IGNORED

Wow, Tiger got Dissed by Dan Jenkins?

Gunther
Note: This thread is 3378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And you most probably would never have heard about it if Tiger hadn't got his panties in a wad about it. THAT's become the story, not a poorly conceived satirical piece that didn't even have a link to the internet until this. I read it a week ago when I got the magazine and forgot about it a minute later.

If your interested in golf at all you would have heard about the article.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Come on, guys. It’s SATIRE.

Satire should be funny. This just seemed like an ugly agenda.

Like someone else said, if the Onion had done it...it would have been hilarious.

Golf Digest failed.

• Upvote 1

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

If your interested in golf at all you would have heard about the article.

I don't know about that.  I've only heard of it because of the thread on here and the thread on here was only created after Tiger's reaction to the article.

After reading a few of the newer posts, and reading the Christine Brennan article that @The Recreational Golfer posted, I'm tending to lean towards the "He probably should've just left it alone" camp.  I think nobody would've paid much attention to it and it would have just gone away.  This way, he assures that it gets tons more readers than it was going to get.

I'm assuming that his reaction wasn't based on what was being said about him but rather who it was being said by.

Someone may have posted the interview already in this thread, if you haven't read it, here it is.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2014-12/dan-jenkins-fake-interview-with-tiger

It was definitely a low blow, satire or not. Constantly bringing up the divorce, Tiger's apparent "weak field" when he was winning majors.

Dan Jenkins is a f*cking prick.

I hope GD apologizes for this BS.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Someone may have posted the interview already in this thread, if you haven't read it, here it is.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2014-12/dan-jenkins-fake-interview-with-tiger

It was definitely a low blow, satire or not. Constantly bringing up the divorce, Tiger's apparent "weak field" when he was winning majors.

Dan Jenkins is a f*cking prick.

I hope GD apologizes for this BS.

One thing stood out to me more than any of the rest of it:

Why? TV still loves you.

The print press still loves you. The average fans still love you. Of course the average fans still love the Kardashians, too, but I feel sure America will find a cure for this someday. I just do what Steiny says.

All the stuff about Tiger is kind of ... whatever.  We either already know about it (divorce, golf stats, carousel of coaches and caddies) or we've heard about it elsewhere (his tipping practices).  But that one part stands out to me because when I read between the lines, it tells me that Dan Jenkins has quite an ego.  So, yeah, he does sound like a ****ing prick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GolfLug

Classless. Self serving at best.

And you most probably would never have heard about it if Tiger hadn't got his panties in a wad about it. THAT's become the story, not a poorly conceived satirical piece that didn't even have a link to the internet until this. I read it a week ago when I got the magazine and forgot about it a minute later.

Disagree.  It was posted on this site after it came out.  So @GolfLug would have seen it before the response.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The fact that the thread on the article has about a fourth of the replies that this thread does speaks volumes. The original article wasn't that funny, interesting, or new. I don't think it was even really that harsh to Tiger, honestly. The worst things in there was that he cheated on his wife and that he's a bad tipper. I probably wouldn't even have read it if Tiger hadn't put up a hissy fit about it. The only way that article was going to get read by a lot of people was if Tiger bitched about it.

Tiger really needs to learn to pick his battles. When someone says that other golfers want to lynch him, that's when he should be speaking up. Some mediocre article in an irrelevant magazine? Keep your mouth shut.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Disagree.  It was posted on this site after it came out.  So @GolfLug would have seen it before the response.

Nope. The other thread was posted last week commenting on the article but the link was not posted until yesterday because it didn't exist until then. Golf Digest opened the link BECAUSE of the reaction by Tiger and his camp.

Bill M

Nope. The other thread was posted last week commenting on the article but the link was not posted until yesterday because it didn't exist until then. Golf Digest opened the link BECAUSE of the reaction by Tiger and his camp.

The magazine was published and available to the public before the thread here was started.  I don't know when GD created the link.

Joe Paradiso

Exactly, only a handful of us even commented on the article that was posted on this forum, I eventually read it at home, even at that point I felt it was lame attempt at humor. So where was the outcry then? It was only until tiger brought national attention to the Dan's poor attempt at humor.....

Originally Posted by phan52

Originally Posted by newtogolf

The magazine was published and available to the public before the thread here was started.  I don't know when GD created the link.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/tiger-woods-unleashes-blistering-criticism-of-satirical-interview/ar-BBewwSK

In the latest issue of Golf Digest, Jenkins published a satirical interview with a fake Tiger Woods imagining how an interview might play out. The article isn’t online (UPDATE: Golf Digest has now very wisely posted a link because they could have never have dreamed of better publicity. ) but you can see it here referenced on the cover of the December issue .

I totally agree with Christine Brennan's assessment of the whole issue (link below). Tiger is probably the most tone deaf public figure on the planet.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2014/11/18/tiger-woods-dan-jenkins-fake-interview-christine-brennan/19246965/

Woods' tirade is not the length of a tweet, or even a paragraph. Rather, it's a nearly 600-word pout, self-absorbed and clueless, starting out with the hope that none of us has read the fake Q-and-A – but ensuring that all of us now will.

Congratulations, Tiger. You've done it. You've achieved the media equivalent of hitting the fire hydrant.

Bill M

[URL=http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/tiger-woods-unleashes-blistering-criticism-of-satirical-interview/ar-BBewwSK]http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/tiger-woods-unleashes-blistering-criticism-of-satirical-interview/ar-BBewwSK[/URL] In the latest issue of Golf Digest, Jenkins published a satirical interview with a fake Tiger Woods imagining how an interview might play out. The article isn’t online (UPDATE: [URL=http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2014-12/dan-jenkins-fake-interview-with-tiger][U][COLOR=0066CC]Golf Digest has now very wisely posted a link[/COLOR][/U][/URL] because they could have never have dreamed of better publicity. ) but you can see it here referenced on the cover of the December issue . I totally agree with Christine Brennan's assessment of the whole issue (link below). Tiger is probably the most tone deaf public figure on the planet. [URL=http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2014/11/18/tiger-woods-dan-jenkins-fake-interview-christine-brennan/19246965/]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2014/11/18/tiger-woods-dan-jenkins-fake-interview-christine-brennan/19246965/[/URL] Woods' tirade is not the length of a tweet, or even a paragraph. Rather, it's a nearly 600-word pout, self-absorbed and clueless, starting out with the hope that none of us has read the fake Q-and-A – but ensuring that all of us now will. Congratulations, Tiger. You've done it. You've achieved the media equivalent of hitting the fire hydrant.

Seems to me he wanted to publicize it in order to show Jenkins in a negative light. He's no dummy and understood the consequences of his reaction. Worked for me and probably many others. I now think of Jenkins as a petty fool where prior to this I had thought of him as a venerable, stately, respected golf journalist, although I didn't know much about him or his work. And, I've always been a critic of Tiger. I wouldn't say that I now think of him as a sympathetic figure but I agree with him calling Jenkins out.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Seems to me he wanted to publicize it in order to show Jenkins in a negative light. He's no dummy and understood the consequences of his reaction.

Worked for me and probably many others. I now think of Jenkins as a petty fool where prior to this I had thought of him as a venerable, stately, respected golf journalist, although I didn't know much about him or his work.

And, I've always been a critic of Tiger. I wouldn't say that I now think of him as a sympathetic figure but I agree with him calling Jenkins out.

No, that would be Tiger. He is arrogant as well, as I would wager people close to him probably told him to let it go, but he can't. He had nothing to gain, and we wouldn't be having this conversation if Tiger didn't write his screed. Dan Jenkins has been irrelevant for decades. Today he is on the front page of every mainstream website in America. He loves this.

Bill M

douche move - totally unacceptable & I'm shocked Golf Digest EVER published that ... there's one golf magazine I won't be subscribing to again.

I agree.

Golf Digest has been trying to rebrand itself, with transparent efforts to make itself younger and “edgier”, and has failed miserably.

Its a publication exclusively intended for the sport of golf. Having photos of Paulina Gretzky, Jimmy Fallon, and Johnny Manziel on the cover isn’t going to attract non-golfers to buy the magazine. All its going to do is lose credibility with its core golfing readers.

Burning a bridge with one of the marquee players in the game (like him or not) is really going to accelerate their decline.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

No, that would be Tiger. He is arrogant as well, as I would wager people close to him probably told him to let it go, but he can't. He had nothing to gain, and we wouldn't be having this conversation if Tiger didn't write his screed. Dan Jenkins has been irrelevant for decades. Today he is on the front page of every mainstream website in America. He loves this.

Do you know Tiger personally or do you just have a problem with how he acts?

Do you know Tiger personally or do you just have a problem with how he acts?

Yes. He acts like a prick, and this event is a very good example. It was a SATIRE! He's a public figure, grow some thicker skin.

The fact is, in the scheme of things, very few people knew or cared about this until Tiger went off. Now it is everywhere and for no other reason than Tiger just can't help being a prick. Gotta get back at old, mean Dan Jenkins! Jenkins is an old man who is pretty much retired and probably is loving the attention so, believe me, the only loser in this is Tiger Woods.

Bill M

Yes. He acts like a prick, and this event is a very good example. It was a SATIRE! He's a public figure, grow some thicker skin.

The fact is, in the scheme of things, very few people knew or cared about this until Tiger went off. Now it is everywhere and for no other reason than Tiger just can't help being a prick. Gotta get back at old, mean Dan Jenkins! Jenkins is an old man who is pretty much retired and probably is loving the attention so, believe me, the only loser in this is Tiger Woods.

If Jenkins did a fake interview with Christina Kim that hit on her weight, incurring a back injury during a massage, her golf failings,  fashion style and history of depression would you tell her to get a thicker skin too or is it different because her name isn't Tiger?

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Seems to me he wanted to publicize it in order to show Jenkins in a negative light. He's no dummy and understood the consequences of his reaction.

Worked for me and probably many others. I now think of Jenkins as a petty fool where prior to this I had thought of him as a venerable, stately, respected golf journalist, although I didn't know much about him or his work.

And, I've always been a critic of Tiger. I wouldn't say that I now think of him as a sympathetic figure but I agree with him calling Jenkins out.

I pretty much agree with this.

He had nothing to gain, and we wouldn't be having this conversation if Tiger didn't write his screed. Dan Jenkins has been irrelevant for decades. Today he is on the front page of every mainstream website in America.

I also mostly agree with this.

But it reminds me of a scene in The American President where Michael Douglas and Martin Sheen are arguing and Sheen rhetorically says to Douglas "We fight the fights we can win???"  and then follows it up with "We fight the fights that need fighting!"

Point being, that just because Tiger might look petty from this, and might not have anything to gain, that does not mean that something doesn't need to be said.  As far as we know, Tiger is smart enough to know that this might reflect badly on him, but he still decides its worth it because he doesn't want to let Jenkins get away with being a "petty, vindictive fool."

Note: This thread is 3378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!