IGNORED

Wow, Tiger got Dissed by Dan Jenkins?

Gunther
Note: This thread is 3379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I predict the next thing we see from Jenkins is an apology. He's endured 2 days of siege. He's learning what he's done and how it's hurt him.

I don't. I think he is stubborn. Plus his journalist peers are sticking up for him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I predict the next thing we see from Jenkins is an apology. He's endured 2 days of siege. He's learning what he's done and how it's hurt him.

Ha. Good one.

You might have better odds that the 5 feet of snow that hit Buffalo, NY this week would hit Phoenix next week than you would of getting Dan Jenkins to capitulate to the Tiger Woods fan club. The man is 85 and has been writing for 65 of those years. He has covered a lot of sports in that lifetime. And he well respected enough that many of his peers have deemed him one of the best sports writers in America. But the real reason he won't capitulate is that he and his daughter Sally Jenkins, another Award Winning Sports writer for the Washington Post, have been attacked by groups far more formidable than the Tiger Woods fan club, and those groups got nowhere with these two writers, their journalist peers, or their employers.

Some of those groups have tried mightily to knock these two down, and they have failed. Given the subject matter is obvious satire, what makes you think Tiger Woods and his fans are going to fare any better?

Ha. Good one.  You might have better odds that the 5 feet of snow that hit Buffalo, NY this week would hit Phoenix next week than you would of getting Dan Jenkins to capitulate to the Tiger Woods fan club. The man is 85 and has been writing for 65 of those years. He has covered a lot of sports in that lifetime. And he well respected enough that many of his peers have deemed him one of the best sports writers in America. But the real reason he won't capitulate is that he and his daughter Sally Jenkins, another Award Winning Sports writer for the Washington Post, have been attacked by groups far more formidable than the Tiger Woods fan club, and those groups got nowhere with these two writers, their journalist peers, or their employers. Some of those groups have tried mightily to knock these two down, and they have failed. Given the subject matter is obvious satire, what makes you think Tiger Woods and his fans are going to fare any better?

Because I think people at his age think of their legacy and I think he's aware this has hurt it. I could be wrong but I do believe an apology will be forthcoming.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Because I think people at his age think of their legacy and I think he's aware this has hurt it. I could be wrong but I do believe an apology will be forthcoming.

His daughter has had organizations far more organized and powerful than Tiger Woods fans to contend with over the years. She doesn't care. Her father won't care either.

You might want to re think your position. But maybe not. No biggie either way, but I think you'll find out he has every intention of ignoring (or satirizing) those who want to make this story bigger than what it is.

Don't think for a minute that I am justifying what he did (like some here will be wont to do). But you have to know who Dan Jenkins is before you can make that statement. Here are some quotes from him from an interview in 2001:

On making fun of players - Am I supposed to care? No, seriously, I've never worried much about who can take a joke. Arnold used to laugh, but maybe he didn't get it in the first place. I've enjoyed some friendly give and take with Jack and Crenshaw, guys like Weiskopf, Trevino, Jerry Pate. Some others. Until today's era of rich, spoiled brats, players sort of respected you more if you dragged them down to your level.... David Ogrin called me "a hostile voice from a previous era." He nailed me. I can laugh at all that. It's very funny. I can also get even, by the way--I've got the word processor.

On player relationship with the press - Unfortunately they don't have to do anything. The money is there, and they've got the saps on TV--everybody but Johnny Miller--telling America that every shot they hit is wonderful and every course they play is magnificent.

A smart young player out there would know to make friends with the print press. Print guys want them to become heroes, want to understand them better. Players should open up more with print, find out who to trust, establish relationships with the good writers at all the tour stops.

He also said this about Tiger in 2001 - I never thought I'd ever see a greater shotmaker than Hogan or a greater winner than Nicklaus, but I have. It's Tiger. Not that I still wouldn't want Ben to get the drive in the fairway for me for my life. But Tiger makes all those other slugs out there today look like they don't even know how to play. We're talking about a truly remarkable athlete here. Something the game has never seen. Only two things can stop Tiger--injury or a bad marriage.

Pretty prescient, IMO. I'm sure he wishes he had a better relationship with Tiger, but he's known for some time that it wasn't happening so he has ceased to care. He's not apologizing to anybody.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

phan, is right. Dan Jenkins will keel over laughing at the Tiger fans before he'd apologize for writing satire. The only thing he need apologize for is perhaps not making it even funnier.

And if Tiger's fans want to add Jenkins to their already lengthy list of alleged haters, he'll probably laugh at that too. Might even devote a few sarcastic column inches devoted to his entry into the ever growing club.

phan, is right. Dan Jenkins will keel over laughing at the Tiger fans before he'd apologize for writing satire. The only thing he need apologize for is perhaps not making it even funnier. And if Tiger's fans want to add Jenkins to their already lengthy list of alleged haters, he'll probably laugh at that too. Might even devote a few sarcastic column inches devoted to his entry into the ever growing club.

Sounds like an A1 douchebag. Funny I never realized it, the media idolizes him. More reason to not trust them, as if I needed more ammo.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9iron

phan, is right. Dan Jenkins will keel over laughing at the Tiger fans before he'd apologize for writing satire. The only thing he need apologize for is perhaps not making it even funnier.

And if Tiger's fans want to add Jenkins to their already lengthy list of alleged haters, he'll probably laugh at that too. Might even devote a few sarcastic column inches devoted to his entry into the ever growing club.

Sounds like an A1 douchebag. Funny I never realized it, the media idolizes him. More reason to not trust them, as if I needed more ammo.

Agree.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/11/20/feherty-on-tiger-jenkins-mean-spirited-satire.html

Ryan Lavner sums up David Feherty's appearance on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday where the CBS/Golf Channel funnyman who once dubbed Monty "Mrs. Doubtfire" suggestsDan Jenkins was mean-spirited in his column. (I haven't even begun to crack open his wonderful books where skewering takes place...sentence by sentence!).

Anyway, from Lavner's report:

“I think I would be upset,” Feherty said on the “Dan Patrick Show”. “It was mean-spirited and not particularly funny.”

On Tuesday, Woods penned an impassioned response to the parody, which he described as a “grudge-fueled piece of character assassination.”

He does go on to criticize Woods for not being good at representing himself well but is otherwise very much in Tiger's camp on this one.

Lavner posts the full clip of the appearance recorded in advance of Patrick taping an appearance on Feherty, set for airing in December.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Don't hold your breath. At age 85.....I highly doubt he going to start apologizing to anyone. Writers just don't do that, no matter how upsetting some people  mistakenly take it. Salmon Rushdie ( satanic versus) he never apologized for what he wrote, even with death threats and bounties on his head.  Has anyone from Saturday night live apologized for their ridicule of presidents- for that matter has any president or public figure that was ridiculed on Saturday night live, National lampoon, the onion, National enquirer or the British press ever wrote a letter like Tigers?

I can't think of any.......The best news Tiger got this week, is all the women coming out against Bill Cosby. His handlers are probably saying "there is a god"! :dance:

or the British press ever wrote a letter like Tigers?

We've certainly seen complaints, most recently into the hacking of mobile telephone voice messages of course (God alive knows how Tiger would react to that!), but this type of article is pretty much run of the mill tabloid newspaper material and wouldn't provoke a response normally. We see examples of it almost daily, or to qualify that, comment pieces with a bitchy edge to them. It would really be a non issue lost in the swamp of articles competing for the same readership. Probably register 2 out of 10 on the tabloid Richter Scale (if that). A vast majority of respondents wouldn't get sucked into a war of words with a tabloid though (you've got nowhere to go with it other than adding to their sales). If there's a factual inaccuracy they'll occasionally challenge it and get a retraction (usually published on a middle to back page in small print at the bottom in a crossword clue!). If there's a serious allegation it can result in legal action (newspapers tend to lose these, but they don't give the impression of bothering that much - pay the fine and move onto the next target).

We'd just regard it as a non issue, and not a particularly well written piece. Celebs, politicians, sports people, and members of the royal family endure much worse than this. America doesn't have a tabloid cult (you're lucky) but it's mildly bewildering looking at the reaction all round

We've certainly seen complaints, most recently into the hacking of mobile telephone voice messages of course (God alive knows how Tiger would react to that!), but this type of article is pretty much run of the mill tabloid newspaper material and wouldn't provoke a response normally. We see examples of it almost daily, or to qualify that, comment pieces with a bitchy edge to them. It would really be a non issue lost in the swamp of articles competing for the same readership. Probably register 2 out of 10 on the tabloid Richter Scale (if that). A vast majority of respondents wouldn't get sucked into a war of words with a tabloid though (you've got nowhere to go with it other than adding to their sales). If there's a factual inaccuracy they'll occasionally challenge it and get a retraction (usually published on a middle to back page in small print at the bottom in a crossword clue!). If there's a serious allegation it can result in legal action (newspapers tend to lose these, but they don't give the impression of bothering that much - pay the fine and move onto the next target).

We'd just regard it as a non issue, and not a particularly well written piece. Celebs, politicians, sports people, and members of the royal family endure much worse than this. America doesn't have a tabloid cult (you're lucky) but it's mildly bewildering looking at the reaction all round

The difference is Golf Digest isn't marketed as a tabloid, though maybe that's what it is becoming.  If the Enquirer ran the article it would likely have been handled differently by Tiger and his team.

Joe Paradiso

I Googled "Dan Jenkins" just now. Then hit "More News on Dan Jenkins". No need to copy and paste the links. Suffice it to say, Tiger's attempt

to take down Jenkins has failed. I'm sure he'll try to re ignite his little tempest in a tea pot at his upcoming event at Wyndermere, but outside

the personalities on The Golf Channel, and likely for not more than a day, it will go nowhere.

Tiger should take a lesson from Nick Faldo and Phil Mickelson. The former, being rode hard by the Brits for a decade - who can forget

"Nick FOLD-O", took it all in stride. The latter persecuted for not winning majors and, gasp, being flabby, showed uncommon grace.

As public figures they demonstrated class in the face of withering ridicule.

Will Tiger ever learn?

I find his article to be rather poor from a literary standard. I think most seniors in high school prep would be capable of producing a similar piece. Perhaps his time has come and gone. I think GD should have noticed this subpar bit of literature and given it the axe instead of printing it.

We've certainly seen complaints, most recently into the hacking of mobile telephone voice messages of course (God alive knows how Tiger would react to that!), but this type of article is pretty much run of the mill tabloid newspaper material and wouldn't provoke a response normally. We see examples of it almost daily, or to qualify that, comment pieces with a bitchy edge to them. It would really be a non issue lost in the swamp of articles competing for the same readership. Probably register 2 out of 10 on the tabloid Richter Scale (if that). A vast majority of respondents wouldn't get sucked into a war of words with a tabloid though (you've got nowhere to go with it other than adding to their sales). If there's a factual inaccuracy they'll occasionally challenge it and get a retraction (usually published on a middle to back page in small print at the bottom in a crossword clue!). If there's a serious allegation it can result in legal action (newspapers tend to lose these, but they don't give the impression of bothering that much - pay the fine and move onto the next target).  We'd just regard it as a non issue, and not a particularly well written piece. Celebs, politicians, sports people, and members of the royal family endure much worse than this. America doesn't have a tabloid cult (you're lucky) but it's mildly bewildering looking at the reaction all round

. Celebs, politicians, sports people, and members of the royal family endure much worse than this. America doesn't have a tabloid cult (you're lucky) but it's mildly bewildering looking at the reaction all round Agreed, We will likely never be able to prove it, but something tells me this was a directive right from Tiger to his " handlers" to write that piece, against thier professional suggestions

• Administrator

Just stopped by to read the comments on the Golf Digest page following this "article."

I would say that roughly 4 of 5 are negative toward Dan Jenkins.

These significantly weaken the argument that it was a bad or stupid thing for Tiger to do and that it would only hurt him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

These significantly weaken the argument that it was a bad or stupid thing for Tiger to do and that it would only hurt him.

Yeah that was an argument a lot of journalists were trying to make defending Jenkins. I don't buy it, Tiger did the right thing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Seriously? The entire point of the fake interview was that tiger woods is cold, unfriendly, inaccessible, and generally thin-skinnned and surrounded by a disingenuous PR machine. Tiger's response confirmed all of the above. Lastly, how many of you read Jenkins' article before Tiger "responded" to it? Probably not many, because it was not funny and an overall poor attempt at satire. The irrelevance of the entire piece prior to Tiger's response merely drives home all of its points.

In My Bag:

:tmade: 9.5˚ Rocketballz | :callaway: 15˚ X-Hot 3 Wood :tmade: ran TP (3-PW) | :vokey: Vokey 52˚ & 56˚ | :odyssey: White Smoke MC-72 

Note: This thread is 3379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!