IGNORED

RFKFREAK's Journal About Golf Past, Present, and Future

RFKFREAK

I get out and run every other day. At the moment Im doing 10k sessions in an hour and Sundays are my long run day (14 to 20k) where I get out early afternoon before the wife goes out for a run (as she goes off with the other mothers from our community...and I dont want to slow them down! :)).

About 2 months ago I decided to supplement my running with a couple gym classes to help add muscle and definition but one of the classes I do is a specific golf fit class where the exercises are all related to golf. The other class I do is kettle bells, which absolutely rocks! Even in that short time I can see a massive difference in my body shape oh AND more importantly I can definitely feel I am imparting more power in to my golf swing now too!

Also, an added bonus, muscle is an efficient fat burner! :D

Well done on getting closer to your goal weight mate. I think that once you get down to 200lbs that will just be the end of the beginning as the next challenge is to keep the weight off and hopefully not slip back in to your old habits!

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mailman

I think that once you get down to 200lbs that will just be the end of the beginning as the next challenge is to keep the weight off and hopefully not slip back in to your old habits!

Fat chance.   We will know if he is regaining his weight by checking out his swing thread.   If he does, I think he will get an earful from fellow forum members not to mention all the teases he will get.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I get out and run every other day. At the moment Im doing 10k sessions in an hour and Sundays are my long run day (14 to 20k) where I get out early afternoon before the wife goes out for a run (as she goes off with the other mothers from our community...and I dont want to slow them down! :)). About 2 months ago I decided to supplement my running with a couple gym classes to help add muscle and definition but one of the classes I do is a specific golf fit class where the exercises are all related to golf. The other class I do is kettle bells, which absolutely rocks! Even in that short time I can see a massive difference in my body shape oh AND more importantly I can definitely feel I am imparting more power in to my golf swing now too! Also, an added bonus, muscle is an efficient fat burner! :D Well done on getting closer to your goal weight mate. I think that once you get down to 200lbs that will just be the end of the beginning as the next challenge is to keep the weight off and hopefully not slip back in to your old habits! Regards Mailman

Would you be able to elaborate how you found this class and what exercises you do in it? [quote name="rkim291968" url="/t/78581/for-my-1000th-post-a-journal-about-my-golf-past-present-and-what-i-hope-my-golf-future-will-be/100_100#post_1144672"] Fat chance.   We will know if he is regaining his weight by checking out his swing thread.   If he does, I think he will get an earful from fellow forum members not to mention all the teases he will get.   [/quote] Avoidance of shame is a powerful motivator, haha.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Hi Christian, The class is run from the gym attached to my golf club and I got pulled in by a couple of club members who attend the classes. The class has also been developed in conjunction with the Titliest Performance Institute (sounds a bit like name dropping doesnt it :). All of the exercises are related to improving stability, core strength and flexibility but before I started the class I did an assessment to see where I was physically. There is a set of 12 tests that you go through and you basically get a rating from PGA tour level down to "should be on your death bed" level :) Each session would be a mix of stretching, core strength and flexibility development, circuit training and strength training.basically high intensity training that benefits your golf game. Mix in there kettle bells, weights, trx exercises etc and you have a really, high energy fun little session that gets a serious sweat on and gets the old heart beat up! Regards Mailman

Mailman

Hi Christian,

The class is run from the gym attached to my golf club and I got pulled in by a couple of club members who attend the classes. The class has also been developed in conjunction with the Titliest Performance Institute (sounds a bit like name dropping doesnt it :).

All of the exercises are related to improving stability, core strength and flexibility but before I started the class I did an assessment to see where I was physically. There is a set of 12 tests that you go through and you basically get a rating from PGA tour level down to "should be on your death bed" level :)

Each session would be a mix of stretching, core strength and flexibility development, circuit training and strength training.basically high intensity training that benefits your golf game. Mix in there kettle bells, weights, trx exercises etc and you have a really, high energy fun little session that gets a serious sweat on and gets the old heart beat up!

Regards

Mailman

Sounds cool.

Yeah, there aren't any golf specific exercise classes where I live or close-by that I'm aware of so I'm just doing a general build muscle while I can lose fat and then, if I get down to 10-15% body fat, then I'll see about how much I want to bulk and make Rory McIlroy look tiny if we're standing next to each other with our shirts off. B-)

Christian

I thought that was a picture of you for a second??? :) Give kettle bells a go if there are classes at your gym. You will love it. The other good one is Pilates which will help with core strength and flexibility too. Regards Mailman

Mailman

I thought that was a picture of you for a second??? :)

Give kettle bells a go if there are classes at your gym. You will love it.

The other good one is Pilates which will help with core strength and flexibility too.

Regards

Mailman

Yeah, the gym does classes but not sure if they'll help with golf, haha.

Christian

Do them just so you can go to the back of the class and watch all teh hawt chicks! :) But seriously, kettle bells and Pilates will both do your game a world of good through developing core strength, flexibility, power etc. Regards Mailman

Mailman

Played two rounds this weekend.  First time I've played two rounds in a row where I got a birdie in each round.  Shot my lowest round ever yesterday!

Saturday:

Score: 100 (29 over)

1 Birdie

2 Pars

7 Bogeys

2 Double Bogeys

6 Triple Bogeys or more.

2 Penalty Strokes

GIR: 3/18 (16.7%)

PPGIR: 1.75

Scrambling: 0/15 (0%)

FIR: 4/14 (28.6%)

37 Total putts (2.1 PPH); 2 3-putts.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/349035

Putting and short game were terrible.  Had a nice stretch between 12 and 17 where I shot +4 over those holes.  I was happy to be able to pull myself together after shooting over 50 on the front and put together a sub 50 back 9.  Would have liked to have shot under 100 but we can't always have what we want.

Monday:

Score: 92

1 Birdie

5 Pars

7 Bogeys

3 Double Bogeys

2 Triple Bogeys or more.

3 Penalty Strokes

GIR: 6/18 (33.3%)

PPGIR: 2.33

Scrambling: 3/12 (25%)

FIR: 4/14 (28.6%)

35 Total putts (1.9 PPH); 5 3-putts

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/353587

I really had an outside shot to get into the 80's yesterday but my short game and putter let me down.  Three 3 putts on the back 9 when I had hit the Greens In Regulation and fantastic drives wasted on 11 and 12 because of my terrible short game.  Overall, off the tee and full swings with irons and wedges felt on yesterday.

What really became apparently to me over these two rounds is that because I've spent probably 95% of my practice time on my full swing because I feel it's a glaring weakness, my pitching and putting have suffered.  I've never been very good at chipping (only learned of the 12 point system recently) so I'm not necessarily surprised by that.

• Pitching - I have to take time out and dial in my pitch shots per LSW.  Since I'm hitting my clubs further now, I think it's impacting my pitches and I'm doing a lot of guessing as to which club and whether to do a full pitch or not go back as far.  Off the top of my head (and I bet there's more if I think about it some), I was within 100 yards after my tee shot and overshot the green.  On those two holes I likely cost myself 3 strokes.
  • Putting - I have very little confidence with my putter right now.  I had a tap in birdie on Saturday and, granted, I made a 16 foot putt for my birdie yesterday and made a long putt of a similar distance to save par on 8 but, for the most part, I'm leaving most of my putts short and then am missing an obscene amount of 5 footers.  So, looks like I'll have to spend some time on the practice greens.

So, overall, very happy with my full swing recently.  I'm still going to work on it, obviously, but how to allocate the time in for work, meeting other responsibilities, girlfriend time, hanging out with friends, full swing practice, short game practice, putting practice, working out, and oh, yeah, playing. :-\

Christian

hey bro!  good on you for the weight loss!  just a small tidbit - the thought that someone with more muscle burns calories at a resting state is true...but its a very small increase.  not a difference that is that great.

Colin P.

hey bro!  good on you for the weight loss!  just a small tidbit - the thought that someone with more muscle burns calories at a resting state is true...but its a very small increase.  not a difference that is that great.

Que? :hmm:

I must have missed a post or something discussing that subject.

Christian

Did the title of this thread just change?

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Haha, seems like it. I guess it makes sense since I'm way past 1,000 posts.

Christian

Haha, seems like it.

I guess it makes sense since I'm way past 1,000 posts.

I don't like it. It caused me literally seconds of confusion. Seconds! Approaching a minute! I'm positively aswoon from this vertiginous development.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I don't like it. It caused me literally seconds of confusion. Seconds! Approaching a minute! I'm positively aswoon from this vertiginous development.

Ya know, when I clicked on it earlier today I thought something was different but didn't put my finger on it so think about how many seconds I was confused!

That should give you a healthy handicap cut aye?

Regards

Mailman

Haha, no doubt.  On the drive home on Saturday my friend, who carries a 15 HC, asked me what my HC was and when I told him 29 he was like, "with your swing, there's no way are you a 29 HC."

Felt kind of cool but at the same time it's probably an indication of how bad my short game and putting are. :-$ / :-(

Christian

Whoa!! Who moved my cheese!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

[quote name="dkolo" url="/t/78581/rfkfreaks-journal-about-golf-past-present-and-future/90_30#post_1146646"]Did the title of this thread just change?

Whoa!! Who moved my cheese![/quote] It definitely feels like the Earth's axis of rotation is off a bit. Gonna take some getting used to. And crap, I meant to post my 1000th here too. At least the new title provides some forgiveness for my forgetfulness.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell: