate shot.

3.) 95% of the American team can't play in cold/inclement weather. Watching every American come up 1-2 clubs short every day on 17 this week was infuriaiting because they apparently can't figure out the ball doesn't travel as far in cold Scotland as it does in Orlando. Obviously we can't control the Euro course choice but choosing to play in Minnesota (or Chicago) in late September is idiotic and gives the Euros a clear advantage. In the future the PGA has to be smarter about our course choices and factor weather into the equation.

• Upvote 1

Euro course choice but choosing to play in Minnesota (or Chicago) in late September is idiotic and gives the Euros a clear advantage. In the future the PGA has to be smarter about our course choices and factor weather into the equation.

Minnesota 2016....and a Wisconsin links course in 2020...lol.

I'm not complaining though, there's a good chance I'll be at both.

Joel Holden

Soone ryou're rid of Mickelsons generation the better though

I agree tho I wouldn't call it mickelson's generation. I think this group got fat off of the bountiful scraps that fell from Tiger's table and don't know how to grind. Johnny miller said it during the broadcast "Americans don't know how to close." Americans all played well enough for a fat top ten finish check. I loved Patrick Reed's attitude and we need much, much more of that. Hopefully he doesn't get spoiled over the next two years. A team led by reed/spieth/horschel will be money.

Can anyone enlighten me on what this 'pods' system is? I keep hearing about it, but must've missed the details.

Nice of you to invite someone to do a google search for you.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

That's a long, rambling paragraph but I certainly agree with the first sentence.   You don't see professional athletes in other sports blaming their coach for the loss in post-game interviews.  I'm not saying Phil's opinion is wrong or that he doesn't have a point but there's 2 years for him to get his point across.  All he should be saying today is that he wished they played better and is sorry for letting Tom down.   Personally, I don't buy into Phil's opinion.  You could've arranged the US team in PODS or whatever else and they still would've lost.   Congrats to the Euros for a well deserved victory.   To the US team . .nice job from the rookies.  I hope the vets either grow up or move on before the next cup.

Agree. The pod system might be a good way to help certain players bond better, but it comes down to playing golf. The Euros played better. That's the bottom line.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Yep. Reminds me of the line from Rounders. "All of the luck" (or PODS) "in the world isn't going to help these guys. They are simply overmatched." BTW. I think we were lucky that Rory didn't hit full stride for a couple of days or it would have been worse. I had his team penciled in as an automatic win in every round.

I generally thought T.Watson did a lackluster job - he seemed just a little too set in his ways and sitting Spieth/Reed on Friday Foursomes and then didn't even have an answer as to why he did that, other than "those aren't things you discuss with the press."

That being said - the final was 16 1/2 to 11 1/2, meaning the US needs to flip 2 1/2 matches to be even.  You can never count on anything in the Ryder Cup, but consider this:

• Fowler/Walker 2 up with 2 to play - they halve
  • Reed misses a 2 footer to go 1up, they win 17 (would have ended the match) and lose 18 for a half
  • Spieth 3up after 9 - blows up on the back 9
  • Mahan 4up through 8 and only get a half point

We can say the Euros we're making putts all over the place, but in the end, the US seems to have a case of the "Furyk's" and simply aren't closing out matches they should be closing out.  The fact is, the guys of the Furyk/Mickelson generation have simply not gotten it done and should be left off future Ryder Cups.  If they don't qualify on their own in 2 years, I do not pick any of the following, no matter how they are playing:

• Mickelson
  • Furyk
  • Z. Johnson
  • Kuchar
  • Mahan
  • Simpson

The Euros are going to be very tough to beat for the foreseeable future, so better bring in guys who do not have the scar tissue.

• Upvote 1

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Am I the only one that thinks everyone is overreacting? I mean the Euros needed to pull off a mini-miracle in Medina to win. Why do we have to cry so much when we lose?

Europe vs The World? Dumbest shit I've ever heard. We can overcome this.

I'm excited for Hazeltine, USA has enough firepower to beat the Euros, just need those damn stars (and stripes) to align again.

Joel Holden

Agree. The pod system might be a good way to help certain players bond better, but it comes down to playing golf. The Euros played better. That's the bottom line.

I think some of you are missing the point.

In fact, I know you are missing the point.

Think about it... go through the process.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!