IGNORED

Graphite/Steel Shafts for Irons?

ChvyKc
Note: This thread is 5580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What type of shaft do you use with your irons?

• Steel
    • Graphite

In my opinion it will not matter ASLONG as you get fitted for graphite or steel...both are very good, even though graphite is costly if thats what u hit best then hit that.

Driver:10 degree HS9 F speed Stock Regular
FW: 15 degree sasquatch stiff
906F4 18.5 V2 proforce stiff
Hybrid: 21 585H V2 Proforce stiff
Irons: Cobra Fp 4-PW Nippon StiffWedges: CG12 56 degree Wedge Flex Putter: Rossa agsi+ Daytona 1 35"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion it will not matter ASLONG as you get fitted for graphite or steel...both are very good, even though graphite is costly if thats what u hit best then hit that.

Generally...I would say steel. Look at how many pros don't play graphite...when they have great access to personalized fittings

Dont know bout graph shafts giving more distance ... its more on the golfer than the club they say . Steel tend to be more stable in terms of accuracy and distance for irons so thats why 95 % of PGA Tour pros use them . Graph may be good and more forgiving for the like of high handicap players to those who have slow swing speeds .

• 2 months later...
if you hit your steel shafted irons well why change to graphite....

Good call.

I agree with you 100%. Graphite (stiff or reg) are for slow swing speeds. I have found that they lack feel also.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

graphite... thanks, but NO thanks... I'll stick with my stepless BLACK GOLDS, the best iron shaft in golf. Project X would be a close second.

Not to mention... graphite is for old men, it is cheap quality, and it looks silly.

I would rather use a nice old hickory shaft than graphite. In fact I just ordered hickory shafts to replace the graphite in my woods and hybrids.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Started off with graphite when I first started. And that was a HUGE mistake. Steel all the way. X Stiff.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

Steel. When I hit it fat, I really rip up a vegetable garden - and I've had more than my share of clubheads fly on down the fairway when using graphite.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Yes fitting is key here.

Generally...I would say steel. Look at how many pros don't play graphite...when they have great access to personalized fittings

Think about it from this view, most pros grew up playing steel shafts so they are used to a certain feel.

Dont know bout graph shafts giving more distance ... its more on the golfer than the club they say . Steel tend to be more stable in terms of accuracy and distance for irons so thats why 95 % of PGA Tour pros use them . Graph may be good and more forgiving for the like of high handicap players to those who have slow swing speeds .

See my comment above, also most pros have a higher swing swings and it is so much easier to get the weight from steel shafts than from some graphite shafts. But there are many pros who use graphite, yes I know it's a small percentage but for you and others to say that graphite shafts are only for high handicap or seniors is just a silly comment to make.

Good call.

This is generally true because graphite will dampen vibration more than steel shafts. But again see my last comments in regards that graphite is only for slow swing speeds.

graphite... thanks, but NO thanks... I'll stick with my stepless BLACK GOLDS, the best iron shaft in golf. Project X would be a close second.

Again, I think these are just silly comments. Graphite shafts come in a wide array of weights, flexes, bend profiles, etc.

Steel. When I hit it fat, I really rip up a vegetable garden - and I've had more than my share of clubheads fly on down the fairway when using graphite.

Clubheads flying down the fairway are more of a reflection of the quality of the installation, not the materials used.

____________ People! Look I'm not saying graphite shafts are for everyone or that they are a godsend (heck I use steel shafts in my irons! but that is because they fit me.) BUT some of the myths and comments said about graphite shafts are just ridiculous or founded on poor quality equipment. I've said before in this thread and in others that graphite shafts (particularly in irons) is NOT just for seniors, slow swing speeds, high handicap golfers, women, etc. As I mentioned above, graphite shafts are available in a wide array of specifications. However they do remain more expensive and not as cost effective to use in irons. If graphite shafts were only for slow swing speeds, high handicap players, etc then why do so many of you have graphite shafts in your drivers, fairway wood and hybrids? The average wood shaft runs approx. $90 dollars, if you were to spend a similar amount for the similar quality then it may be a good fit for your irons or it may not. So I hope I made a good point here and didn't step offend anyone with my comments or input, I'm just trying to clear the air a little.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Big_M graphite... thanks, but NO thanks... I'll stick with my stepless BLACK GOLDS, the best iron shaft in golf. Project X would be a close second. Not to mention... graphite is for old men, it is cheap quality, and it looks silly. I would rather use a nice old hickory shaft than graphite. In fact I just ordered hickory shafts to replace the graphite in my woods and hybrids.

Again, I think these are just silly comments. Graphite shafts come in a wide array of weights, flexes, bend profiles, etc.

Obviously you didn't get that I was joking here... do you really think I just ordered some HICKORY shafts for my hybrids and woods?

It is odd that you are so concerned with others opinions on graphite shafts... I think you might own some stock in UST or Aldila People should use what feels/looks/works best for them.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Obviously you didn't get that I was joking here... do you really think I just ordered some HICKORY shafts for my hybrids and woods?

I wasn't going to assume

I hope I didn't come off to stuffy or uptight, I'm all for kidding around too
It is odd that you are so concerned with others opinions on graphite shafts... I think you might own some stock in UST or Aldila

I completely agree that "people should use what feels/looks/works best for them" that's why I mentioned that they are not for everyone. I see it from the other side when people read on internet forums or they read/hear bad information, that graphite shafts are only for old people, slow swing speeds, high handicaps, etc... they come into a fitting with a negative bias so combining that with ego...you see my point? I'd say about 90% of the fittings I perform we end up with steel shafts but again because it fits that individual and their budget.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In the past the feeling about grafite was just for more distance but sacrifice control. Technology has taken over and you can get fitted with grafite that is just as stiff tip wise as steel. If you are still young and have no problem with your elbo's don't change or try the new rifle shafts. I have a wedge with that shaft and really like it, but steel tears up this old guy.....bwgolfer

TaylorMade Burner TP 9.5* stiff shaft Driver and Taylormade 15* medal
Cleveland utilities 22*
Taylormade tour prefered irons with rifle flighted 6.0
Taylormade z groove tp wedges 52* and 58*
Rife Antigua blade putterTitlest Pro V1X, Bridgestone 3000s Black

• 2 weeks later...
Graphite irons killed my game! I'm sure the technology is better then when I used them.
(8 years ago) When I went back to steel, I went back to playing golf! Still to this day, I dont know what it was. I will say, I love graghite shafted drivers!

In my Procombo stand bag
Fusion FT-3
Fusion FT-3 3 wood
Citation 2 iron from the early 80's
Cronin Tour irons 4 - PW V-foil 56 Vokey wedge 58 Oil canV-foil 60 G2i CRAZ-E ProV1

I just made the switch from steel to graphite this season.

Most recently I was using a set of Cleveland TA7s with steel shafts and custom fitted. I loved them but never could seem to get the consistency I had when I was younger with the other sets.

I went to one of the many local ranges and demoed everything I could get my hands on. I'd highly recommend doing to the same.

Believe it or not, I went from Cleveland irons with stiff steel to older Top Flite Tours with stiff graphite shafts gaining 20 yards with far more consistency and accuracy. They just feel better and seem to fit my swing more. My driver swing speed is around 110 and I now carry my 6 iron 175 yards.

Try everything. I've owned next to every kind of club, shape, shaft, etc. The only steel shafted clubs in my bag are my wedges and my putter. Go with what works for you.

Driver:  S3 White Limited Edition 10.5* w/Aldila RIP Beta 65

3 Wood:  Burner 15*

Irons:  Forged Blades 3-9

Wedges:  SV 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter:  Studio Newport

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: 

Why no graphite wedges?

Anyhow, I had graphite before and snapped off a 3 iron. I was told that irons should be made of steel because they are meant to hit the ground. (ducks to avoid another Everardo rebuttal.) I am sure it is crap, but I use steel because it is good and cheap.

If I had the opportunity to buy a set of clubs that were steel or graphite in stiff flex, I'd take the graphite for a spin.

WITB
Rapture 10.5
looking for my V Steel...wish I hadn't sold it
a3os 7 wood
MX-19 4 - GW MP-R 54, 60Studio Stainless Newport Beach

My Driver & 3 wood are graphite, along with my new Cobra Baffler 18° hybrid. My Pings, wedges, and my Cleveland Halo 22° hybrid are all steel. I'm waiting to see the difference in my 2 hybrids this year, one steel, one graphite. Right now it's -27c, with a wind chill of -32c. So i won't know for quite a while.

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

• 2 weeks later...
I play with steel in everything except my Driver. But I am going to change to graphite in woods and hybrids. I think steel is better for irons, they're control/accuracy clubs not distance clubs.

Haha took the words right out of my mouth. I totally agree.

Wilson Staff Tour Carry Bag:

Staff DD+6 10.5* Proforce V2 Reg
906F4 15.5* Aldila VS-Proto 'By You' 80S Reg585.H 19* Aldila VS-Proto 'By You' 80S RegStaff Ci7 4 - PW w TX 105 RegVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52* Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56*Harmonized 60* Lob WedgeRossa Daytona 1

Why no graphite wedges?

I have graphite in my wedges, but that is rare. Since wedges are rarely swung full out, wedges are usually swingweighted higher to enhance feel and control. With a lighter shaft a lot of weight has to be added to the head or a much longer shaft used to accheive this, which has cost implications and of course a longer shaft on scoring club can be counter productive.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 5580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!