IGNORED

Cutting the Cord…

turtleback

12 minutes ago, jamo said:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/3/14149476/dish-airtv-player-netflix-sling-tv-specs-ces-2017

Incorporating OTA local channels into a streaming box seems like a really smart idea to me.

I wonder if it has DVR capabilities for local channels. It didn't say if it did.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/1/2016 at 1:37 PM, k-troop said:

I'm pretty sure that's what it costs via in-app purchase on Apple TV.  Showtime is $10.99.

As for DirecTV NOW, they're having some issues.  I signed up for the 3-month prepay with a free Apple TV at the "launch" price of $35 for 100 channels.  (I can still quit within the 7-day trial period and pay nothing, but I don't think I will.)  It's supposed to include ABC, Fox, NBC, Fox affiliates, ESPN, a host of regional sports channels, and the expanded basic cable usual suspects. 

The good.  The interface is better than sling:  it has an actual guide and will allow you to scroll through the channel guide while watching whatever channel you're on.  The transition between channels is pretty quick and simple when doing it this way.  Getting into a specific channel to view VOD is about the same as any other app.  Picture quality is great.  The Golf Channel streamed beautifully, and I was able to watch Tiger getting reps as I made dinner last night.  :banana:

The bad...where do I start?  For starters, the DirecTV Now app couldn't be located by searching in the App store all day yesterday.  The web-based platform won't stream reliably in Safari (they say it will, and there is anecdotal evidence of it working, but it wouldn't work on mine and dozens of complaints in the att.forums).  (I downloaded Chrome and it worked fine.)  The service is limited to 2 simultaneous streams (and I achieved that yesterday), but there is a recurring and rampant error (the dreaded Error 60) where it stops your stream and tells you you've exceeded your maximum number of streams, even if you're only watching on one device.  (This happened to me about every 5 minutes during prime-time viewing last night.)  There is a little bit of disconnect between the video and audio streams (I experience this in Sling sometimes; can be corrected by changing the channel and going back).  When you're watching a program and a menu pops up (i.e. you inadvertently swipe the touchpad on Siri remote) it's difficult to make it go away again.  The VOD library is non existent.  There was basically no customer service to cover the launch.

The really bad starts when you get into local Network channels.  ABC is part of the package "where available", but like Sling that's really just two cities.  NBC is "available in a lot of areas (including mine just north of Metro DC), but it won't play on a streaming device.  That's right:  a streaming service, designed to be used as a cable replacement, won't play a Network channel on an Apple TV, Roku, or Firestick.  (You can view NBC on your mobile device or over the web.)

There are also a ton of issues with location services and some folks not getting channels that are part of their package.  I had issues yesterday with the History Channel popping up as "unavailable in my area" which is stupid.

Overall the big issues are:

1. NBC stream limited to mobile devices and web browser.

2. Error 60 (exceeded your allowable number of streams) makes the service essentially unwatchable at peak times. 

3. VOD library is a joke.

If they can fix this, DirecTV Now will be far superior to Sling IMO.

I probably missed it in the thread, but who do you get your internet access through?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 1/3/2017 at 1:49 PM, jsgolfer said:

I probably missed it in the thread, but who do you get your internet access through?

Verizon FiOS.  I have 100 mbps download for $70/month.  I'm not sure whether I need that much internet, but we routinely stream 3 sources simultaneously without issue.

I guess it's time to update on DirecTV Now.

They've partially fixed some of the issues.  The Bad:

It "works" pretty well now, in that when you turn it on, you actually get streaming video.  There are still plenty of error messages:  it seems they come in bunches, because I'll get the same error message four or five times in a span of a few minutes, then I won't get one for an hour or more on the same channel.  Regardless, they can all be remedied with a quick swipe left or right (to change the channel) or backing out of the app and getting back in.

VOD content hasn't really gotten any better.  I don't really use DirecTV Now for this, but I'd love to be able to ditch HULU.

Network channels are the same.  NBC is web-based or mobile only; you can't get it on AppleTV.  Also the NFL coverage is really bad; I've only been able to watch one Sunday daytime game while the rest have been blacked out.  Nationally televised games are fine.  I assume the playoffs will be fine.

Seems the errors and streaming interruptions are worst when the content is best.  I couldn't watch the Rose Bowl on ESPN thru DirecTV Now because the stream kept interrupting.  I could watch it fine thru WatchESPN on the same TV & device.

The Good:

Audio and video quality are better than Sling.  For the entire month of December I was constantly switching back and forth between DirecTV Now and Sling.  (I was trying to stick with DirecTV Now, but kept reverting to Sling when I grew tired of stream interruptions.)  Here's what I noticed about direct comparison--

Audio is louder and has more effects with DirecTV Now.  I use a Denon sound bar connected directly to my TV.

Picture quality looks better as well.  Not sure how else to explain it, except that I can notice a difference switching directly between the two.

Sling has about a 30 second delay compared to DirecTV Now (and compared to cable, as my buddies routinely spoil goal-line situations for me via text).

The interface with DirecTV Now is superior.  You can access the guide in DirecTV Now via two clicks of the Siri remote and scroll through channels and times all without losing the program you're currently watching.  You can also access VOD content without losing your current channel.

The Verdict:

I'm gonna stick with DirecTV Now for the duration of my 90 days (thru the end of February).  At that point if they haven't fixed their issues I might be back to Sling, or (maybe) on to HULU's live stream offering launching soon.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

29 minutes ago, k-troop said:

Verizon FiOS.  I have 100 mbps download for $70/month.  I'm not sure whether I need that much internet, but we routinely stream 3 sources simultaneously without issue.

I have Fios right now and my 2-yr contract ends mid-February, I think I might give the PlayStation Vue a try.  And just keep the internet.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

Their pricing tier probably won't be a huge savings over Verizon bundling, but not needing a box for every TV is where the real savings kicks in.  I have a PS4, PS3 and an Apple TV so I can get everything on three TV's.  And I'm going to do Antenna's on the other two tv's.  

I wonder if at some point, Verizon and others go from the bundle package to a "media package" where everything is included for one price.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

19 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I have Fios right now and my 2-yr contract ends mid-February, I think I might give the PlayStation Vue a try.  And just keep the internet.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

Their pricing tier probably won't be a huge savings over Verizon bundling, but not needing a box for every TV is where the real savings kicks in.  I have a PS4, PS3 and an Apple TV so I can get everything on three TV's.  And I'm going to do Antenna's on the other two tv's.  

I wonder if at some point, Verizon and others go from the bundle package to a "media package" where everything is included for one price.

I looked at Vue (they recently released an AppleTV app) but they have ZERO local channels in the Metro DC area.  I really like watching local news in the morning.  I could probably get over it.

Kevin

12 minutes ago, k-troop said:

I looked at Vue (they recently released an AppleTV app) but they have ZERO local channels in the Metro DC area.  I really like watching local news in the morning.  I could probably get over it.

So when they show Fox and NBC etc., what feed do you get in our area?  My wife likes the News as well, so may have to do something for her, may have to put an antenna on the main TV as well.

EDIT:

http://cordcuttersnews.com/playstation-vue-now-offers-local-channels-37-markets/

This shows that you should get Fox, NBC and MyTv local stations.  looks like Chicago and NY are the only areas where you would get all local channels. 

-Jerry

21 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

So when they show Fox and NBC etc., what feed do you get in our area?  My wife likes the News as well, so may have to do something for her, may have to put an antenna on the main TV as well.

With DirecTV Now you can get Fox on your TV, the same as the local OTA broadcast (i.e. the morning and evening news is the local Washington DC news team).  NBC you'll get only through the web platform and mobile app, but also the same content as the local broadcast.  Both networks have limited on-demand content.

Sling gives you both Fox and NBC on your TV.  Also the same as the local OTA broadcast.  

21 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

http://cordcuttersnews.com/playstation-vue-now-offers-local-channels-37-markets/

This shows that you should get Fox, NBC and MyTv local stations.  looks like Chicago and NY are the only areas where you would get all local channels. 

Wasn't aware Sling had expanded into the DC area.  I may have to give it a try, though I'll also need to see it to believe it.  Apparently these guys can say they're giving you "local network stations" if all they have is a contract for on-demand content.  

Kevin

I cut the cord a long time ago, but this time of year I really miss having the golf channel. Something special about coming home on a cold winter day to watch live golf from Hawaii. I am really considering getting Playstation VUE simply to watch golf. I just have to decide if $35 a month is too much to spend on such a passive hobby. It is awfully tempting. Otherwise, I watch very little TV. 

- Mark

• 3 weeks later...

So apparently Hulu is doing exactly what I hoped they would:  combining their new live TV service with their existing VoD library and service in a single app.  Beta will begin this spring.  You can sign up to participate in beta here.  https://www.experiencehulu.com/

• Upvote 1

Kevin

On 1/9/2017 at 0:03 PM, Braivo said:

I cut the cord a long time ago, but this time of year I really miss having the golf channel. Something special about coming home on a cold winter day to watch live golf from Hawaii. I am really considering getting Playstation VUE simply to watch golf. I just have to decide if $35 a month is too much to spend on such a passive hobby. It is awfully tempting. Otherwise, I watch very little TV. 

I'm getting ready to cut the cord, my current Verizon contract ends on Feb. 22nd., and going with the PS Vue.

-Jerry

8 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

I'm getting ready to cut the cord, my current Verizon contract ends on Feb. 22nd., and going with the PS Vue.

Im going to do the PS Vue trial sometime in Feb. Need to decide whether to cut loose DTVNow (my prepaid period runs through feb). I'm locked in to the ridiculous introductory rate with DTVNow but the lack of local channels and glitches are hard to take. 

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I finally was able to convince the wife to do this.  We replaced cable with Sling and will continue Netflix.  Very happy with the choice at a $90 savings per month.  

• Upvote 2

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• 3 weeks later...

@k-troop @cipher @jsgolfer @Braivo 

YouTube just launched YouTube TV - YouTube Live TV
Looks like a good plan, $35 / month, most major networks, sports, golf channels with optional ShowTime $11

No contract, they offer a "chrome cast free" - Also "First month is free."

It presently is only available in some areas. I would assume they obtain rights in many areas in the near future.

Initially, YouTube TV is available in the following areas: Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia & San Francisco Bay Area, with more on the way!

Share with family, roommates, or anyone in your household. Everyone gets their own login and personal DVR library.Watch the full lineups as they air from ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, and more. Don’t miss out on live sports, must-see shows, news, and events.

Never run out of storage space for your recordings

Stream your library wherever you go

Watch on all your screens, Mobile, Android, iPhone & iPad, TV - Google Chromecast

Computer, Laptop & desktop

Available in select U.S. cities. Terms apply.

• Upvote 2

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

2 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Looks like a good plan, $35 / month, most major networks, sports, golf channels with optional ShowTime $11

It presently is only available in some areas. I would assume they obtain rights in many areas in the near future.

Initially, YouTube TV is available in the following areas: Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia & San Francisco Bay Area, with more on the way!

Excellent. I just recently signed up with Playstation Vue which looks about the same in channel offerings. I get to watch golf and baseball without a big cable bill. I am good with that. 

- Mark

25 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Nice!  I may have to switch from Sling to that as it has the major networks.  Looks like Roku does not support it yet so I will wait for that, and for it to become available in Milwaukee as well.

Edited by cipher

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

11 minutes ago, cipher said:

Nice!  I may have to switch from Sling to that as it has the major networks.  Looks like Roku does not support it yet so I will wait for that, and for it to become available in Milwaukee as well.

They can advertise that they have the major networks even if it's just VOD.  They also may not have contracts to broadcast live sports, even if they have live ABC (as an example).

I'm pretty happy with PSVue right now.  I've had Sling, DirecTVNow, and now PSVue.  PSVue is the only one that gave me 2 local network live channels (DC area), ESPN, and Golf channel for $35.  Plus I enjoy HGTV (gotta get Chip and Jo), travel, food, TBS, and it always seems to have a decent movie on.  PSVue also seems to have really short (under 30 secs) commercials for their VOD offerings (DirecTVNow VOD commercials were neverending). 

I'm waiting for Hulu.  They're in Beta now, but supposedly their package will include their current on-demand content and a really good channel package.  3 of the 4 majors have a stake in Hulu, so I think this may be the one that really gets it right content-wise.  For me Hulu is the best on-demand streaming service so I pay for it anyway.  With the launch of Hulu I expect we'll be able to get the following for around $45--

*Hulu's current library of on-demand network content--commercial free

*all of the ESPN and Fox affiliated sports

*2-3 local live network channels

I can't give you a comparison on their cloud DVR features.  I've basically learned to live without that for live TV and it hasn't affected me at all.  For VOD it's irrelevant.

Kevin

I cut the cable last fall.    I'm excited to see what is coming down the pipeline.   I signed up for the Hulu beta but haven't heard anything from them yet.   The Youtube TV looks promising too.   Either way it's cheaper than cable TV.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

21 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Cool, may have to try that out once it comes to DC area.

-Jerry