IGNORED

Will Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

MS256
Note: This thread is 3442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will spreading of Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

• No.
    • Yes.

I think this kinda makes @Golfingdad's point. ISIS has yet to directly threaten anyone outside of Iraq and Syria. Reporters, diplomats, Soldiers, etc going to the region understand and assume the risk. That's not to say ISIS isn't a problem, just not a direct threat to folks shopping in Kansas City.

That's GD's point. Ebola is a huge threat to hospital workers treating Ebola patients. It remains to be seen whether a general panic is in order.

Got it, we should wait until another 9/11 or major epidemic occurs to take action.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Obama didn't think there was a reason to panic about ISIS in the past but look at where we are today.  I believe in pre-emptive efforts to avoid disasters before they require panic but we can agree to disagree.

Still no reason to panic over ISIS. How many people have they killed in America?

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Still no reason to panic over ISIS. How many people have they killed in America?

As long as Americans are being killed somewhere other than "in America", you're good with it?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

That's not to say ISIS isn't a problem, just not a direct threat to folks shopping in Kansas City.

Really?

How quickly we forget. SMH.

How many people did Al Queda kill in America before 9/11 2001?

They had nowhere near the resources that ISIS has but the same goals.

Got it, we should wait until another 9/11 or major epidemic occurs to take action.

I think the ISIS comparison is OT, but you brought it up.  I'll comment on it only because I think it exposes your anti-admin bias and colors your view of the Ebola issue.

Essentially, you're advocating that we spend hundreds of billions of dollars; kill 20-30k people; and allow another 3-5k American Soldiers, contractors, and other field support personnel to die.  And for this price we may or may not marginally reduce the chance that a few hundred to a few thousand Americans will be killed somewhere in some completely unrelated location, but only for the duration that we're willing to remain actively in combat in Iraq/Syria.  Further, we'll undertake this strategy with the full knowledge that it has no chance of permanently eliminating the threat.

Your logic sounds reasonable to me.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I'm not worried a bit. If I was a worrier I would have been an absolute train wreck for most of my life with the dangerous jobs I've had.

I do think if I was a doctor, and came back home after treating Ebola patients, I would care enough about my family and friends to stay fairly secluded for 21 days. I don't mind taking risks myself but I would never put my family at risk if I can avoid it...but that's just me.

My wife and I were talking about this last night, and we concluded that not all doctors are smart. :doh:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Really?

The difference is that we now know to take the intelligence seriously and respond to specific threats.  And I haven't forgotten anything.  I've spent a day or two in the Sunni Triangle--have you?  I was there the last time we defeated ISI, were you?

Kevin

I think the ISIS comparison is OT, but you brought it up.  I'll comment on it only because I think it exposes your anti-admin bias and colors your view of the Ebola issue.

Essentially, you're advocating that we spend hundreds of billions of dollars; kill 20-30k people; and allow another 3-5k American Soldiers, contractors, and other field support personnel to die.  And for this price we may or may not marginally reduce the chance that a few hundred to a few thousand Americans will be killed somewhere in some completely unrelated location, but only for the duration that we're willing to remain actively in combat in Iraq/Syria.  Further, we'll undertake this strategy with the full knowledge that it has no chance of permanently eliminating the threat.

Your logic sounds reasonable to me.

I asked for flight restrictions and we basically got it now.  Flights from countries with passengers potentially exposed to Ebola can only fly into certain airports that are properly equipped to handle infected people.  I'd have preferred those flight be restricted completely but I can live with this current scenario which is better than what most of you believed was required.

Joe Paradiso

I asked for flight restrictions and we basically got it now.  Flights from countries with passengers potentially exposed to Ebola can only fly into certain airports that are properly equipped to handle infected people.  I'd have preferred those flight be restricted completely but I can live with this current scenario which is better than what most of you believed was required.

Interestingly, Great Britain continues to have far greater restrictions than we do.

In David's bag....

I haven't been paying attention to this story lately.  We're still at 2 people infected in the US since this started in March, right?  And one of them has been given a clean bill of health?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Really?

Unfortunately, nobody was paying any attention to Al Qaeda then.

And this is the kind of stuff we need to avoid with Ebola, but irresponsible dopes like this can't help themselves. This guy will win an election in a runaway about 11 days from now.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/peter-king-slams-doctors-on-ebola-suggests-ebola-went-airbor

BTW, the second Dallas nurse is also free of Ebola as of today.

Bill M

Unfortunately, nobody was paying any attention to Al Qaeda then.

It wasn't that nobody was paying attention.  We knew they were a threat, but didn't believe they'd actually attack the US.  We saw the indicators but refused to believe it was serious.  Very similar to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Suffice it to say, we now take the intel seriously and vigilantly pursue domestic threats.

Kevin

Looks like somebody needs to start up an ISIS thread because we seem to be moving too far in that direction in this one.

Looks like somebody needs to start up an ISIS thread because we seem to be moving too far in that direction in this one.

That'd be a hoot.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

As long as Americans are being killed somewhere other than "in America", you're good with it?

Yep, that's clearly exactly what I said, was that I'm ok with it.

No need to panic =/= ok with it.

There are thousands of things I'm "not ok" with, that I don't panic about.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Gentlemen,

This is the Ebola thread.  All other topics are :offtopic: .  You can start another thread on those.  Sorry to have to moderate.

I spoke to my Doctor about the Ebola panic the media has created.  He is appalled at how it is being overblown by the media.  They need a new crisis all the time.  He mentioned that they forgot about enterovirus already and that has killed a lot of children.  He thinks they are being irresponsible, as usual.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I spoke to my Doctor about the Ebola panic the media has created.  He is appalled at how it is being overblown by the media.  They need a new crisis all the time.  He mentioned that they forgot about enterovirus already and that has killed a lot of children.  He thinks they are being irresponsible, as usual.

My sister is in charge of infectious disease control at a hospital in CA.  Her opinion is the same as boogie's doctor.  She said she has been getting a ton of calls from people convinced they have ebola, including someone who (falsely) claimed to have flown with the nurse from dallas.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Interesting.  My own doctor and 3 other close physician buddies all say that we're ill-prepared should Ebola get a foothold in the U.S.  Seems as if even the docs can't agree.  Given that, I'll continue to err on the side of caution.

They do however agree that most mainstream media is almost universally irresponsible. ;-)

It's also worth mentioning that by comparison, enterovirus has a very low mortality rate, whereas ebola is extremely high.

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 3442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!