IGNORED

My Preferences (If Forced!)

iacas
Note: This thread is 3439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

An "open" stance is one that, for a righty, is left of parallel to the target line.

Target (x) -->        x

Stance line ->  \  |

It will probably not fix your slice. I simply prefer, gun to my head, that people err on the side of being a little too open rather than a little too closed.

Tough to say. I recommend you create and maintain a My Swing thread.

OUTward is swinging OUT to the right (for a righty). It's OUTward because it's away from your body. INward is swinging left, and that's IN toward your body.

The link to golf terminology in my signature has more.

If COTT is "coming over the top" then that's creating an INward swing direction. It's where the clubhead is going near impact, not where it goes at the top of the backswing.

Thanks a lot for all the information!! I´ll think about the option of create a My Swing thread, but it make me feel a bit ashamed .... :8)

:nike:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

This has become one of my favorite subjects lately. Lean more towards a Sweep release or Snap release?

I can't say I care for one over the other at all. And it's not always what you think, too, like "big strong guys should snap release" or something. Jason Zuback was a sweep release.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This has become one of my favorite subjects lately. Lean more towards a Sweep release or Snap release?

Start with getting it inline and go from there ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Start with getting it inline and go from there

Thanks. Should I interpret that as: once you get it inline, snap or sweep should not be a conscious preference? Sorry, I have never really paid any attention to my downswing until I started to study and implement 5SK so your insight will help. While I try to be stupid monkey as much as I can I do tend to think that motion type (eg. snap/sweep) thought (only tech. thought) through the ball helps me map my entire swing better.

Vishal S.

Thanks. Should I interpret that as: once you get it inline, snap or sweep should not be a conscious preference?

Basically yes, getting it inline would be the priority rather than focusing on the "style" of the release.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Club Face Alignment

Aside from "preferring" that people align the clubface near their intended start line (left of target for a fade, right of target for a draw), I don't have a preference here. Sorry.

I had a lesson a while back from a guy who was completely adamant that your club face must be perfectly perpendicular to your target line if you want to hit a straight shot. While this makes sense, is this that important? Your answer to "club face alignment" seems to indicate there may be room for deviation. I understand that a club face wide open or closed is stupid unless you are trying for a fade or draw, but I tend to let the face open a tad unconsciously.

Style of grip Overlap, Interlock, 10 finger, Split?

I would use interlock if forced to.

I do have more accuracy with 10 finger though.

I can't get comfortable with overlap.

The style of grip is personal preference. What's important is the placement of the grip in the hands and for it to "err" on the stronger side.

I had a lesson a while back from a guy who was completely adamant that your club face must be perfectly perpendicular to your target line if you want to hit a straight shot. While this makes sense, is this that important? Your answer to "club face alignment" seems to indicate there may be room for deviation. I understand that a club face wide open or closed is stupid unless you are trying for a fade or draw, but I tend to let the face open a tad unconsciously.

Yeah if you wanted to hit a straight shot, which nobody really does, then you would aim the face at the target. If you fade it, you should aim the face left of your intended target (righty) and right if you draw the ball. Aim the face on your start line, not at the target.

Mike McLoughlin

The style of grip is personal preference. What's important is the placement of the grip in the hands and for it to "err" on the stronger side.

Yeah if you wanted to hit a straight shot, which nobody really does, then you would aim the face at the target. If you fade it, you should aim the face left of your intended target (righty) and right if you draw the ball. Aim the face on your start line, not at the target.

I think my New Year's Resolution after getting a bit more consistent with some fundamental swing mechanics is to learn ball flight laws better. I've read your other threads here, and I think the start line/target line thing hasn't really gone from the classroom to the course, if you know what I mean. I think when I say my face is slightly open that might not be terrible because the start line is usually supposed to be out a bit and not perfectly straight, no? Anyway, thanks.

• Administrator

I think my New Year's Resolution after getting a bit more consistent with some fundamental swing mechanics is to learn ball flight laws better. I've read your other threads here, and I think the start line/target line thing hasn't really gone from the classroom to the course, if you know what I mean. I think when I say my face is slightly open that might not be terrible because the start line is usually supposed to be out a bit and not perfectly straight, no? Anyway, thanks.

The ball starts mostly where the face is pointing, and curves away from the path.

That's really about all there is to it. Shouldn't take you too long to learn.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What about shaft length? Im 6 foot 5 and fitters have suggested between 1 inch and 1.5 inches longer. Is longer better due to higher swing speed and possibility of grabbing down on the club?

What about shaft length? Im 6 foot 5 and fitters have suggested between 1 inch and 1.5 inches longer. Is longer better due to higher swing speed and possibility of grabbing down on the club?

What I mean is: Should I choose 1.5 inch longer over 1 inch regarding these two suggestions?

What I mean is: Should I choose 1.5 inch longer over 1 inch regarding these two suggestions?

What about going 1.25 inches longer? Personally I would err on the shorter side but it's tough to say what you should do because it's a personal preference thing. I can say that you won't pick up any noticeable speed by going .5" longer.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
What about going 1.25 inches longer? Personally I would err on the shorter side but it's tough to say what you should do because it's a personal preference thing. I can say that you won't pick up any noticeable speed by going .5" longer.

Or go longer and try to grip down a tad.

@iacas really interesting thread!  Any way you could do something like this around launch monitor numbers?  Obviously everyone is a little bit different but would it be possible to put something together on what kind of numbers you would be looking to produce (based around an average speed swing) for things like launch angle, spin, peak height...etc for driver, 3 wood, 4i, 6i, 8i, and pw?  Could be useful to know what is too spinny/not spinning enough, too low, or launching too high or low when buying clubs/hitting balls into a net where the only way to know what the ball is doing is through the launch monitor numbers.  This would be especially helpful if the person selling the clubs doesn't understand the numbers themselves and cant explain them to you.  Having a launch monitor there doesnt really help all that much if you dont know what is good/bad.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

Note: This thread is 3439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!