IGNORED

The Julia Plan: A 5 Handicap in 5 Years

DrvFrShow
Note: This thread is 3338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has been shelved. I'm done for a while. I may have a stress fracture in my left tibia. It's at the top of the bone. I need to see the doctor. I've been treating it as patellar tendonitis, but the pain is not going away after rest. This was a nice thought, but it's a good thing this happened now and not in June. Rehab is a #@!!!

How did you do that? By practicing?

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

How did you do that? By practicing?

Yeah. It started out feeling like a shin splint, which I'm also prone to getting. It's on my lead leg in the swing in the Tibia Tuberosity area where the patellar tendon attaches. There's a little bump there that feels warm to touch. My suspicion is that it's caused by a rotational torque on the leg during the finishing move.

I've had patellar tendonitis on that knee before so I thought that's what it might be, and used my patellar band on it. I took a week off, and the symptoms went away. Then I started again slowly, and as I increased intensity and started working in my driver, the soreness kept getting worse. Now it's fairly constant. So I'm done. On Monday instead of a golf lesson, I get to make an appointment to see the doctor.

Injuries may limit my goal.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I figured out what caused the problem. I'm still waiting for the referral from my health care insurance for the orthopedist. It really behaves like a stress fracture so I'm assuming that.

What caused it is that my backswing puts a lot of rotational stress on my tibia. It's the way I moved my leg. It could have caused a little spiral crack in the outer layer of the bone. The time off is going to be both a good thing and a bad thing. Bad in that I can't groove a swing. Good in that I get to heal and get to forget some things.

My plan is now to:

1) Get healthy and rehab the leg.

2) Get with a new instructor and rebuild my golf swing from the ground up. I have to work around prior injuries and so I have to have someone who really understands biomechanics. I have found someone who does. You've also seen me posting Na Yeon Choi's swing a lot. I've been looking at that swing very closely, and she does not make that move with the leg, and seems to be in every one of the positions correctly, and does those 5 keys dead on. Her swing looks relaxed and if it can work for me it could be a swing for a lifetime. There's nothing flashy about it.

3) I'm expecting another painful year on the course, this time getting used to a new swing. I'm not expecting my distances to be as good as they were for a while, but life goes on. I'll just go around the course with the longest club my pro tells me to play. If he says we're up to a 5 iron, that's what I play. Barring total disaster, at least I'll be on the fairway.

Julia

Spoiler

DrvFrShow, what is your HI now?  Hitting 3W 200+ yards fairly accurate from women's tee? - I can't imagine your HI is still at 24.7 as is in your profile.   For a comparison, my wife hits 140 yards average drive (damn accurate though), never practices, doesn't have any desire to improve, but still carries 27 HI.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I haven't played a round since October 21st. Our GHIN reporting shuts down in November even though many courses are still playable in the area. It doesn't start up again until the last week in March. I've been practicing at the range, but that stopped the last week in January when my leg injury got bad. I'll see the orthopedist on Feb 20th.

I have not used a 3W from the Reds. When I hit my 5W and 3H from the reds I was more accurate, and should have stayed with it, but I kept going back to the big dog - even though I was outdriving the two single digit handicappers with my 17.5 FW. You can call me an idiot for not sticking with those two clubs.

I used my driver all last season. I just bought the 3W a few weeks ago ($119) and intend to start using it this year. I was amazed at the distance I was hitting it. The summer of 1970 I played from the end of May through October ... every day. I couldn't hit a driver then either, but I was scoring in the mid 90s. I used my 3W or 2 iron off the tee depending upon what I was hitting better. The driver always got me in trouble, so why hit it?

But now people tell me "you need to learn how to hit your driver." It's the most expensive club in the bag. I guess that's why I keep trying.

I may need a refit on my driver when I see my new coach. We'll see what he says. I should be hitting the driver 250 total, but I need accuracy with that otherwise it isn't worth my trouble. As I said in another post, I hit my friend's 13.5 G15 with a women's shaft and crushed it. I've done that every time I've hit her driver. I just may need more loft with my swing: a women's 13.5 (adj 10.5 - 13.5) head with a shaft upgrade to a 44.5" Aldila Tour Blue 65g or something like that in A or R flex.

I bet your wife's short game is killer, and she'd kick my butt inside 100 yds.

Look for my handicap to drop next season. So here's the front part of my set:

14.5* FW

17.5* FW

19.5* H

22.5* H

5i (25.5*)

One of my problems has been the shoulder dip on the takeaway. I saw a video that explained the takeaway recently and it was very simple. In practice I was trying to make the movement too slowly. So I grabbed a club, stood in front of the mirror and and put the club in A2, then went to A1. Then put the club in A3 with the club vertical. Then to A1. Then went from A1 to A2 quickly with my hands close. Then to A3. Then from A1 to A3 quickly. It was easy. I kept the clubhead on line and didn't shut the face like I'd been doing or dip the shoulder. What the coaches were trying to get me to do finally made sense.

Since I can't work on anything much I can work on my takeaway and my putting while I'm recovering.

Julia

Spoiler

I should be hitting the driver 250 total,

Julia:

You definitely have the passion to reach your goal....but are you not focusing on the wrong elements?

Is it realistic that a 62 year old woman who seems to have a new physical ailment every 3 weeks in the past 4 months to hit a driver 250 yards which is the "mean" distance of the best women golfers on the planet (LPGA tour) where many are in their 20's, have been fitted with the best equipment, some of the best instructors available, practice 6+ hrs/day, phenomenal ball striking, tournament golf proven, etc.

In 3 pages within this thread...... most discussion is about distance.

Don't get too involved what numbers you see on a simulator hitting off a mat....you'll find different results on the course....especially in the PNW ( I reside on Vancouver, BC).

Your goal is to be a 5 cap in 5 years....not how far you can hit the ball in 5 years.

Becoming a 5 cap is all about scoring.

What are the other parts of your game like?

What are your:

- Putts per round

- How many 3 putts per round?

- GIR

- Scrambling #'s....getting up and down.

- How is your green side and fairway bunker play like?

- Have you used impact tape...where are the majority of the misses on your club face and what have you done to correct them?

- How many shots are from penalty strokes.

- etc.

What are your 3 main weaknesses and what process you and your instructor developed to improve them?

What's your course management like?

I don't have to tell you that the quickest way to lower your cap is to focus on those shots/strokes within 50 yards of the hole.

Keep up your determination.....but whenever I've played with a single digit golfer who is over 60....they've all had solid short games.

Quiet! I'm in age denial! I'm a young 62. This last injury is the same injury as in December - it never got better. So there have only been two. The first one got better. And this one. I am suffering. It is sunny 62 degrees outside.

Putts per round - 35.

3 putts per round - 2

1 putts per round - 3

My short game is decent. During the summer months I spend time on the putting green. I spend time practicing chipping and spend time in the practice bunker. I'm not afraid of bunker shots. I can get out of a bunker in one shot: greenside I'll be on the green somewhere within 8 feet of the hole; and I can hit out of a fairway bunker without a problem (usually use a 4H) unless there's a tree in the way, then I have to pitch it onto the fairway. I can't give you exact statistics like you asked, but this is why my HC dropped 13 strokes last year. So this is not where my effort is this year. I'll practice, but not focus.

Dr Scholl's foot powder spray works well for "impact tape". Plus I know what a thin hit feels like (ouch). I also know what a toe hit (slap) and inside hit (thok) feels like - as well as the difference in sound. Good hit (clack). It's identifying what is going on for a given day. Also note that not all driving ranges have mirrors. So you don't always have access to one. Not all driving ranges have room to set up a camera or a place to set up your phone, so you have to go by ball path and check where you are in your swing. You'll make mistakes. And some days you'll make more than others. Some days it's best to cut the session short. If you're having a good session .... groove it, and quit when you start thinking "I'm getting tired" before you start hitting bad shots due to fatigue.

Course management? Um, this could be better. I try shots sometimes that I have no business trying... because sometimes they work, and other times I get burned. Like hitting that 5W going for the green in 2 on that par 5 and ending up greenside in thick wet rough, but that other time ending up on the green instead of laying up with my 4H.

A lot of times I'm having to take a drop from under a bush or tree alongside a fairway from my drive. This adds a stroke automatically. OR I've been in a position where said tree has been in line with the green and I've had to hit a chip shot back onto the fairway which essentially is a penalty stroke added to the score.

Quote:
What are your 3 main weaknesses and what process you and your instructor developed to improve them?

This is why I'm starting with a new instructor. I've identified two of my weaknesses. The previous instructor really never did. I wasn't making progress much in the way of progress. I interviewed my future instructor on Friday, and the funny thing was I know him. I just didn't know who he was. He's seen me swing. He's seen me hit the ball. He thinks my injuries are caused by improper technique, and he believes with my length and strength I should be crushing the ball off the tee once I learn proper swing mechanics. And he knows he can help me straighten out my shots. He uses video and a launch monitor as well as lessons on the course once things get ingrained. He's coached a couple of other golfers whom I know who got very good afterward.

So there you have it. I've got my appt with the orthopedist on Friday, and we'll find out what's going on. What I can do. When I can start swinging a club again. And go from there.

I'm looking forward to starting up again with this new coach. I told him that my lesson with him will be the first swings I'll be taking.

Julia

Spoiler

Julia:

Yes...it was gorgeous outside....similar weather here In Vancouver.

So I assume you live somewhere near Seattle?

Approx how many greens do you hit in regulation in an average round?

How's your chipping and pitching?.....approx what percent do you get up and down from around the green?

So if you're going to tell me to work on my short game, you don't have to do that. I practice my short game. You don't know this but I have no life. See, I don't have the money to play every day, but I don't have anything to do in the afternoon and when it's sunny out, I don't mind spending an hour chipping and a half hour in the bunker. That stuff is free. I have a shag bag filled with balls that survived a round or that I found on the course. No one is there between 1 pm and 3 pm. So don't worry. My short game doesn't get neglected. Neither does my putting.

In fact, since I can putt I went and putted today. I also worked on chipping. That's no stress either. :-P

Julia

Spoiler

So if you're going to tell me to work on my short game, you don't have to do that. I practice my short game. You don't know this but I have no life. See, I don't have the money to play every day, but I don't have anything to do in the afternoon and when it's sunny out, I don't mind spending an hour chipping and a half hour in the bunker. That stuff is free. I have a shag bag filled with balls that survived a round or that I found on the course. No one is there between 1 pm and 3 pm. So don't worry. My short game doesn't get neglected. Neither does my putting.

In fact, since I can putt I went and putted today. I also worked on chipping. That's no stress either.

So it seems like you have a pretty solid short game.

So I assume your ball striking is quite inconsistent.

I'm surprised a lady who has the ability to drive a ball 230 yards and a 6 iron up to 165 yards with a fairly sound short game would have a 24.7 handicap.

I'd be interested in hearing what the doctor says about your injury. Hope it's not a stress fracture or the like. Like Mr22putt says, if you work on ball striking and hitting GIR, a 5 hcp should be no problem. Keep the ball in play and around the green. I have a 5 hcp or less and I putt like crap. Or al least I used to. I've really worked on my putting and saw some fantastic results last time out.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I'm surprised a lady who has the ability to drive a ball 230 yards and a 6 iron up to 165 yards with a fairly sound short game would have a 24.7 handicap.

My problem is that 230 yds has a +8 degree variation to the right. I'm usually doing one of the following after a drive: taking a penalty stroke; hitting a blind shot over a short fir tree with an 8 or 9 iron; hitting a chip shot out from behind a tree back onto the fairway. Except on about 4 holes. On those I'll connect well, it'll go straight, and I'll par. Compensate for the slice - I've pulled the shot. :doh: Irons I hit a draw.

Like I've said, this year if the driver misbehaves, it is staying in the bag. I don't need it. I have a 3W now and that has a 5 degree spread. I lose about 15 yds, but the ball should be playable much more often.

We'll see what the orthopedist says Friday, and I can't wait to start with this coach.

Julia

Spoiler

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr22putt

My problem is that 230 yds has a +8 degree variation to the right. I'm usually doing one of the following after a drive: taking a penalty stroke; hitting a blind shot over a short fir tree with an 8 or 9 iron; hitting a chip shot out from behind a tree back onto the fairway. Except on about 4 holes. On those I'll connect well, it'll go straight, and I'll par. Compensate for the slice - I've pulled the shot. Irons I hit a draw.

Like I've said, this year if the driver misbehaves, it is staying in the bag. I don't need it. I have a 3W now and that has a 5 degree spread. I lose about 15 yds, but the ball should be playable much more often.

We'll see what the orthopedist says Friday, and I can't wait to start with this coach.

Statistically speaking, having the ability to hit 230 (driver) + 165 (6i) gives you the ability to hit a lot of greens with shorter irons, even from the male tees. 395 yards is usually a longer hole for even a male 10-15 handicap (which is like a female 5?).

To be honest 8 degrees is not that bad and is still only about 32 yards right. Just aim more left. I also average about 30-35 putts per round with some 3 putts, but I'm usually nearer the green than you seem to be.

I would say work on your iron game, putting won't help that much unless your chipping is really good anyway. Further, you can't get a good chip unless you get close to the greens, like 15 yards or closer. It really doesn't take that much to hit a green within 15 yards. As an example, my iron game is not all that great either, but I have the ability to shoot a lot lower because of what little mediocre iron play I have that usually gets me within 15 yards.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I bet your wife's short game is killer, and she'd kick my butt inside 100 yds.

Since I bought her a chipper, she became deadly with it.    This thing is pretty accurate, and easy to master.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Right now all I can do is chipping and putting, so I might as well work on that until the leg gets the go ahead. I'm not going to waste these nice days.

I'm sure the new coach is going to have me working with my 6 or 7 iron for a bit while we're working out the kinks in my swing.

Julia

Spoiler

Wish you the best with your health and your 5 hcp goal. I'm curious why you chose 5. Are you planning to play a USGA amateur event in 5 years? You need a 5.4 and you can qualify to enter the U.S. Women's Amateur.

Wish you the best with your health and your 5 hcp goal.

I'm curious why you chose 5. Are you planning to play a USGA amateur event in 5 years? You need a 5.4 and you can qualify to enter the U.S. Women's Amateur.

Just because it sounded good. Five in five. I'm retired and I'm playing for my own enjoyment. I couldn't keep up with any of the women in the US Women's Amateur. They're young . Getting past the qualifiers is brutal in itself, and some of those women are shooting gross scores of 70. And it's a week long event. Make it past day one stroke play and it's match play for the rest of the week. Ouch. I'm 62. I need to take days of rest. And unlike local tournaments, they will drug test.

I played for six months every day when I was 17. I learned the basic swing motion. I practiced. I broke 90. I'm fairly athletic. I'm quite athletic for my age, despite my injured state at the moment.

I picked 5 in 5 because I think I can do it. It's a challenge.

You know, I know my limitations. TBH, I'm going to be lucky to get to 5. I'll probably end up at around an 8 or 9. Is that a failure? No. I could still enjoy playing the game and enjoy with less frustration than I have now. But why is it that people say I'm limiting myself by saying 5 in 5? I'll be 65 when I get there. It's about being realistic. After then in all likelihood it isn't going to get better. I'll have to train harder to stay in shape to keep my distance. Then I have to remember the old woman at the gym who used to come in daily and weight train - she was 97 and they were pretty serious weights.

• Upvote 1

Julia

Spoiler

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres9

Wish you the best with your health and your 5 hcp goal.

I'm curious why you chose 5. Are you planning to play a USGA amateur event in 5 years? You need a 5.4 and you can qualify to enter the U.S. Women's Amateur.

Just because it sounded good. Five in five. I'm retired and I'm playing for my own enjoyment. I couldn't keep up with any of the women in the US Women's Amateur. They're young. Getting past the qualifiers is brutal in itself, and some of those women are shooting gross scores of 70. And it's a week long event. Make it past day one stroke play and it's match play for the rest of the week. Ouch. I'm 62. I need to take days of rest. And unlike local tournaments, they will drug test.

I played for six months every day when I was 17. I learned the basic swing motion. I practiced. I broke 90. I'm fairly athletic. I'm quite athletic for my age, despite my injured state at the moment.

I picked 5 in 5 because I think I can do it. It's a challenge.

You know, I know my limitations. TBH, I'm going to be lucky to get to 5. I'll probably end up at around an 8 or 9. Is that a failure? No. I could still enjoy playing the game and enjoy with less frustration than I have now. But why is it that people say I'm limiting myself by saying 5 in 5? I'll be 65 when I get there. It's about being realistic. After then in all likelihood it isn't going to get better. I'll have to train harder to stay in shape to keep my distance. Then I have to remember the old woman at the gym who used to come in daily and weight train - she was 97 and they were pretty serious weights.

I was at Los Angeles women's amateur event a few years ago.   Everyone but one or two woman looked to be a teenager.   They all looked to be serious (have their eyes set on bigger things).   Some came with their father as caddy/coach.   I think the winner's score for the two day rounds was in low 70s.   Anyway, I think I will copy DFS' goal and go for 5 in 5 myself.   I will have to quit my job, I think.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!