Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jamo

What Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Note: This thread is 1071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

94 posts / 13599 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Hold onto your butts, a long list is coming: 

  • The Bill Simmons Podcast
  • The Ringer NBA Show 
  • Story and Star Wars
  • WTF with Marc Maron
  • The /Filmcast
  • Anna Faris Is Unqualified
  • Gen Pop
  • We Can Do This All Day
  • A Storm of Spoilers
  • The West Wing Weekly
  • Channel 33
  • Slate's Dear Prudence 
  • The Vertical Podcast
  • The Lowe Post 
  • Garbage Time Podcast with Katie Nolan
  • Dusted: A Buffy Podcast
  • My Favorite Murder

These are in no particular order, but my favorite is My Favorite Murder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

Hold onto your butts, a long list is coming: 

  • The Bill Simmons Podcast
  • The Ringer NBA Show 
  • Story and Star Wars
  • WTF with Marc Maron
  • The /Filmcast
  • Anna Faris Is Unqualified
  • Gen Pop
  • We Can Do This All Day
  • A Storm of Spoilers
  • The West Wing Weekly
  • Channel 33
  • Slate's Dear Prudence 
  • The Vertical Podcast
  • The Lowe Post 
  • Garbage Time Podcast with Katie Nolan
  • Dusted: A Buffy Podcast
  • My Favorite Murder

These are in no particular order, but my favorite is My Favorite Murder. 

If you like /Filmcast and Gen Pop you probably heard of A Storm of Spoilers, and Fighting in the War Room? For movies The Last Picture Show and Filmspotting are good too. Slate's Culture Gabfest is pretty good but can get pretentious and full of itself.

When Westworld was on, I was listening to Decoding Westworld and Shat on TV. 

The West Wing Weekly is awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll add a few to my list that I've picked up somewhat recently and/or never listed:

  • Celebration Rock with Steven Hyden - I'm not huge into rock music but for whatever reason I like reading and listening to people talk about rock music. 
  • Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell - Polished that off in like a week. It's typical Malcolm Gladwell stuff, but it's interesting. 
  • The various Ringer sports and pop culture podcasts - I'll skip episodes if the description doesn't interest me.
  • The Jonah Keri Podcast - Ditto
  • The Lowe Post - Ditto
  • Banished to the Pen - Ditto

The only golf podcast I ever listen to is Friends of Tiger, but he stopped making that (then started again, then stopped again). But I enjoy it when they put it out. 

I generally listen to The Starters on my commute to work. I've found that Effectively Wild is a really good at work listen, Bill Simmons and the Poscast are good driving home shows, The Watch is good for when I'm just cooking or doing something menial in my apartment. Everything else I just listen to when I have time. 

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

So I guess the Serial type podcasts kind of died down?

At least in my eyes, Serial itself wasn't as compelling in season 2. I listened to the unofficial spin-off podcast, Undisclosed, but once they reached their own season 2 I just couldn't stand the hosts anymore. (They got very self-important and smug; the focus of the show shifted from the victims and alleged perpetrators to the hosts themselves.) I'll listen to Serial season 3 (which Wikipedia says is due out this coming summer).

I also listened to a podcast called Casefile for a while, but once I'd heard all of the big compelling cases, I stopped listening. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I listen to The Watch too @jamo but they can be a little too insidery Hollywood sometimes and I skip around as well - those guys are all over the map.  They're good when they talk about Game of Thrones. 

What podcast apps do/does everyone use? I use Overcast and Casts on mobile devices  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

I listen to The Watch too @jamo but they can be a little too insidery Hollywood sometimes. They're good when they talk about Game of Thrones too. 

What podcast apps do/does everyone use? I use Overcast and Casts on mobile devices  

I like when they do that stuff. And I don't watch Game of Thrones, so I usually skip those sections.

I just use the default Podcasts app on my iPhone. I did have an issue the last few days when Effectively Wild moved from Baseball Prospectus to FanGraphs. My feed shrank to the 300 most episodes (of just over 1000) and it lost all of my played/not played data, so I had to manually select the ones I'd already listened to.

Aside from that, I rarely have issues with it. I've tried a few other apps but none really gave me a reason to switch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, jamo said:

I like when they do that stuff. And I don't watch Game of Thrones, so I usually skip those sections.

I just use the default Podcasts app on my iPhone. I did have an issue the last few days when Effectively Wild moved from Baseball Prospectus to FanGraphs. My feed shrank to the 300 most episodes (of just over 1000) and it lost all of my played/not played data, so I had to manually select the ones I'd already listened to.

Aside from that, I rarely have issues with it. I've tried a few other apps but none really gave me a reason to switch. 

The feature that gets rid of the silences, pauses without you noticing that make the podcasts shorter might be worth a try. You can trim like 5 minutes off a 1 hour podcast. Or something like that. It's  not the 1.25, 1.5, 2x speed feature, it's a separate feature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is there something about golfers and podcasts? Outside of this discussion I haven't met a lot of friends who use them.

 

I love the medium and think we're in a golden age of free content. My favorite is probably Slate's Political Gabfest. Even though I'm a conservative I still enjoy the liberal discussion.

 

Edited by gregsandiego

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Is there something about golfers and podcasts? Outside of this discussion I haven't met a lot of friends who use them.

 

I love the medium and think we're in a golden age of free content. My favorite is probably Slate's Political Gabfest. Even though I'm a conservative I still enjoy the liberal discussion.

 

I have noticed the same, although admittedly, I don't really listen to "golf" podcasts. 

Most of my golf playing partners are either 1) older men who have not embraced podcasting or 2) young guys who primarily listen to sports talk radio. Podcasting seems to be a niche with room for growth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, Braivo said:

I have noticed the same, although admittedly, I don't really listen to "golf" podcasts. 

Most of my golf playing partners are either 1) older men who have not embraced podcasting or 2) young guys who primarily listen to sports talk radio. Podcasting seems to be a niche with room for growth. 

You sports friends would probably enjoy the sports podcasts more than live radio in some ways. The biggest advantages are these are on demand and usually very few ads.

I just did a quick search and found quite a few Golf podcasts, e.g."Golf Smarter". As much as I like the game I'm not sure this audio content will be interesting to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

You sports friends would probably enjoy the sports podcasts more than live radio in some ways. The biggest advantages are these are on demand and usually very few ads.

I just did a quick search and found quite a few Golf podcasts, e.g."Golf Smarter". As much as I like the game I'm not sure this audio content will be interesting to me.

Ads you can just hit the skip button.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Ads you can just hit the skip button.

 

 

Good point. Another reason why I think this is the golden age of the podcast - they have not been fully monetized/commercialized yet. Of the thousands out there I doubt hardly any make money. 

And maybe that's not good for the podcaster but it's great for the audience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Good point. Another reason why I think this is the golden age of the podcast - they have not been fully monetized/commercialized yet. Of the thousands out there I doubt hardly any make money. 

And maybe that's not good for the podcaster but it's great for the audience.

Prime example of the long long tail. There's Patreon, where you donate a little bit a month. And the Pay Pal donate button. And your Kickstarters. Gen Pop I think has garnered 500 patrons on Patreon @ $10/month and I think that's break even after paying for servers and all that. I started listening to podcasts way back in 2005, maybe even 2004, when they were mostly tech oriented and loved the concept from the start. All content, no fat, just people talking casually, none of the disadvantages of radio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/17/2017 at 8:28 PM, iacas said:
  • The Talk Show
  • Accidental Tech
  • West Wing Weekly
  • Nerdist

Latest ATP is really good - episode on Swift. Prime example of content you'd never ever get on mainstream radio. 2 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/17/2017 at 11:09 PM, gregsandiego said:

Is there something about golfers and podcasts? Outside of this discussion I haven't met a lot of friends who use them.

No. Or podcasts would not be anywhere near as popular.

Also, all the well produced podcasts make money. ATP makes thousands per episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/19/2017 at 6:50 AM, iacas said:

No. Or podcasts would not be anywhere near as popular.

Also, all the well produced podcasts make money. ATP makes thousands per episode.

What is ATP?

EDIT: Never mind I googled ATP Podcast and found it. Accidental Tech Podcast which is referenced above.

I listen to some well produced podcasts that I doubt make money. Slate podcasts are pretty good but I Just bet their audience is small in terms of making a profit.

Edited by gregsandiego

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 1071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...