IGNORED

BIg Break Myrtle Beach (Fall 2014 Golf Channel)

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had an almost identical scenario in my mens club event last weekend. My tee shot on a par 3 spun backwards off the fringe on a downslope towards a bunker. It stopped in a tuft of grass about an inch from the bunker lip, leaving me no stance whatsoever. My first inclination was to do exactly what Christian did - straddle the ball facing away from the hole and try a circus shot between my legs. After giving it some thought, my next inclination was "you idiot, why in the hell would you try that? You have practiced that shot exactly zero times, and you're just as likely to crack yourself in the nuts as you are to hit it on the green."

Fortunately, reason and logic prevailed. I stepped into the bunker, choked way down on the club (as the ball was now set near my waist height) and took an awkward swing. The shot was marginal at best, but it got me onto the green with about an 18 foot attempt at par.

My point being that if Christian really thought he still had a chance, he should have taken off his shoes and socks and gone into the water. By trying the between the legs trick shot, he was basically waving the white flag, IMO.

That was my take as well, he didn't think he could win and didn't want to stand in the water or risk falling in.  At some level it shows how bad he wanted it because I think Anthony or Charlie would have taken their shoes off and given it their best effort.  It's quite possible he did take off his shoes and get in the water but didn't feel he could do any better with it, you never know what they edit out.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How good is Christian? Was he the weakest male golfer? Katy, an LSU grad, was mad a fellow LSU tiger, Tessa, picked her.

What's In My Bag...
Driver: Callaway Razr X Black 10.5*
FW / Hybrid: Nike T40 4W 17* / Nike CPR 24*
Irons: Callaway Razr X HL 5I-SW
Putter: Nike Method Core Putter
Balls: Nike PD Soft

I'm thinking we are underestimating Jimmy. I think the guy is steady so far, even if he wins none of the immunity challenges. He's been tested in elimination challenges, and he just keeps his cool. No drama. His pro record is more extensive than Toph/Anthony, and nearly on par with Charlie from a quick look at past tourney records. Charlie is riding high and always seems to deliver, but anyone can have bad challenge or two (remember Sadena- she was dominating at this point last season, and didn't even come close to making final group).   Jimmy could be this season's Jackie, playing second fiddle to Charlie's Sadena- looking unbeatable right up to the point where he gets beat. Then Jackie suddenly looked the best. I agree Emily is probably stronger than Tessa, but not by a huge margin. I think either of the ladies could sneak away with this thing if the final challenge holes give a big advantage on the red tees.  I'll go with my picks: 1. Jimmy (just to be contrarian) 2. Tessa 3. Charlie 4. Emily 5. Anthony  6. Toph I'm usually last in my office pools, so I'll likely be waaaaaaay off. It's fun to go down with underdog picks though.

Very late to this thread but in both instances he was gifted a pass to the next show. IIRC, the first elimination challenge he was in was when Emily (who dominated) and the Austrian girl picked him and the Austrian girl couldn't hit a shot to save her life. The second time just happened with Christian and anyone who saw the show knows how much of a gift Christian gave him. Jimmy has skated so hard. Personally, I'm rooting for Anthony or Emily. Anthony seems to play with a motivational chip on his shoulder and Emily just seems very solid.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Plus an interesting dynamic with those two. Tessa and Katy played together in a Women's US Open I think I heard. They bonded about injuries they were dealing with. I think Tessa sized Katy up from that round previously and felt confident she could win. Says Tessa is not afraid to put aside friendship and go for the jugular to some degree.

Well, unless she knew Katy to be a choke artist then she was wrong because Katy had her dead to rights. Personally, I think she picked Katy because she thinks the men have an advantage over the women in the competition. If memory serves, Katy hasn't played badly to that point.

Christian

[=3][/]Observations about the latest episode: - The show playing up the Jimmy and Toph bromance was funny. I like Jimmy, I am impressed how he has hung around. It Toph gets eliminated next, I wouldn't miss him at all. - I still think Charlie has the best game. He doesn't seem to have a single flaw and is so even keel. I get the impression that he comes from money, like old family wealth. Just a vibe I get from him. - Tessa seemed like a cool chick. Emily is cool too. Tessa has nice up-tops. I'm not being offensive just stating the obvious. - Anthony's swing always seems too quick to me. It is doesn't look like he overs wings but that he rushes himself and doesn't maintain good tempo. - Last but not least, Paige looked fantastic in this latest episode in the blue dress. She has never looked better. This has not been one of the more memorable seasons of Big Break. I am ready for this season to wrap.
  • Upvote 1

What's In My Bag...

Observations about the latest episode:

- The show playing up the Jimmy and Toph bromance was funny. I like Jimmy, I am impressed how he has hung around. It Toph gets eliminated next, I wouldn't miss him at all.

- I still think Charlie has the best game. He doesn't seem to have a single flaw and is so even keel. I get the impression that he comes from money, like old family wealth. Just a vibe I get from him.

- Tessa seemed like a cool chick. Emily is cool too. Tessa has nice up-tops. I'm not being offensive just stating the obvious.

- Anthony's swing always seems too quick to me. It is doesn't look like he overs wings but that he rushes himself and doesn't maintain good tempo.

- Last but not least, Paige looked fantastic in this latest episode in the blue dress. She has never looked better.

This has not been one of the more memorable seasons of Big Break. I am ready for this season to wrap.

Anthony has a really fast swing, I'm guessing he's self taught.  Charlie out smarted himself in the challenges, seems the pressure is starting to get to him, even though he played well in the elimination challenge.  The only way Toph makes it is if Jimmy and Charlie let him slide.  Toph doesn't have the distance to take on either of the guys or Emily in an elimination challenge.

I'm thinking Emily and Charlie finale, but if Jimmy gets hot he could be a longshot.

Joe Paradiso

Tessa! I really thought things were going your way and that you were gonna stick around longer! But the kiss of death was when I picked you to lose to Jimmy in the final. Next to go is likely Jimmy now.

Anyway, as it stands, I agree Charlie has the upper hand. Then Jimmy or Emily (yes, I know Jimmy hasn't shown us too much yet, but he does have experience in tournament golf- although mostly in 2012- and I still think he's better than he's shown us thus far). I just don't see Anthony or Toph as going much further. But then again, Fiamma had no business making the final match against Jackie last season.

Agreed that this season just needs to wrap up quickly. It hasn't been too compelling. A couple weeks, I've just watched the hosts' wrap-up segment on the Golf Channel web site... on Thursday or Friday, because I forgot about the week's episode.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Has this season been boring because of the mixed female-male cast? Or just the lack of personalities? I'd like to see a Charlie and Emily final.

What's In My Bag...

Tessa! I really thought things were going your way and that you were gonna stick around longer! But the kiss of death was when I picked you to lose to Jimmy in the final. Next to go is likely Jimmy now. Anyway, as it stands, I agree Charlie has the upper hand. Then Jimmy or Emily (yes, I know Jimmy hasn't shown us too much yet, but he does have experience in tournament golf- although mostly in 2012- and I still think he's better than he's shown us thus far). I just don't see Anthony or Toph as going much further. But then again, Fiamma had no business making the final match against Jackie last season. Agreed that this season just needs to wrap up quickly. It hasn't been too compelling. A couple weeks, I've just watched the hosts' wrap-up segment on the Golf Channel web site... on Thursday or Friday, because I forgot about the week's episode.

I still have no clue of how good Jimmy is or isn't. I think the producers were trying to pull a fast one with next week's previews about Charlie melting down.

What's In My Bag...

Has this season been boring because of the mixed female-male cast? Or just the lack of personalities?

I'd like to see a Charlie and Emily final.

Beyond Anthony, it seems everyone is just there to play golf and avoid conflict.  Anthony is such a strong personality that everyone aligned against him.  It could also be the producers decided to keep this show more about golf and avoid the reality tv drama.

Joe Paradiso

My first post since episode 2.......

My take:

Emily is the best lady golfer left...

Charlie has the best looking swing and looks to have the most game of the guys, but I am not convinced he is a competitor.  He acts more like a country club weekend golfer that can post some nice rounds from time to time while playing with his buddies.   Not a real competitor...

Anthony--he has a crazy home-made swing, but he has a fire in his belly and is there to win.  His attitude has made me a fan over recent weeks even though I agree he acts like a dik with no social grace.  He is the only cast member that makes this season of BB interesting.  I watch to see what the hell he does...................everybody else is boring as hell.  The other competitors and bland.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Whoa, calm down there sparky! You sure you wanna go out onto that limb???

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

[quote name="BuckeyeNut" url="/t/77518/big-break-myrtle-beach-fall-2014-golf-channel/60#post_1080191"]LOL...yea, best of 2!!  Hahaha

Lol .... I was thinking she was the only one remaining, but you're right there is that one other girl left still. I forgot, my bad.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I don't like "Toph". The name itself is irritating. His behavior is more so. I really wished he didn't get out of the elimination challenge. He is acting like he is so much better than the others but is not. Finally anyone who repeats a pet name for people incessantly has to go. I have heard him call people "bub", at least it sounds like that, more than 2-3 times a show. Terrible habit. Anthony seems to almost have a "Happy Gilmore" type swing. I could see where he would have some inconsistent shots. Charlie and Emily deserve the finale. Funny how some people get sucked into their own little world in such a short period of time.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I'd like to see an Anthony/Emily final. Toph seems like an arrogant/I know what's best for everyone type. Charlie, as mentioned above, seems like a country club type. I have no idea why people are so fond of Jimmy. He's done nothing special on the show. Both his elimination matches were jokes.

Christian

Note: This thread is 3339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!