IGNORED

Why Flaring Your Feet at Address Makes Golf Easier

mvmac

So not receiving a 10 minute explanation on the benefits of flaring the trail foot means what? That you didn't decide to do it? That it hurt your game? That you ditched it after "trying it" for a month? I didn't see your analysis but I doubt it was "blind advice". The Evolvr guys are really good at what they do and they didn't just "make up" that you needed to flare your feet. I told you to do the same thing twice. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/57543/my-swing-pumaattack#post_705161]http://thesandtrap.com/t/57543/my-swing-pumaattack#post_705161[/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/57543/my-swing-pumaattack#post_977475]http://thesandtrap.com/t/57543/my-swing-pumaattack#post_977475[/URL] I'm also sure they gave you some reason it would help their game. Just in this thread we had to repeat ourselves several times in order for you to "get it".  Also this.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/67401/the-virtue-of-being-a-stupid-monkey-and-how-it-can-help-your-golf-game layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

The analysis was "you have your feet flared. Flare them and your knees more." No explanation of the reasons or any benefits to this increased flare. It was a poor explanation of why I should be doing something I already was too an extent. Go ahead and watch my Analysis. There is not one single line of benefit statements. I have tried it at the range since and I am sticking with it as I trust you guys but just wish your instructors put as much effort into their work as you do.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

• Administrator
The analysis was "you have your feet flared. Flare them and your knees more." No explanation of the reasons or any benefits to this increased flare. It was a poor explanation of why I should be doing something I already was too an extent.

That's not entirely correct. He pointed out that your left foot spins out currently and it will help lessen that tendency.

It's off topic for this thread, though, so let's leave it at that. I'll leave you with this: http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've not only been flaring the feet a little, but adding a touch of outward pressure at the knees, I'm not certain if it's the right thing to do, but so far it seems to be working well.

I've not only been flaring the feet a little, but adding a touch of outward pressure at the knees, I'm not certain if it's the right thing to do, but so far it seems to be working well.

Yeah the "riding a horse", bowed out knees feeling is fine.

As long as it doesn't end up looking like this ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yeah the "riding a horse", bowed out knees feeling is fine.

As long as it doesn't end up looking like this

Well that all depends on what you are working on! :-P

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

• 3 months later...

Thank you so much for this. I came online specifically to look at this topic and found your article. I have battled my whole life to keep my feet squared when I have pretty profoundly flared or duck feet naturally. The sliding front foot has always compromised my accuracy as it is impossible to know at what exact moment the slip would occur. Can't wait to get out onto the range, let my feet get into their natural positions and see how it all feels. If this is a position that actually has benefits instead of drawbacks, this could make my swing so much more consistent and reliable. Thanks again!

Edited by blazersunited

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, tried this out yesterday at the range because my feet were not flared at all. But when I do flare my feet I feel some pain/tension at the inside of my left thigh and at my knee when rotating backwards. Is this something you guys also experienced at the beginning and does it stop after a while? It feels easier to move my weight forward and let my lower body lead the swing this way, but it isn't very nice to feel some pain during the swing;-).

Edited by DutchGolf
typo

2 hours ago, DutchGolf said:

Hi everyone, tried this out yesterday at the range because my feet were not flared at all. But when I do flare my feet I feel some pain/tension at the inside of my left thigh and at my knee when rotating backwards. Is this something you guys also experienced at the beginning and does it stop after a while? It feels easier to move my weight forward and let my lower body lead the swing this way, but it isn't very nice to feel some pain during the swing;-).

I didn't get that when I first tried it. It actually helped my knee. I have arthritis under my knee caps. I would recommend doing it slowly had first, so you can get used to it. How is your flexibility in your legs?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

28 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I didn't get that when I first tried it. It actually helped my knee. I have arthritis under my knee caps. I would recommend doing it slowly had first, so you can get used to it. How is your flexibility in your legs?

Yeah it surprised me too that I had this feeling, I would say that my flexibility in my legs is at least average, as I am 22 years old and also play soccer. Can overswing/over-rotating cause it?

Edited by DutchGolf

Just now, DutchGolf said:

Yeah it surprised me too that I had this feeling, I would say that my flexibility in my legs is at least average, as I am 22 years old and also play soccer. Can overswing/over-rotating cause it?

Not sure. If you film your swing and post it, the cause may be easier to see.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

29 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Not sure. If you film your swing and post it, the cause may be easier to see.

Yes thats true, thanks. Lets convince the girl that it is necessary to come along to the range :-P. Will also try to do it slow, maybe it takes some time for me to get used to it.

Some others that had problems implementing this?

• Administrator
6 hours ago, DutchGolf said:

Sounds like you were swaying, possibly quite a bit. That's easier to do with "square feet" and less easy (i.e. you'll feel tension) with flared feet.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 hours ago, iacas said:

Sounds like you were swaying, possibly quite a bit. That's easier to do with "square feet" and less easy (i.e. you'll feel tension) with flared feet.

This could very well be the cause, tried it at home without clubs in front of a mirror, making sways on purpose and thereafter trying to really think about rotating and prevent swaying. When I was swaying, I feel the tension, while when I am not swaying I hardly feel anything. Now lets try to teach myself a swing without a sway, which is probably going to be a long and frustrating route. Thanks for the help!

That's the one part of the S&T Swing I just couldn't ever get used to ... splaying my feet just feels strange.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

16 minutes ago, inthehole said:

That's the one part of the S&T Swing I just couldn't ever get used to ... splaying my feet just feels strange.

I think every positive change I made to my swing -- at every point since I took my first lesson -- felt strange when I was trying it.  It's the bad ones where I felt they were natural on first attempt. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, inthehole said:

May seem weird at first but it works for A LOT of players. Common fault for many golfers is to sway their hips back and this is one of the best things you can do to combat that. Just makes the hip turn/knee linkage much easier. 

Players flared their feet well before S&T.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Other than catching myself forgetting to do it sometimes because it's still not ingrained, it's felt pretty natural after a few swings. I do have to practice my alignment more in the coming weeks because the lack of a straight back foot has been getting me aiming farther right than I would like.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball